Is it odd that my 28K motor is faster than my 34K RPM motor?

Getting bad reception? Got questions about motors, gears, and batteries? Learn how to make it go faster, roll smoother, and more in here.
Sporttracguy
bitNinja

Is it odd that my 28K motor is faster than my 34K RPM motor?

Post by Sporttracguy »

Ok, i dont know if its just me or what but i was playing around with my rally evo zipzap trying to squeeze some more speed into her. She has a tri cell with the red 8.25.1 gear setup and ive been using the orange 28,000RPM motor. I tried switching in the purple 34,000RPM motor and it slowed things down alot. I also soldered in a capacitor and my range trippled. anyways, am i going crazy or does the orange motor seem to be qucker?

STG
chrome
bitNinja

Post by chrome »

Maybe it's a gearing issue? The orange motor may be getting to speed faster giving the illusion it's faster? With the red gears (highest ratio) it's going to take alot to get the purple motor up to speed, while the orange motor should be able to handle it. Try changing the gears to green and using the purple motor.

Later,
Chrome...
Intelligence is knowing what you don't know.
Sporttracguy
bitNinja

Post by Sporttracguy »

Ill try the different gears and see how that works,, its all custom so its going to take some soldering just to change the motor out again,,, time to get to work,, thanks

EDIT: Ok, i put the purple motor in and tried green gears, red gears, and blue gears. Overall the blue gears gave me the best acceleration and top speed (go figure) but it didnt seem any faster if any than the orange motor with the red gears.. Still seems odd to me. I would think with the tri cell i wouldnt have any trouble getting the motor up to its full RPM quickly but it just doesnt seem to be hacking it .. Maybe ill just drop a superslick motor in there like i do with all my other bits lol,, always seems to perk them up

STG

STG
crazydave
bitPimp

Post by crazydave »

The motors are rated at single cell voltages. When running tricells the rated RPM is irrellevent. It may be possible that the 3.4 is just not capable of going much faster, or you could have a dud 3.4. Have you tried a different 3.4 motor?

We had a discussion a while back where hogjowls proposed, and I agreed, pink endbell clone motors seemed to be the best for dual cells, followed closely by ZZ 2.2 motors.
...crazy man, crazy...dig it.
crazydave's Gallery
Ratfink says: "Man, it's the craziest"
Sporttracguy
bitNinja

Post by Sporttracguy »

yeah, i tried another purple motor and the result was the same, still not as quick as the orange. I suppose that all makes sense. I think im going to break down and just upgrade to an orange superslick motor,, ive had the best of luck with those,, i put one in my humvee tri cell and in another lancer tri cell and they just fly,,i didnt want to do it just because its a pain and it may be so big that it gets in the way of the rear suspension,, guess we will see,, for now the orange motor is going back in though,, Thanks guy

STG