stabilizers

Getting bad reception? Got questions about motors, gears, and batteries? Learn how to make it go faster, roll smoother, and more in here.
Maxximum Attack
bitDisciple

stabilizers

Post by Maxximum Attack »

Why is the hard TOMY suspension softer than stock?
CaboWabo
Site Admin

Post by CaboWabo »

if that is actually true, it's probably because their made by different manufacturers and with different plastic compounds possibley - who knows.

...and I'm moving this to "Wheels / Tires / Suspension / Steering"
(#2 please try and post in the appropriate forum - I know it can be confusing at times, but please give it your best effort. thanks!)
Dear Life Cereal, Where do you get off? Part of a balanced breakfast and delicious? Who do you think you are? By now you may have guessed I'm speaking ironically and have nothing but good things to say about what you do. Life cereal do not change a thing.
Maxximum Attack
bitDisciple

sorry for the inconvenience.

I was quite angry when i bought the suspension set and it does diddly squat...ya kno?

Drift axle was not what i expected either
CaboWabo
Site Admin

Post by CaboWabo »

flatten out a staple or something and thread it through, across the arm, that should help stiffen it up
Dear Life Cereal, Where do you get off? Part of a balanced breakfast and delicious? Who do you think you are? By now you may have guessed I'm speaking ironically and have nothing but good things to say about what you do. Life cereal do not change a thing.
payaso
bitPimp

Post by payaso »

CaboWabo wrote:flatten out a staple or something and thread it through, across the arm, that should help stiffen it up

Cleatus, is that you? Dood you're so ghetto...lol A staple?

silla :D
payaso...... :)

"Imagination is everything. It's the preview to lifes coming attractions" -Albert Einstein
hogjowlz
bitPimp

Post by hogjowlz »

hahahahaha
CaboWabo
Site Admin

Post by CaboWabo »

:lol: come on man - I live in Redd Foxx's home town! lol
Maxximum Attack
bitDisciple

I was thinking to reshape a piece of credit card that shud be pretty stiff.
lol This is turning out to be a 'ghettofied stabilizer mod' that may be even better than springs :grin:
hogjowlz
bitPimp

Post by hogjowlz »

no stablizer will be better than springs.
DarkTari
bitPimp

Post by DarkTari »

payaso wrote:
CaboWabo wrote:flatten out a staple or something and thread it through, across the arm, that should help stiffen it up

Cleatus, is that you? Dood you're so ghetto...lol A staple?

silla :D
FAS !!!!! You guys are a trip !!!!! LMAO!
SuperFly
bitPimp

Post by SuperFly »

I used to think about stabilizers the way Hog used to think about gears: that they made an insignificant difference and were more or less useless for tuning. I've definitely come around on that though, and find stabilizers quite useful for fine-tuning turning radius.

I race mostly on a hardwood floor, occasionally on a painted wood floor. On the front, I used almost exclusively "hard" Tomy tires (the grey ones) or the black KIT racer tires that come with the "slalom" and "energi" cars. Anything softer and I would get too much grip, oversteer and spin the car. The harder tires gripped less, and allowed you to "plow" the car with understeer, but in a very controlled way.

But now, with mosfets, faster motors and lower gear ratios (KIT racer gears), I can use the stock medium tires with a soft stabilizer and get a very precise car. Rather than achieving control by sliding on the track, I can get it by adjusting the turn radius, and the KIT racer gears take all the torque edge off so it doesn't just do cookies.

Anyway, rather than trying to stiffen the stabilizer, try working with different tire/stabilizer combos. The effect of a super stiff stabilizer would be to tighten the turn radius, and I can't imagine not being able to get there with grippier front tires. I'm almost always fighting this problem in the othe direction.
hogjowlz
bitPimp

Post by hogjowlz »

springs are the way to go. i can actually get up on two wheels in a turn.
BananaGuy

Honestly

Post by BananaGuy »

Guys,

Honestly I really feel the stabilizer is really just a mental gimmick. If you think it works then it'll work.

All it is, is a plastic piece bar that runs across the front. Some even have holes in it.

The theory is true, but the car barely has a ground clearance so the suspension would already take care of that. Plus the stabilizer would be for sharp turns like on real automobiles.

Get it because you think it's cool, don't get it because you think it'll help you drive better.
www.BananaToys.com
R/C Toys with Kid-A-Peel
SuperFly
bitPimp

Post by SuperFly »

Have you ever tried using the different types of stabilizer bars? I agree they are perhaps misnamed, as they don't really function like a stabilizer bar in a normal car, but they do affect performance. I've done a fair amount of testing and truly tuning a specific car to a specific surface and course, and the stabilizers can make a fair amount of difference in turning radius and rate.