issue with alloys.....

Learn how to chop a body properly, how to install alloy rims, and more. If it's about makin' it look good, it belongs here.
ph2t
bitPimp

issue with alloys.....

Post by ph2t »

Another scala issue, most likely self created, lol..

I tried a few of the bushing ideas (as seen in the other scala threads) but in the end I put foil on the axles, lined with a bit of super glue. This seems to shim them up quite well and enabled a snug fit. I just couldn't get it together on the bushing side of things and at 2am in the morning my decision making skills aren't the best.....

Don't get me wrong, so far so good for my first ever conversion. (Had a set back in the day of ezenterprises' hookups, but sold them off before using them....)

The rear sit well and run relatively true, so I'm happy with that.

It's the bloody fronts..... :( , I just have a bit too much wheel wobble.... It's more on the (relative to the pic below) right than the left...

I'm thinking of re-doing the axle install but this time I'll shim up either side of the steering knuckle with some small washers or plastic cut out pieces, just to reduce the wobble.

It handes OK at the moment, it tracks a straight line OK, but I'm getting tighter cornering one way than the other. This (appears to me) to be due to the fact that the right wheel (due to the wobble) doesn't sit flat and therfore doesn't keep the traction constant and I get largish understeer that way.......

thoughts fellas???
People are mean to you because you're a fucking idiot.
honda_s2000
bitNinja

Post by honda_s2000 »

I havent seen or installed a set of alloys before, but how about using some styrene tube as a spacer, I used it when making some aftermarket wheels fit on a bit, and it worked fine, comes in a small enough dimension to sleeve the axle perfectly and spin smoothly. That way you should eliminate most of the wobble. :???:
We don't need no god damn roads!
ph2t
bitPimp

Post by ph2t »

I'll check out some pen tubes, thanks for the tip! :-o
People are mean to you because you're a fucking idiot.
betty.k
bitPimp

Post by betty.k »

i've got some brass bushings that are perfect for these, remind me when you're over next. :-)
i used to be cool
crazydave
bitPimp

Post by crazydave »

betty.k wrote:i've got some brass bushings that are perfect for these, remind me when you're over next. :-)
So where'd you get those.

Can't find any pen tips that work as well as the ones I had, and I got another set I want to to to get mounted up.
...crazy man, crazy...dig it.
crazydave's Gallery
Ratfink says: "Man, it's the craziest"
betty.k
bitPimp

Post by betty.k »

crazydave wrote:So where'd you get those.
there used to be a model boat shop near me, got them there. if you go through my old lego wheel mods you'll see em.

another idea is to use those butane refill adaptors, bound to be one the right size.
i used to be cool
DarkTari
bitPimp

Post by DarkTari »

Those look like rivets :???:

I have a set of Alloys that I fucked up on the fronts on last year and just set 'em aside. I tried brass hollow stock then redrilling them.
Figured out my issue all along was tring to use the stock axles with the end grips instead of smooth ones or nails. :?
betty.k
bitPimp

Post by betty.k »

ah well, you say potata.... :lol:

something worth mentioning, with later model se's the axle rotates inside the knuckle. this is what ph2t replicated.
i personally like the wheel to rotate around the axle and i think it causes less problems.
so i assemble the wheel and knuckle by glueing the axle end into the knuckle. set it so it's a bit too tight, let the glue dry then wiggle it a lttle until it spins free. :-o
i used to be cool