POTS MOD

Getting bad reception? Got questions about motors, gears, and batteries? Learn how to make it go faster, roll smoother, and more in here.
VooDooMafia
bitPimp

POTS MOD

Post by VooDooMafia »

has anyone tried this mod?

Requires:
Mini precision screwdriver
2 Earthlings

1. Mark starting position of POTS screw, located on top of PCB board. If your tuning does not improve reception you can always go back to starting position.
2. Have another person hold controller and stand at cars maximum reception distance away.
3. Insert screwdriver into the POTS and turn left or right in the smallest possible increments.
4. Person with controller should confirm signal by running car motor or steering. After confirmation, person with controller should take a step back and try again.
5. Continue process by adjusting and testing signal until you get maximum reception distance.

Note: Car frequency may already be tuned for best reception, so your adjustments may weekend reception.

I got this mod from rcmod.com but was wondering if it works well.

I am trying to get more range from my LXX's they seem to have no range
I Don't care what you say PIMPIN aint easy, you Broke A$$ Mother F*&Ker
crazydave
bitPimp

Post by crazydave »

I have not tried it, but this is my take on it. They are tuned at the factory, probably by some method more precise than trial and error. So unless your car is getting really crappy range, I wouldn't mess with this. Since LXX seems to have poor quality control, it just may help in your case.

When you do need to do this is when you add a longer antenna(or shorter, but why would you make it shorter if your trying to gain range ;) ), they are tuned to your antenna length.
...crazy man, crazy...dig it.
crazydave's Gallery
Ratfink says: "Man, it's the craziest"
VooDooMafia
bitPimp

Post by VooDooMafia »

Thanks dave I really never licked the wind up ones anyway just gonna switch it out.

Well I am going to RS to see if that is something they carry in stock for if I have to give a blood,semen & Urine sample to get up here.
payaso
bitPimp

Post by payaso »

crazydave wrote:I have not tried it, but this is my take on it. They are tuned at the factory, probably by some method more precise than trial and error. So unless your car is getting really crappy range, I wouldn't mess with this. Since LXX seems to have poor quality control, it just may help in your case.

When you do need to do this is when you add a longer antenna(or shorter, but why would you make it shorter if your trying to gain range ;) ), they are tuned to your antenna length.

I concur... I had a "TOMY" Supra that had terrible range.. Less than 1'

I messed with that "POT" (tuned it in) and now that chassis gets around 30' - 40' Takes 2 peeps to do it.

If your car doesn't have good range, don't do this mod, but if it's between that or returning it, then have at it...

silla :D
payaso...... :)

"Imagination is everything. It's the preview to lifes coming attractions" -Albert Einstein
VooDooMafia
bitPimp

Post by VooDooMafia »

Payaso would it be possible to show a pic of this screw? There was no pic on rcmod website for this mod and I can't seem to locate the screw on the top of the LXX PCB
payaso
bitPimp

Post by payaso »

There is no screw on the PCB. There's a small hole on the PCB, and the screw in in there..

When you flip a PCB over, it's the white plastic thingy with wire around it.

You need to stick the screwdriver down the hole, and make small adjustments at a time..

The screw is ceramic or glass, so a metal screwdriver might bust it.. Try and find a plastic one or something..

No pic right now... :(

"Imagination is everything. It's the preview to lifes coming attractions" -Albert Einstein
VooDooMafia
bitPimp

Post by VooDooMafia »

Shit thats a small hole LOL its gonna be though to find a plastic screwdriver that small but will look

Thanks
payaso
bitPimp

Post by payaso »

You could always try to sand down a toothpick to look like a screwdriver.. Just a thought.

hogjowlz
bitPimp

Post by hogjowlz »

messing with the pot is bad. it will only make it worse. the controller is usually the limiting factor. fortunatly for you thunder charger controllers give way better range than most cars.
VooDooMafia
bitPimp

Post by VooDooMafia »

Thanks Hog :)

yea the LXX have the wrost range that I have seen but I guess you get what you pay for inthat situation. Atleast youget good parts from them(motor, knuckles,tires,body)
hogjowlz
bitPimp

Post by hogjowlz »

well not really. microsizers are hella expensive and they have the worst range of all.

thunder chargers are 5$ and have a good chassis good motor and good electronics. other than the hokey bodies they are the best and the cheapest all in one. tomy gears are better tho.
VooDooMafia
bitPimp

Post by VooDooMafia »

Yea I just meant in the case of the LXX's I have. I got what I paid for

I have some clones(dome racers) that are way better then the LXX's and even the ZZ for speed and range. No tomy's or Microsizers yet so not sure about them
Micro s2000
bitThug

Post by Micro s2000 »

if you want you can change the frequency entirely with this mod my brothers 49mhz microsizer wasnt responding to its controler so i changed it to a 45mhz and used a shen controler from one of his other cars

now it gets 15-20ft range