Targa top/Convertible mod

Learn how to chop a body properly, how to install alloy rims, and more. If it's about makin' it look good, it belongs here.
SkysTheLimit
bitHood

Targa top/Convertible mod

Post by SkysTheLimit »

Whats da easiest way to do this mod? I just want some input from you experts here, an all the ways its been done.

I got my own ways, but :???:

hue35
bitPimp

Post by hue35 »

What are you starting with? For me it would depend on the body I'm modding, but I'd either rough-cut the openings with an x-acto knife, a micro saw, or a dremel. Then I'd fine-tune with a file, then an emery board and fine sandpaper.
SuperFly
bitPimp

Post by SuperFly »

I just took the top off if a 350z, and I used an xacto saw with a mitre box (to make the vertical cut right behind the windshield), a regular xacto (to make the horizontal cuts right at the base of the side windows), and a dremel (the rear pillars and to speed up the horizontal cuts by coming through from the inside with a cutoff wheel). It was pretty ugly, but I just left lots of "margin," and then fine-tuned with files and sandpaper. I'd say that's the key, making sure to leave the final cutting and edge-forming to tools like emery boards or sandpaper. Anything else runs too big a risk of fatally messing up.
frizzen
bitDisciple

Post by frizzen »

I'd use normal sewing thread to cut it, hit it with a file to clean up anything still rough. Maybe an x-acto or Razor knife if it's anything really weird you wanna try. The rest of the stuff is about the same as how everybody else suggested
Jack of all trades, master of none; yet often better than master of one.
-
End genital mutilation, don't circumcise. Restore your fore'
crazydave
bitPimp

Post by crazydave »

SuperFly wrote:I just took the top off if a 350z, and I used an xacto saw with a mitre box (to make the vertical cut right behind the windshield), a regular xacto (to make the horizontal cuts right at the base of the side windows), and a dremel (the rear pillars and to speed up the horizontal cuts by coming through from the inside with a cutoff wheel). It was pretty ugly, but I just left lots of "margin," and then fine-tuned with files and sandpaper. I'd say that's the key, making sure to leave the final cutting and edge-forming to tools like emery boards or sandpaper. Anything else runs too big a risk of fatally messing up.
Ditto (everything except the 350z part)

Thanks Superfly, you just saved me bunch of typeing. :-)
...crazy man, crazy...dig it.
crazydave's Gallery
Ratfink says: "Man, it's the craziest"