1/64 nitro cooling head?

Learn how to chop a body properly, how to install alloy rims, and more. If it's about makin' it look good, it belongs here.
chrome
bitNinja

1/64 nitro cooling head?

Post by chrome »

I'm working on a "Truggy" bit for the contest and I need something that looks like the cooling head on a nitro engine. Anybody got any ideas on what I could use? I thought about cutting styrene and stocking it, but it would be hard to get it round.

I'm putting it on a monster chassis using Sinned's Mini-T conversion. I'll be using a Dodge Ram that's dremel'd out to sit low. I'm considering cutting the chassis to get it even lower.

For those of you that don't know what a truggy looks like here is an example.

Later,
Chrome...
Intelligence is knowing what you don't know.
betty.k
bitPimp

Post by betty.k »

pull a cheap lektric razor apart :-)
i used to be cool
hue35
bitPimp

Re: 1/64 nitro cooling head?

Post by hue35 »

chrome wrote:I thought about cutting styrene and stocking it, but it would be hard to get it round.
Start with a solid round styrene cylinder, cut the notches out with a razor saw and paint it silver. You could also start with a wood dowel, then primer it and paint it.
chrome
bitNinja

Re: 1/64 nitro cooling head?

Post by chrome »

hue35 wrote:
chrome wrote:I thought about cutting styrene and stocking it, but it would be hard to get it round.
Start with a solid round styrene cylinder, cut the notches out with a razor saw and paint it silver. You could also start with a wood dowel, then primer it and paint it.
I like the styrene cylinder idea, didn't know it came in solid versions. I'll have to swing by the local hobby shop this weekend. I'm not sure I could get fine enough cuts on the wood dowel though.

Later,
Chrome...
betty.k
bitPimp

Post by betty.k »

how about a stack of washers of alternating sizes, like big small big small etc.
i used to be cool
chrome
bitNinja

Post by chrome »

Would have to be some damn small washers. Maybe the ones for the monsters. But, would I be able to find two of alternating sizes that small? I'm not sure that I could. I'm thinking the solid styrene rod is probably my best bet at the moment.

Later,
Chrome...
steelwoolghandi
bitPimp

Post by steelwoolghandi »

chrome wrote:Would have to be some damn small washers. Maybe the ones for the monsters. But, would I be able to find two of alternating sizes that small? I'm not sure that I could. I'm thinking the solid styrene rod is probably my best bet at the moment.

Later,
Chrome...
I have a scrap box of old model kits that I bash from. Spru from model parts is solid and would work and you would not have to buy it.
My other hangout! R7R
My Bitpimps Gallery of Pics:
SuperFly
bitPimp

Post by SuperFly »

I'd go the easy route and get one of those Muscle Machines choppers and rip the engine out of it. Air-cooled motorcycle engine looks about right, doesn't it?
codesuidae
bitPlaya'

Post by codesuidae »

Chuck some 1/8 or 3/16 brass rod/wood dowel into the lathe/drill/dremel and cut some rings around it using a cutting tool (lathe tool, hacksaw blade, etc). file or sandpaper into round while its spinning.
evoraptor
bitNinja

Post by evoraptor »

You could use an x-acto and do it the old fashioned way.. :-)
chrome
bitNinja

Post by chrome »

SuperFly wrote:I'd go the easy route and get one of those Muscle Machines choppers and rip the engine out of it. Air-cooled motorcycle engine looks about right, doesn't it?
Damn good idea superfly. I believe I've found the answer. The lathe was the first idea I had Code, but unfortunately my Dad sold his lathe and I don't have one.

Later,
Chrome...
beanoman
bitGangsta'

Post by beanoman »

Hmmm, clay could work- Sculpy clay would be good, as it gets extremely hard after it is baked. Then a few sprays, and done. You can get alot of detail in as long as you dont squish it before you bake it :-(.

bean
Fordman212
bitHood

Post by Fordman212 »

I don't know if you have any or not, but, some lego models (18 wheeler trucks for example) came with "chrome" smoke stacks. You could use a piece of that, it would look perfect.
beanoman
bitGangsta'

Post by beanoman »

Just thought of a good piece to use.. Rip the tuning coil off a old reciever board :-).

beano
sg219
bitPimp

Post by sg219 »

beanoman wrote:Just thought of a good piece to use.. Rip the tuning coil off a old reciever board :-).

beano
Now I think thats pretty cool of a idea!! :-o

If we had that "+" and "-" karma thingy here, I'd put a point up. :lol: