One down 3 to go MMO alloy wheels

Learn how to chop a body properly, how to install alloy rims, and more. If it's about makin' it look good, it belongs here.
clxfiles
bitPlaya'

Post by clxfiles »

Those are friggin BADASS!!!! UMMM... When do they go on sale?
LBRC
bitGangsta'

Post by LBRC »

Sale? Hm maybe, once I get the anodizing and dyeing process down, can consistently turn out sets of 4 matching wheels that I’m not too ashamed of, have enough for my cars, then yes I will try to make some to sell. The “when” part is hard to pin down though I still have a long way to go.

And yet another version.
Dyed red,
Good pic of the ball bearing with pressed axle on the knuckle, with just a bit of lock-tight on the outer bearing rim the wheel stays on nicely and can still be coaxed off if needed, but not easily. Another nice accident is that you can choose how far to press the axle into the knuckle adjusting the wheel offset slightly to match your body.
crazydave
bitPimp

Post by crazydave »

A nice true wheel with a bearing would be so amazing. :shock:
You can definatly add me to the jealous club. :-)

I was thinking, how hard would it be to give it a flat lip around the edge? It would be cool if you could anodize it, then take it off around the lip, with sandpaper or something. I'm figureing the silver around the edge would give the anodizing some contrast.
...crazy man, crazy...dig it.
crazydave's Gallery
Ratfink says: "Man, it's the craziest"
LBRC
bitGangsta'

Post by LBRC »

Something like this,
looks like it might do the trick, need to find what I did with the 1500 grit sand paper to give it some polish. Theoretically it could even be re-anodized then the ring could be dyed different color.
beanoman
bitGangsta'

Post by beanoman »

I like the dish rims the most.. But damn, ball bearing aluminum rims in a zz.. I dont know if I could adjust :lol:.
sg219
bitPimp

Post by sg219 »

:shock:

This is killer!! :cool:
HirotoR34
bitPimp

Post by HirotoR34 »

it just keeps getting better and better.....do you accept paypal? :-)
LBRC
bitGangsta'

Post by LBRC »

Seemed to me that the rear dish wheels would be a bit heavy if left solid, unfortunately hollowing them out raises the minor problem of mounting the gear in such a way that you can change it if needed.
Trying a couple of ideas but nothing I’m truly happy with yet. Am also experimenting with a stiffer piano wire axle since the ZZ axles have a tendency to bend.

This is just a test rim, but the photo doesn’t do it justice, its pure sex even if I do say so myself, ignore the hole I drilled it all the way through to make it easier to take some measurements.
Another problem is what to do to preserve the finish on a mirror polish bare metal dish, since anodizing changes the color and bare aluminum is too easy to scratch.
betty.k
bitPimp

Post by betty.k »

i understand how polished aluminium is difficult to capture, try putting something in the pic with it.
this was all i came up with for my xmod heatsink:

the problem, as you said, is keeping it that pretty. that heat sink would start to look dull within 3 days!
my thoughts are apply a clearcoat of some sort. perhaps a clear epoxy paint :???:
i used to be cool
LBRC
bitGangsta'

Post by LBRC »

Have to see what I can find in the way of a hard clear enamal, nice way to show a mirror finish. Was going to try the anodizing sealant step alone today to see if it helped any, but thanks to a blown fuse on the power pole transformer things sort of went to crap.

Important anodizing note; do not leave parts in an acid anodizing take for 8 hours, also if power goes off turn the tank power off that way when it comes back on your parts might have a chance of surviving. Apparently when the parts reach the “dissolution point” the anodized layer can’t grow any thicker and the acid starts to dissolve the aluminum, sort of messes up things like bearing, screw, and axle holes, turning a whole weekends work into scrap metal.
frizzen
bitDisciple

Post by frizzen »

For the polished aluminum thing, try finding some "Zoop Seal".

As for your power going out and killing everything, how bad is it?
Jack of all trades, master of none; yet often better than master of one.
-
End genital mutilation, don't circumcise. Restore your fore'
LBRC
bitGangsta'

Post by LBRC »

Thanks, looks like the Zoop seal or somthing like it might just do the trick.

Power FuPA Casualties:
>3 Epoch motor mounts, motor and bearing holes now enlarged beyond use, screw holes too large for 2-56.
>3 ZZ wheel sets; 6 Rear wheels with axle holes enlarged so that axles are loose. 6 Front wheels with bearing holes that no longer hold bearings tight.

Not devastating, just enough to sort of suck the enthusiasm right out of you.