New Battery

Getting bad reception? Got questions about motors, gears, and batteries? Learn how to make it go faster, roll smoother, and more in here.
BlackBerry

New Battery

Post by BlackBerry »

Hi all 8-)

I found this awesome forum and saw that it has a zzmt section. So i searched around for my old zzmt and i tried it.

I think the battery is fried though, when i am charging it, i can run the thing but when i take it out of the charger, the thing doesn't move at all.

So, can anyone here tell me what a good battery to get is? I tried searching for a 2.3v 120 mAh bat but couldn't find anything....

Imma do the crawler mod and i want something that can give a long run time, more mAh i think?,. I think the power is good enough since i don't want the thing to speed..

Any help would be nice, thanks :grin:
ibjamn
bitDisciple

Post by ibjamn »

If you want NIMHs, you basically will be looking for two (or three) 1.2v 1/3AAA cells. Anything more than 120mah will do. Put together, There is some in your local Batteries Plus, at least I remember there was.

Another option is the replacement rechargeables you can buy for cordless phones, and hack them as you please. If you see one pack that is 3.6v that just means it is three 1.2v cells(If you didn't know already) but they will ne higher capacity, and the stock charger may have to be modded, or just do multiple/longer charges for higher capacities.

Edit: Also, if you want to hack a Micro-T battery pack, it is four 1.2v 1/3AAA cells wired in series and are 150mah.
Just a thought.
BlackBerry

Post by BlackBerry »

Ok, i will look at a Battery Plus, i remember seeing one i think...

I'll go with two cell 2.4v, and get a higher mAh than 120. What is that max that i can go that will still be able to use with the controller charger? I'll probably have to buy some rechargeable AAA batts so i don't waste batteries lol.
crazydave
bitPimp

Post by crazydave »

BlackBerry wrote:Ok, i will look at a Battery Plus, i remember seeing one i think...

I'll go with two cell 2.4v, and get a higher mAh than 120. What is that max that i can go that will still be able to use with the controller charger? I'll probably have to buy some rechargeable AAA batts so i don't waste batteries lol.
The stock charger doesn't even fill the 120mah, you need to charge 2-3x to fill the battery completely, so a higher mah will go to waste unless plan to charge it more.
...crazy man, crazy...dig it.
crazydave's Gallery
Ratfink says: "Man, it's the craziest"
BlackBerry

Post by BlackBerry »

Arg, i wonder if i can somehow make my own charger. I did see the charger mod up top.

I have a micro-dt that i modded the charger to be able to plug into a wall. I wonder if i can find a way to charge a ZZMT with it and still be able to charge a micro-dt.

Would it be to dangerous to take a power cord, cut it, and touch the ends to the charging ports. Then test it with a current tester until its full?
sidewinder
bitProphet

Post by sidewinder »

I'm not an electrical wiz, not even close, but sounds like it might be...so do it outside and wear safety glasses. :-o
The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities. - Ayn Rand
betty.k
bitPimp

Re: New Battery

Post by betty.k »

BlackBerry wrote:when i am charging it, i can run the thing but when i take it out of the charger, the thing doesn't move at all.
you know, that statements leads me to believe that the battery may actually be out of curcuit. check that the battery is actually connected before you go blowing cash on a battery you may not need.
i used to be cool
BlackBerry

Post by BlackBerry »

Thanks for the suggestion.

What i did was that i took apart the whole thing before i tested it to see if it even worked lol. The battery is connected, but as of yesterday, i clipped it out.

the dang front wheels were hard to put in...

I think that i may have a stock micro-t battery to work with since i am buying a lipo for my micro t now :D
crazydave
bitPimp

Post by crazydave »

The Losi Charger is designed for 4 cells, so it's putting out a little too much voltage for the ZZMT's 2 cells, but you could cram 3-4 cells in your MT. :lol:
crazydave's Gallery
BlackBerry

Post by BlackBerry »

sweet lol, will a zzmt even be able to handle double the stock battery? I don't wanna fry anything :shock:
BlackBerry

Post by BlackBerry »

Hey, sorry for the double post.

I just finished articulating my ZZMT! 8-)

There is a bit of slop (i think thats what its called) but i don't really mind since i won't be going that fast with it.

I really need to know if a losi micro t battery can be used on the zzmt though.

Thanks
crazydave
bitPimp

Post by crazydave »

BlackBerry wrote:Hey, sorry for the double post.

I just finished articulating my ZZMT! 8-)

There is a bit of slop (i think thats what its called) but i don't really mind since i won't be going that fast with it.

I really need to know if a losi micro t battery can be used on the zzmt though.

Thanks
Yeah the board will handle 4.8v. I've done it. I wouldn't go over 6 or 7 volts though.

4-cells will get you going pretty fast, if you're doing a crawler, you might want to look into some kind of gear reduction to slow it down first.
crazydave's Gallery