The devil is in the details... ZZ-M Scaler

Learn how to chop a body properly, how to install alloy rims, and more. If it's about makin' it look good, it belongs here.
frizzen
bitDisciple

The devil is in the details... ZZ-M Scaler

Post by frizzen »

Ok guys, Scale / Trail trucks have hit the 1/10 crawling world pretty hard. Well, as above, as below... In my warped mind, 1/64 needed to represent too.

So, here's the deal I've been working on a ZZ-M one for a while. I'm looking for suggestions for additional scale accessories.

Mine is based on a Dodge Ram extended cab, converted to flatbed.
Exo-cage / rollbar
Winch (non-functional)
Rolled-down driver window
Trail Rash
Replaced fender

Canoe (2 seater)
Paddles
Mountain Bike
Sleeping bag
Cooler

---Not started yet---
Some interior
Rear window banner
Light kit modified to leave cab empty
Recovery Points
Snatch Strap (undecided if I'll bother)
Your good suggestions.
Jack of all trades, master of none; yet often better than master of one.
-
End genital mutilation, don't circumcise. Restore your fore'
Smoke&Mirrors
bitGangsta'

Post by Smoke&Mirrors »

You're forgetting some of the most important off-roading accessories! You need to make a Hi-Lift Jack and some gas cans. Heaven forbid you run out of gas way out on a trail. Here is a tutorial on how to make Hi-Lift's for Xmods, it might help you out. Also, I don't know if you are up to the challenge, but all 4x4er's should carry a fire extinguisher, just in case. You could throw on a spare tire on the flat bed with some small scale bungy chords. For the snap strap, I'd recommend just cutting up a colored rubber band and using some superglue to make loops with hooks on the end. Hope that helps, most it is from personal experience.
Project Willy
ZZMT
-Articulation Mod
-288:1 Gear Ratio
-BB Steering Servo
-Extended Wheelbase
-Widened Axles
-Polaris ATV Tires
-Dean Plugs
-1:35 Scale Willy's Flatfender body
sidewinder
bitProphet

Post by sidewinder »

I wish you had posted this earlier, I just got rid of some toy soldier stuff and I had tiny military gass cans on the back of a jeep that you could have had... I donated the stuff to goodwill I'll see if they still have it out for sale.
The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities. - Ayn Rand
frizzen
bitDisciple

Post by frizzen »

How did I just KNOW a Hi-lift would be mentioned in the first post? :( I was dreading that because I hadn't come up with any good way to do it. At this scale, I could probably make some concessions to detail without it being too bad looking and hopefully recognizible. Maybe.

The only mention of this project had been that I had thoughts of 2 flatbeds in the 07 Year End contest, neither happened. Meh, this isn't noteworthy, sure it has a bed, but no truck is happy empty.

Converting a boxbed to flatbed isn't my favorite body mod, singlecab is easier.
The Mountain Bike was massively kicking my ass for the longest time, almost didn't stand a chance of getting done.
The Canoe and paddles were pretty quick to build, and while not the easiest they weren't too difficult, though the seats/spreaders sucked.
Cooler was pretty simple, little pain to file to size.
Sleeping bag was a snap, only took 2 tries.
Winch was very easy, but I'd already made one for Desperado.
Winch hook was a snap, as was the winch bumper mount.
Exocage intermittantly kicks my ass for fun.
I had a bullbar made, but I wasn't feeling it.
This post just made me question my sanity! :lol:

Hi-lift...........................Hard, I'll have to do some thinking.
Gas Cans.....................Probably soldier donor or 1/72 scale stuff?
Fire Extinguisher...........Probably 1/72 or hand fabricated
Spare Tire....................No, ZZ tire bigger than bed, I prefer a rollbar.
Bungie Cords...............At this scale, that's thread with the ends painted.
Snatch Strap................ I was thinking scale instead of functional.

Life jackets..................Ugh, you and your safety!
Fishing Poles................I don't really like fisning.

Honest answers, how easily identifiable is the bed detail stuff? Would you have recognized it without me having said what it was?

Keep the ideas coming!
-
CaboWabo
Site Admin

Post by CaboWabo »

I recognized the cooler and bike and thought I saw a fishing reel. Had no idea what the thing that looks like a long straight turd was though. :lol:
Dear Life Cereal, Where do you get off? Part of a balanced breakfast and delicious? Who do you think you are? By now you may have guessed I'm speaking ironically and have nothing but good things to say about what you do. Life cereal do not change a thing.
Smoke&Mirrors
bitGangsta'

Post by Smoke&Mirrors »

Wow, you really shot me down and a half there. I was thinking you could use a smaller scale spare tire like the one I glued on to the back of my project rubi. There is a picture of it in the main bit discussion. If you want one I have an extra I can mail to you. It really shouldn't be that hard to make a small scale high lift jack with just a few special tools. I'll make one today and get some pictures up. As you said, it's all about the details. So if you take a small paperclip and some sewing thread, you could easily make a 'bungy chord'. And a snatch strap that is purely decorative will just look like a regular strap. Might as well try and make one that kinds works. I would at least. But, you've inspired me to go make some mini micro equipment.
Project Willy
ZZMT
-Articulation Mod
-BB Steering Servo
-Extended Wheelbase
-Widened Axles
-Polaris ATV Tires
-Dean Plugs
ibjamn
bitDisciple

Post by ibjamn »

It'll be a perfect size for a scaler as an accessory. :-o
Kinda like a functional clod crawler for a 1/10. You just need a small remote control to set next to it when it is displayed for judging :lol:
frizzen
bitDisciple

Post by frizzen »

The long turd looks better when facing the other way. Looks a little more canoe like and less like I squeezed one out. Atleast it was tapered on both ends...

Spoiler.

S&M, sorry I didn't mean for it to come off shooting you down like that. I've been scratching my head all day trying to come up with ideas for material to use on the jack. I'm really glad for the suggestions, I just know they'll really challenge my skill.

I'm debating brass, paperclips, styrene for the jack.
A single rubber thread out of some old elastic should do for the stretchy strap.
I've made some 1/24 scale bungie cords, but would need way smaller material for these.
Still not really sold on a spare, but just because a ZZ-M is so far out of proportion. Definately a good idea, not sure for this rig though.

Hahahahaha, dude that's funny!!! A 1/64 'scaler' rig in the back of a 1/10 'scaler' rig. Pistol or Stick type Tx?

Two ZZ-M riding in the bed of a 1/10 Axial "betty body"
-
ibjamn
bitDisciple

Post by ibjamn »

That's the ticket..... pistol type. :-o
Smoke&Mirrors
bitGangsta'

Post by Smoke&Mirrors »

No worries man. I know where you're going. So I used some sewing thread and the smaller paper clips to make some 'bungy' chords. They don't stretch really, but I just measured them to fit well. I'm using it to secure my jack and blanket to the bed of my crawler. I'll get some pics up soon. Also, I noticed that with that flat bed you have a lot of room between the chassis and the body. You could probably fit a 5th gear mod and definitely fit a 4th gear mod at the least.
Project Willy
ZZMT
-Articulation Mod
-BB Steering Servo
-Extended Wheelbase
-Widened Axles
-Polaris ATV Tires
-Dean Plugs
frizzen
bitDisciple

Re: The devil is in the details... ZZ-M Scaler

Post by frizzen »

This was in the HiLift thread and never made it in here...
-