Micro buggy started...

Learn how to chop a body properly, how to install alloy rims, and more. If it's about makin' it look good, it belongs here.
Sporttracguy
bitNinja

Micro buggy started...

Post by Sporttracguy »

Ok pimps, ive been thinking about doing a micro buggy for some time now. Last night i had some free time to start working on a prototype. The goal is to keep it under the size of a zzmt with a full suspension, zzse electronics...stuff like that. It may not look like much yet but here is what i finished last night. Oh, and if anyone is curious, the wheels and tires are from a $1.49 wallmart special ATV, they are rubber and have awsome grip. The rims extended inside the tires to make them hard and stiff but i removed the rim and ground it down to give the tires some room to flex, worked quite well. I then had to glue the tires to the rim.

Im working on the end of a brass rod, when i finish ill cut it short and mount it to a plastic frame that im working on.

STG
Zenith
bitGangsta'

Post by Zenith »

You just dont stop do you? :lol:

I'm not gonna be able to wait for this one!
steelwoolghandi
bitPimp

Post by steelwoolghandi »

1/64 scale?
hey maybe you could do a tut on how to solder brass together I know that many including I would like to see how its done.

looking forward to the buggy man great start! :-o
My other hangout! R7R
My Bitpimps Gallery of Pics:
Sporttracguy
bitNinja

Post by Sporttracguy »

Yeah, its about 1:64th scale,, maybe a little bigger just because most buggies tend to be smaller in real life :???:

Yeah, i can write something up but quite honestly, a high quality super glue holds just as well as solder and its cleaner and easier to work with. You will have to go over your work with a few layers, roughen up all the materials to be mated together and I would suggenst to get a super glue with a brush in the bottle. You also need to be sure when you adhere two pieces together that they fit correctly, if there are gaps and poor fittings then the super glue will not hold up...Thats where alot of the detailed work comes in.

STG
Tuner1989
bitNinja

Post by Tuner1989 »

Your at it again? Sign me up! :-o
Clint
bitPimp

Post by Clint »

That's gonna be a sweet little buggy.

p.s. Thanks for getting me hooked on brass.
:-D
HACHI-RYOKU
bitPimp

Post by HACHI-RYOKU »

Hell's yeah! I support this evolution.
Cause I ride around town on my low-rider bicycle.
Sporttracguy
bitNinja

Post by Sporttracguy »

A side note on those tires. Today i went to walmart to pick up a set of chrome rims to replace the green ones i had before. Turns out those exact same tires come in different hardnesses (not sure if there is a way to tell if you dont open the box and try them out) :???: The tires that came on the chrome rims were hard as a rock :o and even the inside of the rim was structured differently...so i would be willing to guess that the army colored atv has the softer tires but dont quote me on it...its sort of a crap shoot..anyways, to make a long story short, i just switched the origional tires and put the new rims on...just a heads up for anyone that may want to give those tires a try
STG
Sporttracguy
bitNinja

Post by Sporttracguy »

Ok guys, here is a bit of an update. I installed the shocks, drivelines, motor (with red ss pinion gear for more speed) , chrome wheels and the gear cover. THe extending shock mounts will also be mounts for the rear buggy wing.

For those drive shafts, i got tired of making U joints and since this is only rear wheel drive i discovered a different way ot doing things. I searched far and wide for the perfect springs(hardwear stores, hobby stores, junk droors...) but i just couldnt find a spring that would work for my purpose. THen, last night i was tinkering with a broken Bic lighter, the spring flew across the room and solved my problem :-o I still have a few camber issues to adjust but all in all the back end is working out nicely.

For those shocks, they are for an offroad slot car. The springs were too soft so i modified them to fit a set of zzmt shocks and they are just perfect. Its scary how well those mystery parts came together.

Anyways, on to the front end and the chassis.

STG
civicsr2cool
bitNinja

Post by civicsr2cool »

if those springs dont hold up id suggest some type of string like fishing line or some metal braided cable, these were my ideas that i was thinkin bout with sinned's mini mini-t.
[]D [] []V[] []D
Sporttracguy
bitNinja

Post by Sporttracguy »

Here is a little mock up as to where it COULD go. I cant say for sure, I'm just trying to see what works and what doesn't. I think i will need to finish the two front suspension arms and the steering seperately before i mount them on the chassis (thats an experimental chassis, ill make a new one for the final piece)

STG
Sporttracguy
bitNinja

Buggy almost done!!!

Post by Sporttracguy »

Ok guys, ive been working on this thing non stop for the last few hours and she is almost done. :eek: I finished the front suspension and mounted it up at an angle (like the mini t is) I also mounted the steering box. and finished the chassis (for the most part). So now all that is left to do is hook up the steering struts, wire it all up, trim a few brass pieces that are too long and make a buggy body for it.

STG
honda_s2000
bitNinja

Post by honda_s2000 »

Can we say ........ WOW ! :-)

That is absolutely awsome dude !
Heaps of props 8)
We don't need no god damn roads!
Nasphere
bitNinja

Re: Buggy almost done!!!

Post by Nasphere »

Sporttracguy wrote:So now all that is left to do is hook up the steering struts, wire it all up, trim a few brass pieces that are too long and make a buggy body for it.
You make it WAY too hard to keep up... Great work!
Whack!
grimmreap3r

Post by grimmreap3r »

I got to get me one of em buggies!

Doesnt thoes springs kinda cause friction?

Anyways, that gearbox layout looks good for a 4WD buggy! I would make extened gearbox and then make it belt drive.
like pizza