How To: Absurdly Small Scale Hi-Lift Jack

Learn how to chop a body properly, how to install alloy rims, and more. If it's about makin' it look good, it belongs here.
Smoke&Mirrors
bitGangsta'

How To: Absurdly Small Scale Hi-Lift Jack

Post by Smoke&Mirrors »

So upon the challenge (kinda) of frizzen that a Hi-Lift Jack would be too hard to make look good on this scale, I spent the day experimenting with different processes and this is what I got.

First and foremost, the intended result: a scale looking Hi-Lift Jack for your ZZMT

So now that you know what we are shooting for, let's get started.
The Parts list and half ass picture.
  • Dremel
    Cut-Off Wheel bit (I used the diamond plated one for cleaner cuts)
    Drill bit number #73 from a drill index set
    A Drill (if your dremel can't grip the drill bit)
    Some red and black paint
    A razor blade
    Some scrap plastic of varying sizes from any ZZ, ZZSE, or ZZMT packaging
    Needle Nose Pliers will make things tremendously easier
    Crazy Glue
    Lastly, a ton of patience and good hand work

Start off by using the dremel and cut-off wheel to cut out a long rectangle of fairly thick plastic (keep in mind that you will drill into this, so the thicker the better).

Now cut out a smaller block-like rectangle and shape it as seen below. An important note is that the middle part should be the same length as the first long rectangle. Use a thin to medium thickness piece of plastic here.

For the base of the jack and easiest step, just cut out a rectangle about the same size as the one you just cut out, and make sure it's pretty thick as well.

Now this is the HARDEST step. I'm not really sure how to describe it. Cut out a very thick piece of plastic that is about 2/3 to 1/2 the size of the first rectangle. Using the needle nose pliers to hold the piece and your dremel with cut-off wheel, cut off the edges of the rectangle and keep grinding it and shaping it until it resembles a handle or cylinder. Don't forget to round the top and keep the bottom flat.

Go to your drill index set and grab number 73 or whatever size you think is best and put it in your drill or dremel.

Take the razor blade mentioned earlier and use the tip of it to 'drill' (by spinning the blade) little starter holes in the first long rectangle. Once that is done you can drill pretty quickly (although haste makes waste, take your time) through the plastic to make your holes.

Using the cut-off wheel again, make a tiny notch in the long rectangle that is the same height of the lifty party we made in step 2. This is for the lifty thing to rest in on the jack. Be careful not to cut the long rectangle so thin that it breaks as I almost did.

We're almost done! Grab your crazy glue and start gluing the lifty thing-a-ma-jig to the long rectangle. Then glue the handle to the end of the lifty thing. Lastly glue the base to the rest of it. You get the idea.

All that is left is to paint it. Just a word for the wise, leave the space between the handle and the jack clear. No one will notice and it's way too hard to get back in there. If you use steady hands and some good technique, most of the paint will naturally flow into the tricky areas. You can use a need when you are done to clear the holes of paint again.

Note: using the razor blade after each step to clean up the plastic you cut off will make your jack look that much better. Also, after you have drilled all the holes in the long rectangle, take bit that is a little bit larger and BY HAND, twist the bit on the holes and it should clear out any excess plastic.

So if you ask me, this is a pretty recognizable Hi-Lift Jack. Frizzen, I have nothing against you and I only did this to help you any one else who wants to build one. Please don't think I'm trying to make you look stupid in any way. Thanks for getting me off my butt to make one of these. I'm glad I did.
Project Willy
ZZMT
-Articulation Mod
-288:1 Gear Ratio
-BB Steering Servo
-Extended Wheelbase
-Widened Axles
-Polaris ATV Tires
-Dean Plugs
-1:35 Scale Willy's Flatfender body
frizzen
bitDisciple

Post by frizzen »

:-o :eek: :grin: :lol: :eek: :eek: :eek: :-o

You sir, are one hell of a builder!

Wow.

