High Profile Wheel Mod

Learn how to chop a body properly, how to install alloy rims, and more. If it's about makin' it look good, it belongs here.
HirotoR34
bitPimp

High Profile Wheel Mod

Post by HirotoR34 »

Ok, I'll start off saying that I suck at tutorials, so bear with me. I picked up a Jada Toys Dub City High Profile diecast to use the H2 body on a new project.
The more I looked at the wheels, I figured out a way to adapt them to the MT and still have the ability to change tires.

Here we go.....

First off, here's the shizat I used:

Drill with various sized bits
Dremel with cutoff wheel and barrel shaped grinding bit
Hot goo gun
nail file (jacked from da wife's nail kit)
exacto
Two sets of MT wheels (can't get rid of em fast enough)

Start off by taking one wheel and use the dremel to cut the outer rim away from the inner by using small cuts as shown....
Take another rim and do the opposite and remove the inner rim from the outer. I did this by first drilling the inner until I ran out of larger bits. Then I used the barrel grinder bit to cut out the rest til it was about where the
red line is. Basically, you want the die cast rim to be able to fit into the hole.

And this is what you want to end up wit. Make sure to use the file to clean up all your cuts, otherwise it'll come out like shit.....

Now time to remove the new rims from the diecast. The best way to do this is by using two pairs of pliers Start by clamping one pair on the axle against the wheels backspacer, then clamping the other pair right next to the first pair on the axle and squeezing both together to slide the rim off the axle. I almost broke one figuring this out. They don't come off easy...

Next you want to cut the back spacer off. I heated up an exacto blade and gently cut it off. I also cut off the tabs that go around the rim....at this point take a break have a beer or two and heat up your glue gun

Now, take the new rim and mount the tire as shown...

Take the inner rim and mount it to the axle backwards as if you were reversing your stock rims

The two surfaces you want to bond with hot glue are highlighted by the red. also look at above pic for another reference

I use hot glue because it allows you to adjust the wheel so that it rotates smooth and true. Adjust carefully and somewhat quickly before the glue cools completely (I waited about 3 minutes or so....)

When everythings solid, carefully fill the back area of the new rim assembly with hot glue. It's easier to take the axles completely out of your MT so that you can do this.........

Put it all back together and enjoy! And yes, you can change tires after it's all said and done........

:-o
Last edited by HirotoR34 on Sun Mar 19, 2006 5:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sg219
bitPimp

Post by sg219 »

I like the yellow. I've been abusing yellow as a second color lately.

Cool mod, and awesome results!!! :cool:
clxfiles
bitPlaya'

Post by clxfiles »

Nice mod!!! I haven' t taken the dive into the MTs yet but with mods like this and the price of the cars slashed in half, I'm gonna have to get one.
civicsr2cool
bitNinja

Post by civicsr2cool »

u still have the spinners on?

great mod!
[]D [] []V[] []D
payaso
bitPimp

Post by payaso »

Awesome dude.. That looks great. Any vid of it in action? That's be cool.

silla :D
payaso...... :)

"Imagination is everything. It's the preview to lifes coming attractions" -Albert Einstein