AWD HO scale zip zap

Learn how to chop a body properly, how to install alloy rims, and more. If it's about makin' it look good, it belongs here.
civicsr2cool
bitNinja

AWD HO scale zip zap

Post by civicsr2cool »

well id like to have an awd zz before i ship out to boot camp november 13th since after i get out you all may not be here, and id love to enter the year end contest.

i have been working on it for a few months, workin an hour a week maybe.
i have everything just layed out just waiting to be assembled, just no time!!! :sad: its killer.

pics are better than words....

sorry my camera sucks balls, my i930 has a fucked lens ever since it went through the wash..:?
black doesnt show up no matter what i try, well nothing does really.

really wish i had more time for the body, i wanted to get another to hack up for vertical doors.
Last edited by civicsr2cool on Sun Sep 06, 2009 9:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[]D [] []V[] []D
honda_s2000
bitNinja

Post by honda_s2000 »

Wow, I think you posted on MRCC about this, but whenever I hear of AWD bit/zz I close my ears :lol:

The front end looks like some serious buisness! You know, if you could make it happen, total up all the parts, buy them in bulk, and sell these, you'd have every kid in the country wanting one.

Imagine, Micro drifting competitions, awd touring cars, heck even GPM might have parts released. - Ok that was all dreaming, but seriously, good luck man, I really hope it works out.

Body looks killer too! :-o
We don't need no god damn roads!
PUBE JOOLZ
bitGangsta'

Post by PUBE JOOLZ »

Man this is something i gotta see. I've been wanting to mod the steering mechanism for so long and i think this will add to my education.

Goodluck man and hope to see the progress soon!

:-o
Heeehah!
frizzen
bitDisciple

Post by frizzen »

I see a gutted steering box to make room for some U-joints and slotcar gears, how do you control steering?

I've got the feeling, that once somebody *finally* gets one built that works, it's going to be bigger than Articulating a ZZ-M became.
Jack of all trades, master of none; yet often better than master of one.
-
End genital mutilation, don't circumcise. Restore your fore'
ibjamn
bitDisciple

Post by ibjamn »

There is a lot of talk over at tiny about this also. I'm not holding my breath for it until I see a steering set up finalized :cool:
Maxximum Attack
bitDisciple

Post by Maxximum Attack »

ibjamn wrote:There is a lot of talk over at tiny about this also. I'm not holding my breath for it until I see a steering set up finalized :cool:
I just had a slight epiphany, I popped over on tiny and did a little poking around, and I think I've come up with a relatively easy steering solution.

Not sure if it would be feasable but it uses bit-style steering, but inverted. Instead of having a dynamic magnet in the middle, this magnet would be stationary. With the steering coils attached to the knuckles. The knuckles would then have a tie-rod so that it works both wheels in steering.

When left is pressed, the right knuckle coil is magnitised, turning the wheel inward and hence left. This is assuming the steering coils are mounted forward of the axles. It would work normally if the coils are mounted behind the axles, but there might not be enough room behind them (making clearence for the wheels with full lock etc). The very small tierod, should be easily tucked in undernieth the driveshaft.

And there you have it, steering by Maxx :cool:
No servo, no extra weight.

Propo would just be a pain in the ass.

I guess I could draw a picture of what I mean later on, but I think that was pretty clear :-)

Maxx
civicsr2cool
bitNinja

Post by civicsr2cool »

steering will be easy, just throw in the se servo, and make a simple horn to tierod to the knuckles. but it is a trial and error for everything on this car so far...

started off with this..

and 4 or 5 sets of knuckles later i have what is up top. this one will not have any suspension at the moment but would be an easy upgrade down the road. my hardest hurdle on this project has been figuring out the stering, and im confident enough to say i have that ALL planned out. its just time now, and i am making plans this weekend. i am free-ing my day up to work on it!!

@frizzen-- i can so see this being the new cool thing to do lmao :-D
[]D [] []V[] []D
ibjamn
bitDisciple

Post by ibjamn »

@frizzen-- i can so see this being the new cool thing to do lmao
:lol: But would it be Grander than the ZZMT articulation mod :???:
frizzen
bitDisciple

Post by frizzen »

ibjamn,
Alas, I fear you are correct. It shall be more popular than Elvis, and far greater than Jesus. Still even then it shant be more grand than the Articulation of a zz-m. :-o :-D

I also reallize my sarcasm is too subtle.

-
I mean, I'm not hi-jacking a thread.... I spy with my little eye, something dogbone.
Jack of all trades, master of none; yet often better than master of one.
-
End genital mutilation, don't circumcise. Restore your fore'
civicsr2cool
bitNinja

Post by civicsr2cool »

lol yes the mt artic mod has been the greatest of all, but this should be up there in second.

i had a chance to work on it for a few hours today... and i must say, those fucking germans are insane!!

i had my way at a u joint today, after scrapping a few i got it down :-D this WILL be having suspension up front. just gotta work on a design for rear suspension..

and yes frizzen, there are cup joints in the knuckles. original no suspension desing was going to have a dog bone, but now its going cvd!

and just to note.. it is running on brass bushings and the drivetrain is metal except for gears. hopefully its smooth, so far so good no binding.
[]D [] []V[] []D
honda_s2000
bitNinja

Post by honda_s2000 »

hmm, it's a tough one, artic mod or AWD zz. I'm very much an offroad fan, but I'd love to be finally able to drift on my desk 8-)
betty.k
bitPimp

Post by betty.k »

this looks great, should make an awesome table top drifter! :-o
i used to be cool
honda_s2000
bitNinja

Post by honda_s2000 »

Tell ya what', you get this thing finished, and i'll send you a camera to do the TUT with. :lol:

Seriously though, this is the most promising attempt i've seen so far. :-o
civicsr2cool
bitNinja

Post by civicsr2cool »

honda im very much an offraod fan as well.. that why id love to make suspension on all four so i can stick my evo body on there :-D

and do you guys really think this would drift when done? i never even thought of that. i just wanted awd becasue any vehicle without it is crippled lol

and i dont think there will be a need to send a cam. i am going to hunt one down soon, you guys REALLY need clearer pictures.
[]D [] []V[] []D
honda_s2000
bitNinja

Post by honda_s2000 »

Yea man, of course it would drift, heck i've spent hours and hours trying to drift a regular bit, with no success. AWD just gives the control you need, it could be done easily, Just get some very thin pvc, or even selotape/electrical tape and go for it, and you'd be drifting in no time.

I can just imagine now, i'd have a whole initial D downhill course set up in my room :-o I aint' kidding either 8-)