Repairing Controllers

Getting bad reception? Got questions about motors, gears, and batteries? Learn how to make it go faster, roll smoother, and more in here.
MotorGong
bitNinja

Repairing Controllers

Post by MotorGong »

Well this is different.
I always came across talk of people having a plethora of controllers as compared to the amount of bits they own.

It's been a while, and I hope to do it again soon, but I used to race all the time. Pretty much daily or every other day, and with other friends/co-workers.
Going through my bit stuff recently, and I'm starting to notice my controllers are sort of breaking down. :(
The charging ability I can live without, I have other options. It's the directional steering and movement pads.
I think they've been used alot and/or been pressed on too hard perhaps.
One doesn't turn left unless ya press really hard, another 'clicks' as ya turn but again much force must be applied to actually make it activate.

So I'm sittin here thinkin, crap, at this rate I'll have a bunch of Bits and NOTHING to control em lol.
Sure, other brand bit controllers will work, however I'm a big turbo/2-speed fan, and those controllers are much more difficult to come by.
I do own a multi-channel Tomy controller, but heck, say I drop it and it breaks. Bits aren't being made anymore, so I'm not exactly waltzing to the store to get another. I'd be screwed.

So I pop open a controller, replace the plastic movement tabs, fiddle around a little, no luck. I figured it must be those switches on the controller board that get pressed when the plastic monement tabs are activated.
Has anyone had a similar problem, and/or has had any luck repairing something like this?
BattleField 2 Stats
"Please not in the fire's neighborhood, heat, that place the spirit swim to play or take care of." ...LxxChar-G Instruction Manual
PimpFloyd
bitGangsta'

Re: Repairing Controllers

Post by PimpFloyd »

Hey MotorGong - love the MST3000 avatar BTW ;-)

I recently received some older controllers and noticed a couple to have finicky buttons. I guess if things got desperate, you could go to RS and buy a couple of normally open push buttons and retro-fit the new buttons to the TX case. You might find simliar buttons on old computer mice too.

Some contact cleaner might be worth a shot before replacement - same thing as the motor cleaner we use to clean our larger RC electric motors with.

PF
MotorGong
bitNinja

Post by MotorGong »

"and then one day you find,
10 years have got behind, you
no one told you when to run,
you missed the starting gun."

Hey Floyd! haha thanks man, love yours too, hence the lyrics lol.

Ya know, I actually got this awfully gawdy zip-up sweater for christmas one year from my grandmother, and I swear to god it was grey with this single red stripe design across it, and when I would wear it and lift my arms, it looked frightingly similar to the "Manos:Hands Of Fate" costume/outfit. lmao

Hmmm, interesting, I'm always stopping by RS for crap so I'll make sure I check that out.
I'm definitely not the most resourceful hobbyguy, so I might as well start now rofl.
BattleField 2 Stats
"Please not in the fire's neighborhood, heat, that place the spirit swim to play or take care of." ...LxxChar-G Instruction Manual
frizzen
bitDisciple

Post by frizzen »

Just put out to your friends that you want some of their old or spare computer mice. It may take tearing open a few to get the right style switches, but most people have a box of spares sitting around.

HEY MODERATORS: Can we UN-sticky some stuff in here? page 2 for the first post is overkill.
Jack of all trades, master of none; yet often better than master of one.
-
End genital mutilation, don't circumcise. Restore your fore'
MotorGong
bitNinja

Post by MotorGong »

Heck, I think I have 1 or 2 older mice sittin' around somewhere here.
Ima find em and crack em open, just to start grasping what these switches are.
The GF has the camera after we split, so no pics atm, i'll snag my pops camera when I see him next.
BattleField 2 Stats