So you want to build a Crawler, do you?

Learn how to chop a body properly, how to install alloy rims, and more. If it's about makin' it look good, it belongs here.
Smoke&Mirrors
bitGangsta'

So you want to build a Crawler, do you?

Post by Smoke&Mirrors »

I know, you saw a video on YouTube and have the urge now. I went through it and I'm sure a lot of other people have too. For me, I loved 1:1 crawling so much that I wanted more and on a smaller scale so I could do it in backyard without tearing up the grass so much. :-o

So I started looking around the net and here and bookmarking pages that had killer mods that I planned to do (note: I did not find ALL of these, some sites already had lists which I am linking to). Before long I had a good 10 mods, at least. So, to make it easy on all you crawlin' pimps in the making, and without further adu, here it is:

The End-All, Be-All
ZipZaps Monster Truck (ZZMT) Modification List

Helpful Sites Articulation Gearing Steering Wheels & Tires Winches (and related) Cosmetics Inspirational Crawlers Pimp-tastic Videos
[YouTube]http://youtube.com/watch?v=HRr4GTsgrcY[/YouTube]
[YouTube]http://youtube.com/watch?v=Ix5gIsGUndg[/YouTube]
[YouTube]http://youtube.com/watch?v=ZHrZzHL8J9I[/YouTube]

Other Threads Of Interest This is a work in progress, if you feel I left out something important in any category, please PM me.
Also, I've don't just about every mod on here and will answer any questions you have promptly in this thread.
Last edited by Smoke&Mirrors on Thu Nov 13, 2008 11:17 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Project Willy
ZZMT
-Articulation Mod
-288:1 Gear Ratio
-BB Steering Servo
-Extended Wheelbase
-Widened Axles
-Polaris ATV Tires
-Dean Plugs
-1:35 Scale Willy's Flatfender body
sidewinder
bitProphet

Post by sidewinder »

Great idea, maybe the mods should think about putting this up in the tutorial section as a reference guide. Thanks. :-o
The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities. - Ayn Rand
Smoke&Mirrors
bitGangsta'

Post by Smoke&Mirrors »

Thanks. Yeah, I wasn't too sure where exactly to put this, because some of the info falls into the performance shop and some of it falls into the chop shop. I figured that since this wasn't actually a tutorial, but a referance and general info thread, that it could slide in here okay. I'll leave that decision to the mods in the end.
Project Willy
ZZMT
-Articulation Mod
-BB Steering Servo
-Extended Wheelbase
-Widened Axles
-Polaris ATV Tires
-Dean Plugs
redrustbucket
bitGangsta'

Post by redrustbucket »

That's cool man.
The devil made me do it the first time, the second time I done it on my own...
tlca # 14622
Smoke&Mirrors
bitGangsta'

Post by Smoke&Mirrors »

redrustbucket wrote:That's cool man.
Thanks, you and Supergroup_Crawler were a big source of my inspiration to start building, so I knew that you two had to be in here. That Hydro steering mod was genius. :eek:
Project Willy
ZZMT
-Articulation Mod
-BB Steering Servo
-Extended Wheelbase
-Widened Axles
-Polaris ATV Tires
-Dean Plugs
betty.k
bitPimp

Post by betty.k »

good idea s&m, stuck and moved :-)
i used to be cool
supergroup_crawler
bitThug

Re: So you want to build a Crawler, do you?

Post by supergroup_crawler »

sweet, now people will stop e-mailing me about how to make them :cool: . :-)
supergroup_crawler
bitThug

I should add that I am willing to help anyone out that is willing to do a little research for themselves. I got probably 100 emails wanting me to just tell them how to do it... it's just not easy to explain. Know what I'm saying?
redrustbucket
bitGangsta'

Post by redrustbucket »

I hear that. I still avg. a couple a month off of you tube.

BTW last I checked supergroup, your sig link on rccrawler isn't working.
The devil made me do it the first time, the second time I done it on my own...
tlca # 14622
supergroup_crawler
bitThug

God dang copyright violation. Who the fudge is going to care if I use "Hamburger Train" by Primus. I fixed it with Chopin's (or something) "Magical Pony Ride".

People ask if the Willys is for sale... I tell them, "everything's for sale :wink: ." :lol:
Last edited by supergroup_crawler on Sat Feb 14, 2009 10:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Smoke&Mirrors
bitGangsta'

Post by Smoke&Mirrors »

I love your video supergroup, it is what inspired me in the very first place to buy a ZZMT and start modding. I have the video saved on my computer, and I'm kinda currently shamelessly stealing your design because I love it so. I know - creepy fanatic. :shock:
Project Willy
ZZMT
-Articulation Mod
-BB Steering Servo
-Extended Wheelbase
-Widened Axles
-Polaris ATV Tires
-Dean Plugs
supergroup_crawler
bitThug

Smoke&Mirrors wrote:I love your video supergroup, it is what inspired me in the very first place to buy a ZZMT and start modding. I have the video saved on my computer, and I'm kinda currently shamelessly stealing your design because I love it so. I know - creepy fanatic. :shock:
No shame in copying. I ripped everyone off on this site for ideas, especially Redrustbucket. I saw his video "Waterfall Crawlin' " while searching for info on the MT and had to have one.
sidewinder
bitProphet

Post by sidewinder »

supergroup_crawler wrote:God dang copyright violation. Who the fudge is going to care if I use "Hamburger Train" by Primus.
I do.

but not because of any copyright violation, mostly because it sounds like crap on the laptop's tiny speaker. :-)
The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities. - Ayn Rand
supergroup_crawler
bitThug

sidewinder wrote:
supergroup_crawler wrote:God dang copyright violation. Who the fudge is going to care if I use "Hamburger Train" by Primus.
I do.

but not because of any copyright violation, mostly because it sounds like crap on the laptop's tiny speaker. :-)
:lol: I hear ya.
4x4Redneck17

Post by 4x4Redneck17 »

Well guys im a noob here, but i love all the interest in these zzmt's. But this is my very first reply and its bad news...i tried an articulation mod today and failed. well not completely failed but enough to make me get mad and let it sit for a while. LUCKILY the truck i tried it on was not my good truck, i had an old one i decided to practice with...and basically i caint get the steering back together. Its not broke i just cant figure out how to get it back together! and most of my electrical stuff came undone and the sortering iron is not on hand...I will try again! These thangs are awesome :grin: