One down 3 to go MMO alloy wheels

Learn how to chop a body properly, how to install alloy rims, and more. If it's about makin' it look good, it belongs here.
LBRC
bitGangsta'

One down 3 to go MMO alloy wheels

Post by LBRC »

Picked up a new toy for my little shop, Grizzly G4000 metal lathe, for a learning project decided to try to “make my own” alloy wheels. Not bad for a first attempt of course now I have to see if I can duplicate it three more times :???: .

Would have looked much better if I left a little raised post in the center instead of a smooth indent, maybe next try. Also don’t have what I need to polish it right, have decided that a vibratory tumbler is a definite addition to my wish list.

For this mod you will need:
One Metal Lathe
One Micro Mill
One Rotary table
T6551 0.5” aluminum round stock
Assorted cutting tools and drill bits
A good dial or digital caliper
Practice and patience.
After attempting to make my own I have decided that the Scala43 wheels are down right cheep when all is said and done.
clxfiles
bitPlaya'

Post by clxfiles »

Not sure if you're gonna stick with it or not but that is one fine looking rim.
CaboWabo
Site Admin

Re: One down 3 to go MMO alloy wheels

Post by CaboWabo »

LBRC wrote:After attempting to make my own I have decided that the Scala43 wheels are down right cheep when all is said and done.
Yup, unfortunately that's the same thing everyone else who's tried has found out.
Which sucks.
But I have to say, you did an excellent job. I want those. lol
At least you got a set you made and not just bought.
Dear Life Cereal, Where do you get off? Part of a balanced breakfast and delicious? Who do you think you are? By now you may have guessed I'm speaking ironically and have nothing but good things to say about what you do. Life cereal do not change a thing.
Maxximum Attack
bitDisciple

Post by Maxximum Attack »

They look kinda like lambo rims. Those are sweet man.
sg219
bitPimp

Post by sg219 »

Maxximum Attack wrote:They look kinda like lambo rims. Those are sweet man.
They would look GREAT on the little one!! :cool:

LBRC
bitGangsta'

Post by LBRC »

Could always anodize them green. :cool:
sg219
bitPimp

Post by sg219 »

LBRC wrote:Could always anodize them green. :cool:
Brillant!

I'd kill for a set of those.... :blazin:

Are you working from a sketch or just wingin' it?
betty.k
bitPimp

Post by betty.k »

so, uh, how much for a set...... :lol:

fucking awesome work, and easily made with common household items! :-o
i used to be cool
hue35
bitPimp

Post by hue35 »

Holy shit! :-o
crazydave
bitPimp

Post by crazydave »

betty.k wrote:and easily made with common household items! :-o
Uh, yeah, let's all make a set! :-D

Really though, those are awesome. I'd pay extra for wheels purpose made for bit/zip tires.

I like the indent in the middle. A hub would probably be cool too, but I like the indent.
...crazy man, crazy...dig it.
crazydave's Gallery
Ratfink says: "Man, it's the craziest"
LBRC
bitGangsta'

Post by LBRC »

sg219 wrote:
LBRC wrote:Could always anodize them green. :cool:
Are you working from a sketch or just wingin' it?
Just winged it more or less, I remembered a set of Mini-Z aluminum wheels I thought looked hot, by Tagu I think, so with a dial caliper, ZZSE axle, wide wheel spacer, and tire I went to town.

Since I decided I really like the single piece wide wheels and want more than one set I went ahead and turned a custom holder/clamp for the rotary table to simplify one of the more tedious steps. Next I plan on grinding a custom face cutter to simplify, clean/smooth, and standardize the dish cut on the front. With luck I might actually be able to make a set of 4 in an hour or so instead of an average one wheel per hour or more.

Hadn’t planed on making any to sell, but if I can simplify the process down to a manageable time frame and pop out a few sets that aren’t too embarrassing I will put them up “Fo’ Sale” but don’t hold your breath, last night I decided I had to try something for my ZZMT, also want something for an Epoch, not to mention the Epoch Diff which was my primary justification when replacing the Unimat with the new hulking big (300 lbs)monster of a bench top lathe.

I decided I needed to anodize my Epoch motor mounts so a couple of weeks ago I phoned Ron Newman who sells a guide book and small (shop sized) quantities of cleaners and dies, the guy's great after explaning what I wanted to do and my space limitations instead of the larger kits he sold me a one galon demo kit left over from a trade show that should be perfect for my space limited mini shop. But the USPS let us down and lost the package, however last night the tracking number/package magically showed up just a few hundred miles south of me, with luck it might make it here today and only 18 days late. Unfortunately I only ordered red, blue, and gold dies, very inconsiderate and forgetful of me I know, however if the process works though I'll put an order in for green, maybe orange, and black too.
sg219
bitPimp

Post by sg219 »

LBRC wrote:however if the process works though I'll put an order in for green, maybe orange, and black too.
He said green. :greenblob:

:lol:

I've seen that page pop up several times. Great info. I'm glad to hear someone from around here is finally going to try out his method.

Be sure to hook us up with some demo pics of the process. :-o
ynad
bitNinja

Post by ynad »

hue35 wrote:Holy shit! :-o
:eek: :-o :-o
LBRC
bitGangsta'

Post by LBRC »

sg219 wrote: I've seen that page pop up several times. Great info. I'm glad to hear someone from around here is finally going to try out his method.

Be sure to hook us up with some demo pics of the process. :-o
Will do, chemicals and guide book arrived today, have started to put the line together can tell you right off the bat that even the little mini part setup I’m planning on is not for the faint of pocket book. Even with the parts I already have on hand such as an old 40-200 watt battery charger/starter that I’m converting into a power supply I will easily be well into the $200 dollar range before I can dip my first part, $50 for the one gallon mini-kit (three dyes, cleaner, and Desmut), $20 for the guide book, $12 shipping, $20 worth of battery (sulfuric) acid, then there’s containers, heaters, agitators, holders, buss bars and cathodes for the acid tank, stainless steel hardware, yep about $200 just to start. Since I eventually want a low maintenance permanent semi-pro setup that will allow me to do a small part whenever I want without wasting hours just setting up the line I expect that the final total will be more like four to five hundred and that’s not counting one or two small vibratory tumblers for polishing parts. Sounds a little expensive but I suspect in the long run it just might break even, my wife is much happier if some of my toys make a pretence at least of paying for themselves, lol you never know when someone might be desperate for a set of green wheels.
Mad_Maxx
bitThug

Post by Mad_Maxx »

How does the Bit drive with those????
Kinda dragster looking...good for stunts!
Owner of "Sunshine Autos" V(enice)ice City
My Gallery
http://bitpimps.lixlink.com/pages/phpGa ... ?cat=10108