Differences in alloys

Learn how to chop a body properly, how to install alloy rims, and more. If it's about makin' it look good, it belongs here.
payaso
bitPimp

Differences in alloys

Post by payaso »

I got my new alloys from EZ today, and they are different than the ones I got from the German site.. (still totally phat though)

The German ones are one solid peice, and didn't come with the disc brakes, or calipers.. The tires are the same, and the photo etched hubs are the same..

The German alloys claim to be 9mm in size, but I ordered a 9mm set from EZ, and they're just a taco hair smaller the mine, but the 9.5mm that I got from EZ are the exact same size as what the Germans claim to be 9.0mm... (weird)

The biggest difference that I noticed is the hole through the wheel.. It's a little bigger then my others, so I'll need to fill the hole wit something to make it a snug fit...

I'll put up some pics when I get home from work...

silla :D
payaso...... :)

"Imagination is everything. It's the preview to lifes coming attractions" -Albert Einstein
CaboWabo
Site Admin

Post by CaboWabo »

I'm going to make a suggestion here about those axle holes in the rims - you can take it and run with it or just ignore me lol

here's what I'm going to do to get my axle to fit snug and straight:
- fill up the hole completely with epoxy resin
- take a small drill bit, as close to the size of the axle as possible - a little bigger or the exact size is perfect.
- now the axle should be sliding in and out with a much more snug fit, but there might still be a little play if the hole is slightly bigger than the axle.
- wrap up the end of that axle with some tape, only enough wraps to make it absolutely snug in the hole in the rim. only enough tape to fit inside the hole in the rim, trim the excess off cuz this is either where the gear needs to fit right up next to the rim or where the "nub" needs to right up next to the chassis.
- put a dab of super glue on the end of the wrapped axle, force it in to the drilled out epoxy hole, let it dry.
- go drive it.
Dear Life Cereal, Where do you get off? Part of a balanced breakfast and delicious? Who do you think you are? By now you may have guessed I'm speaking ironically and have nothing but good things to say about what you do. Life cereal do not change a thing.
sessiz
bitPimp

Post by sessiz »

Damn payaso got his too. (by now those that read the boards know mines are still in transit and this has upset me :sad: )
I'm kinda leaning towards the cabo method but with putty instead of epoxy. Ofcourse I don't have any alloy rims yet too play with so my thoughts may change. :-)
MASTER of the Harmless CHAOS!!!1!
CaboWabo
Site Admin

Post by CaboWabo »

just beware sessiz, I don't know what type of putty you have, but most putty isn't really that strong. These rims are gonna be heavier than what we're used to, a hit in the right spot and it can snap your knuckles like it did to payaso. with that kind of force, I'd hate to have to redo my axle and rim job (heh) everytime.

now we need alloy knuckles and the alloy pan chassis. :lol:
Dear Life Cereal, Where do you get off? Part of a balanced breakfast and delicious? Who do you think you are? By now you may have guessed I'm speaking ironically and have nothing but good things to say about what you do. Life cereal do not change a thing.
sessiz
bitPimp

Post by sessiz »

I don't think we'll need any putty or epoxy up front. From the pics of ez's it looks like the rims are gonna be easy to mount on the knuckles. The holes we need to fill in to get a snug fit should only be slightly bigger than the axel rod so a lil bit of putty should save time and work just as good as epoxy. Once again I reiterate I aint gots my rims yet so I dunno.
MASTER of the Harmless CHAOS!!!1!
hogjowlz
bitPimp

Post by hogjowlz »

jbkwik them suckers and then slide the pin through. id do it before mounting on the knuckle.
cj
Ex-Shack ZipPimp

Post by cj »

Got mine today (Saturday) too and mine are both one piece rims.
Pie
bitThug

Post by Pie »

hmm.. i found that i suck at drilling a perfect center hole... so i got a little bit of a solution that i use for my custom rims..

cut a slip of paper, wrap it around the axle where the rim goes, then just jam the rim on, crazy glue the whole mess, let it dry, and it should end up nice and hard. once it gets that hard, just slice away the paper that is still exposed on the axle. it's also a great, lightweight way to make spacers :-)
noxorc
bitPimp

Post by noxorc »

The WT4304 are 10mm and the WT4316 are 9mm.

I prefer the 9's over the 10s.

-nox
payaso
bitPimp

Post by payaso »

I aslo prefer the 9.0mm... I think they look more scaled out.

silla :D
payaso...... :)

"Imagination is everything. It's the preview to lifes coming attractions" -Albert Einstein
PimpIke
bitGangsta'

Post by PimpIke »

Aight, ill give all ya hint about the 11.5 rims im ordering. three letters, BUS
CaboWabo
Site Admin

Post by CaboWabo »

:lol: that's gonna pimp PimpIke!
can't wait to see
PimpIke
bitGangsta'

Post by PimpIke »

ever heard of a fender flared dub rollin' slammed to the fawking ground, japanese bus?
CaboWabo
Site Admin

Post by CaboWabo »

PimpIke
bitGangsta'

Post by PimpIke »

bit sized.... LOL