Which glue to use?

Learn how to chop a body properly, how to install alloy rims, and more. If it's about makin' it look good, it belongs here.
bigboi24
bitThug

Which glue to use?

Post by bigboi24 »

Which glue should I use to bond metal objects like Brass coat hangers? Super glue just seems to break easily. Any suggestions?
SHAUN
bitDisciple

Post by SHAUN »

JB Weld
1000+ post of BS.
sidewinder
bitProphet

Post by sidewinder »

SHAUN wrote:JB Weld
JB Quick, it sets in 4 minutes and cures much quicker. But yeah...JB Weld (Just asl for JB Quick Weld) or pick up a micro torch for a couple of bucks (5-10 dollars) and some saftey silver and learn to solder. Fire! fun! What's not to love?
The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities. - Ayn Rand
SHAUN
bitDisciple

Post by SHAUN »

I have used a butane torch to solder some slot car stuff, but people complained about the smell :?

As sidewinder said soldering work to, and in my opinion is the best way.

This list would get you a good start in soldering.

Acid Flux
40watt Weller or Unger soldering iron
60/40 Solder
1000+ post of BS.
sidewinder
bitProphet

Post by sidewinder »

You can use a electric soldering iron to solder heavier stuff? Huh? I never would have guessed. I use a pencil torch for small stuff but I use my OXY/MAPP torch for bigger stuff. 60/40 solder is great but I still like brazing (just because its more fun) or even gas welding. If you really want to make sure nothing ever comes apart, Harbor freight tools has a nice 115 volt arc welder on sale for $79, or a small mig on sale for $118.
The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities. - Ayn Rand
nuggetz

Post by nuggetz »

I've been reading about the JB Weld stuff and JB Kwik and I picked some up. I tried gluing a small piece of metal to a piece of plastic and it never holds. Maybe I'm not letting it set long enough but I managed to separate the metal from the plastic twice now. Is there something better for bonding plastic to metal? I was trying to weigh down my ZZ by adding a nice piece of steel to one of the spare rear spoilers I had laying around.
ibjamn
bitDisciple

Post by ibjamn »

You need to take some fine grit sand paper and scuff up that area of the plastic. Get rid of the shine to it, and clean it with alcohol ( Bacardi 151 leaves a residue, though :-D ).
The plastic still has small amounts of residue from the mold releasing agent when they are formed.

I had similar problems with just glueing plastic to plastic, too.
sidewinder
bitProphet

Post by sidewinder »

ibjamn wrote:You need to take some fine grit sand paper and scuff up that area of the plastic. Get rid of the shine to it, and clean it with alcohol ( Bacardi 151 leaves a residue, though :-D ).
And wastes the Bacardi. :o
betty.k
bitPimp

Post by betty.k »

i'd use superglue personally, and scuff the surfaces as ibj suggested.
i used to be cool
nuggetz

Post by nuggetz »

I scuffed the surface of both the metal and the plastic. Maybe I should do the alcohol wipe on it since I didn't try that.
ibjamn
bitDisciple

Post by ibjamn »

sidewinder wrote:
ibjamn wrote:You need to take some fine grit sand paper and scuff up that area of the plastic. Get rid of the shine to it, and clean it with alcohol ( Bacardi 151 leaves a residue, though :-D ).
And wastes the Bacardi. :o
The car just so happened to be in the wrong spot, at the wrong time, when I poured one for the homies that have passed away. :(