Project: Low 'n Speedy

Getting bad reception? Got questions about motors, gears, and batteries? Learn how to make it go faster, roll smoother, and more in here.
Nasphere
bitNinja

Project: Low 'n Speedy

Post by Nasphere »

Last night I decided to look around the forums, looked at Crazy Dave's ride for a while, nice ride, but im determined to beat it... came up with something to make 'sane' 'insane'...

Features:
_Rear ball bearings, possible front ball bearings.*
_Full spring suspention with inverted rear swing arm.*
_4mm ground clearance rear, same proposed for the front.*
_Dual zzse batteries running 4.8V.*
_Modified pcb with proposed 'true' propo logic.*
_Lower profile steering assembly.*
_Soldered hardened steel space frame.*

Here are some pics of my project
http://img84.exs.cx/img84/6492/customch ... all8ku.jpg

My next two parts to build are the rear spring towers, and a redesigned, low profile steering assembly.
After that, its onto the electronics drawing board and wal*mart to get some plastic hot wheels bodies.
CaboWabo
Site Admin

Post by CaboWabo »

holy damn dude. that's not your typical mod.
you saying you soldered all that metal together?
impressive first post - welcome to the hood.
Dear Life Cereal, Where do you get off? Part of a balanced breakfast and delicious? Who do you think you are? By now you may have guessed I'm speaking ironically and have nothing but good things to say about what you do. Life cereal do not change a thing.
Finks
bitPimp

Post by Finks »

Hot Damn, I have been waiting for a chassis builder to come to the site! All hand made chassis I have seen in the past were german made and all I could do is look. Nasphere, when first reading your post I was feeling "yeah right, we have heard this before" but after clicking the link.... man, you have got quite a rig in the making there. Can't wait to see it pan out.
Suck My Bits
:twisted:©2005 Finks fucked your girlfriend in highschool inc
Username
bitThug

Post by Username »

Hmm, can't wait to see this finished.
:grin:
stagg
bitGangsta'

Post by stagg »

Iv made a chassis like one in your post, but for 1 cell. And it was made outta paperclips soldered together.
Nasphere
bitNinja

Post by Nasphere »

:grin: thanks guys, i was gonna do a chassis out of like resistor leads, but i remembered that guitar strings are hardened and you can solder onto em. i did "the drop test" and dam, this thing is tough!!! my brother just gave me his broken strings except for the one i wanted most :(... anyways the spring assembly is almost done, i made the spring itself out of the thinnest string, its a scissor type spring mounted on the very back of the car. i tested it, it holds a "standard" 1/10 scale RC servo motor, while keeping the suspension soft. after mounting the first spring i think i mealted the hinge a bit, so thats gonna be needing replacement... im trying to keep it so disassembly is easy, so i hope i can change the hinge easy.

you can read up on some odd things i was working on at tinyRC.
http://www.tinyrc.com/forums/showthread ... adid=20552
read the bottom, thats where the good stuff is, im still gonna go at that 4wd, most people wouldnt like it too much cause its designed with no suspension, but after i get a bit of experience with this, i bet i can figure something out. i have a huge collection of gears and bearings, so i doubt ide be missing the stuff to do it with... except styrene, i need some of that for the chassis. one thing im missing in there was the idea of differential thrust tied in with a gate board to the steering. it would require my propo controller to be finished though, which is a pain...

heres some fab work ive done a few years ago, pain in the ass when you accidentally drop it, omg i dropped it twice, THREE HOURS AT LEAST to repair that thing, i never did get it perfectly straight. :lol: thats all resistors soldered up. idk what kinda jet it is, i just made it.
http://img5.exs.cx/img5/7417/13030047xt.jpg

STAGG: did you post some pics of your chassis? i need to know how to mount a front clip, i wanna do one out of styrene to keep the magnet away the metal, but any kinda design is cool... just remember the clip has to be just as low as the rest of the chassis er lower cause i wanna put an HO scale tyco slot car body on it. btw thats a good source for a whole chassis.
Whack!
sessiz
bitPimp

Post by sessiz »

Good luck with that, looks promising as all hell. Keep us up to date with the progress and welcome to BP. :-)
MASTER of the Harmless CHAOS!!!1!
Nasphere
bitNinja

Post by Nasphere »

oh man, i knew i was gonna get 'some' attention, but dam!!! this is nuts, i freakin made the thing in an hour, started at 4AM, posted at 5AM, checked back at 1PM and had 4 replies!!! this is almost too overwhelming.

btw when is that bit pimps contest? i wanna enter the finished car...
Whack!
sessiz
bitPimp

Post by sessiz »

You're getting the attention you deserve man. You are actually modding up a car and posting intelligently about it AND putting up pics. This is a rarity in my opinion (all 3 together) so enjoy the kudos man. :-)
MASTER of the Harmless CHAOS!!!1!
sg219
bitPimp

Post by sg219 »

sessiz wrote:You're getting the attention you deserve man. You are actually modding up a car and posting intelligently about it AND putting up pics. This is a rarity in my opinion (all 3 together) so enjoy the kudos man. :-)
Absolutely. Great work. :cool:
betty.k
bitPimp

Post by betty.k »

well that's some straight up brilliant work!! :-) i always wanted to do a custom framework chassis, i just got too lazy!

that thing looks tough too, you're gonna need that when you inevitably send it off some ramps! great to have you around man :cool:
i used to be cool
Nasphere
bitNinja

Post by Nasphere »

:eek: Goodness... :eek: i just finished the rear suspension with dual scissor springs... damn!!! WOW!!! its just too smooth, im gonna hopefully get new pics taken and posted later, sometime round tonite.

I NEED HELP WITH STEERING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
steering was the only thing i was sweating over when i wanted to build this car. i cant build it out of the same stuff i built the frame out of, the magnet would go nuts at the metal! im thinking to i guess use zip zaps packaging material (maybe thats why the cars cost so much) cause thats what everyone likes using. a regular steering clip is just too damn big! so i need some way of making my own. i wanna use stock hubs, the stock front spring susp, and the magnet carrier thing, the housing is what i need to build... :???:

"Calling all pimps"......"Pimp in need of help here"......
Whack!
sg219
bitPimp

Post by sg219 »

Since your chassis is metal and the magnets would have a feild day reacting with it.

I would suggest chopping the front end off of a ZZSE, or some other motorized steering.

Maybe a SuperSlicks steering. :???:
Nasphere
bitNinja

Post by Nasphere »

this is so cool, i have betty.k on the ride! :grin: I learned a lot from betty, but im curious if any of you have seen a suspension like mine where the hinge is in the back instead of the front? Hinge in the front 'hangs' the motor on the back creating extra unsprung weight. I tried to have as little unsprung weight as possible, thats why the hinge is in the back nearest the motor.

@sg219 :-) : NO WAY am i chopping up an SE, thats like 25 bucks!! But a superslicks might be an idea, i need to know where to find em an how much they are. Also the space is limited, so if the motor cant be mounted sideways like the rear motor is, it probably wouldnt work as a clip. Some cutting up would probably be in order.

How does a motorized steering work anyway? does it have a spring to center it? or is it like feedback from a pot? Idk how it works, ive never seen one except on my SE which uses feedback. :-)
Whack!
Finks
bitPimp

Post by Finks »

You can find busted SEs at any Rat Shack for retarded prices, I just picked up one for $2.50 the other day. Super Slicks are just as expensive as SEs if not more. I think with that frame, SG's suggestion is the way to go. Oh, and you know that puppy needs propo!!!!
Suck My Bits
:twisted:©2005 Finks fucked your girlfriend in highschool inc