AWD HO scale zip zap

Learn how to chop a body properly, how to install alloy rims, and more. If it's about makin' it look good, it belongs here.
SHAUN
bitDisciple

Post by SHAUN »

I'm pretty sure they do.......

I'm loving this project.
1000+ post of BS.
civicsr2cool
bitNinja

Post by civicsr2cool »

ibjamn wrote:Ummm... I thought the ball inflaters had a hole in the tips. :?

lol they do but its more of a slit. and have you ever seen a ball inflater that short?

but if you need to know, i used my dremel for EVERYTHING because i have no drill or anything else for the matter.

very cheap bit for woodworking with tape wrapped around to fit inside dremel bit :grin:

STEADY STEADY hands is what it comes down too :-o
[]D [] []V[] []D
ibjamn
bitDisciple

Post by ibjamn »

You gotta use whatever is available, to get the job done :-o

Wow. Check the clarity of those cinderblock walls. I love how you captured the textures :lol: :lol:

Just messin with ya.
civicsr2cool
bitNinja

Post by civicsr2cool »

ibjamn wrote:You gotta use whatever is available, to get the job done :-o

Wow. Check the clarity of those cinderblock walls. I love how you captured the textures :lol: :lol:

Just messin with ya.
ya, phone cam sucks balls, it was far nuff away from the cam but still aint work.
Last edited by civicsr2cool on Sat Sep 05, 2009 6:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[]D [] []V[] []D
civicsr2cool
bitNinja

Re: last project w.i.p.

Post by civicsr2cool »

Sorry for the delay on things. DT has gotten me more on-board with this build by challenging us so its time to dust it off and get back to work.

I have spent approx. 50+ bucks lately on materials and I still have yet to find a good solution for mounting the rims. It has been my biggest problem for the last few years, tying to find a solution to a removable rim so that I can do drive train repair and shit.

E-clips have crossed my mind, micro t axles may be the only way I see this one happening since I don't have a lathe to put a groove in my axles. But I don't know the size of a micro t axle so I have not explored this option that much.

A d-ring like on x-mods would work well but then I'd have to make a d pattern in the rim and then dye tap the axle, do they even make dyes that damn small?

Next option is HO slot threaded axles, by far my favorite idea. Only problem is no one will give me a quote on how long there axles are. None of them look to be long enough. Not about to pay $30 for the set and it not be wide enough.

Do any of you pimps have an idea how I can tackle this? I need to be able to slide the axle back through knuckle for maintenance and be able to torque the rims on without putting load on the drive train/cvd since its on the brittle side.

Other shit I have had to redesign are the front cvds. The universals proved to not hold up under higher rpm, only worked at little above crawling speeds then got really unbalanced then boom. I really wish I could get my hands on a set of these to test out but I have not heard back from them since they probably don't wanna deal with Americans for business.
Here is the manual for assembling those, they look extremely tough.

SPRING AXLES. I started collecting as many tiny springs as I could find and over the last 3 years, I found a few that will work. Just need to solder them to the axles and see how well they can gold up to some torque. (laziness has stopped me from doing this earlier)

Electronics will more than likely be the Iwaver board. I bought an xtrek in hoping to use that but lag issues kept me far from that.

Another issue I am having is power supply. Where in the hell can I buy micro li-po's now a days? I remember back a few years ago we could buy the TINY ass li-po's that were i believe 80mah and fit in an se. That's approx the size I need. I have found these fuckers from a link posted here but still wish to find more sizes. I know back in the day there were ass loads of choices..

As far as giving yal some progress pictures, you will be able to see them when its in first place in this years contest :razz:
Just messing with yal, I will throw some more up soon, its easier to imagine ideas with the parts and standpoints to look at.
[]D [] []V[] []D
betty.k
bitPimp

Post by betty.k »

just give up now dude, there's no way you can get this done in time......... :smile:

nothing like negative reenforcement to motivate!!

you got them axles threaded? if so, lock nuts!! whack a nut on, then the wheel then torque another nut onto the first nut.
i used to be cool
civicsr2cool
bitNinja

Post by civicsr2cool »

betty.k wrote:just give up now dude, there's no way you can get this done in time......... :smile:

nothing like negative reenforcement to motivate!!

you got them axles threaded? if so, lock nuts!! whack a nut on, then the wheel then torque another nut onto the first nut.
I have been busy as hell past two days getting me some custom axles made and custom rims lathed for this ride!

Rims are going to be same model as these but lathed out of aluminum with the threaded hub instead of delrin: Image

I am having him take a regular slot car axle for the rear and cutting it to the length I need, then threading it for me. Then for the front I am just ordering one of the regular ones to chop up for the front.

Cant wait to see some alloys on this thing with foam tires!
[]D [] []V[] []D