Ok, you got me, scared and lazy. You have well and truely proven me wrong. Thanks for the tutorial and giving me a push to build it!
Jack of all trades, master of none; yet often better than master of one.
-
End genital mutilation, don't circumcise. Restore your fore'
SHAUN
bitDisciple

Post by SHAUN »

That looks awesome. This should be stickied.
1000+ post of BS.
sidewinder
bitProphet

Post by sidewinder »

Yeah like they said, very cool :-o Now how about a working version :-)
The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities. - Ayn Rand
Smoke&Mirrors
bitGangsta'

Post by Smoke&Mirrors »

sidewinder wrote:Yeah like they said, very cool :-o Now how about a working version :-)
That's pushing it. Although I've decided to swap the ZZSE servo in my project rubi for a 5th gear mod and use it instead as a winch on that crawler. That way, while it may have less torque and get stuck more easily, it will be pretty easy to get it out. :-o I'll see if I can make a tut for that.
Project Willy
ZZMT
-Articulation Mod
-BB Steering Servo
-Extended Wheelbase
-Widened Axles
-Polaris ATV Tires
-Dean Plugs
frizzen
bitDisciple

Post by frizzen »

Ok I got around to building a jack, I still need to add color and mount the handle, but I've got a Hilift now.

I also realized your hilift is more detailed than a couple I've seen for sale in 1/10 scale.
-
Smoke&Mirrors
bitGangsta'

Post by Smoke&Mirrors »

frizzen wrote:Ok I got around to building a jack, I still need to add color and mount the handle, but I've got a Hilift now.

I also realized your hilift is more detailed than a couple I've seen for sale in 1/10 scale.
Thanks. I've always been one for details. My friends often associate the word 'meticulous' with me when that little game goes around. Sure I'm slow, but I put out the best result. I'm sure you all know how that is. If you're going to do it all, you might as well do it right. Right? Right!. Wanna post up some pictures? I'd love to see your work, or it mounted on your rig. I'll try making an extinguisher this weekend maybe.
Project Willy
ZZMT
-Articulation Mod
-BB Steering Servo
-Extended Wheelbase
-Widened Axles
-Polaris ATV Tires
-Dean Plugs
frizzen
bitDisciple

Post by frizzen »

Your friends call you meticulous? Mine just call me anal...

Didn't really photograph that well, needs paint and handle attached.
-
Smoke&Mirrors
bitGangsta'

Post by Smoke&Mirrors »

frizzen wrote:Your friends call you meticulous? Mine just call me anal...

Didn't really photograph that well, needs paint and handle attached.
Well they do that too, but that usually goes with a different set of insults. Moving on, I really like that cooler. What did you make it out of?
Project Willy
ZZMT
-Articulation Mod
-BB Steering Servo
-Extended Wheelbase
-Widened Axles
-Polaris ATV Tires
-Dean Plugs
frizzen
bitDisciple

Post by frizzen »

Cooler was laminated out of 4 layers of 0.040" styrene, CA layers together, file to size, round corners, good luck getting it all symmetrical. When I added color (sharpie) it was easy to folow the top lamination line which kept the lid evenly thick.
-
Smoke&Mirrors
bitGangsta'

Post by Smoke&Mirrors »

frizzen wrote:Cooler was laminated out of 4 layers of 0.040" styrene, CA layers together, file to size, round corners, good luck getting it all symmetrical. When I added color (sharpie) it was easy to folow the top lamination line which kept the lid evenly thick.
Oh thanks. One More questions: I've been asking around and haven't yet found an answer. Where can I get styrene. Is there a brand name that would help me find it?
Project Willy
ZZMT
-Articulation Mod
-BB Steering Servo
-Extended Wheelbase
-Widened Axles
-Polaris ATV Tires
-Dean Plugs
frizzen
bitDisciple

Post by frizzen »

My styrene was from a local hobby shop. Evergreen brand. Sheets are something like 12x24 in, also have all kinds of tubes and extrusions. If you have a hobby shop that's big into Models or Trains, you're set.

It's also one of the most widely used plastics for product packaging and gift cards.
-
ynad
bitNinja

Post by ynad »

Nice, thanks.
Gotta do that :-)
sidewinder
bitProphet

Post by sidewinder »

frizzen wrote:Your friends call you meticulous? Mine just call me anal...
You mean like anal retentive right? Or is there something you need to get off your chest? We're here for ya buddy :lol: Plus if you decide to, you have a truck that'll get you over any broke back moun... oh never mind.
The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities. - Ayn Rand
frizzen
bitDisciple

Post by frizzen »

Yeah, anal retentive. They don't know about the other...erm, not that there's anything else to know. Nope, nothing else... :P
-