motor caps?

Getting bad reception? Got questions about motors, gears, and batteries? Learn how to make it go faster, roll smoother, and more in here.
pimpsmurf
bitGangsta'

motor caps?

Post by pimpsmurf »

I've got a OG ZZ w/ TinyRC R-Spec II motor, 150mah 2c lipos, and FETs (If I can find some install instructions. Will some 104 caps improve range?

I also have a ZZMT with 150mah 2c lipo and FETs (and windings removed from and orange motor if I can pull it off). Caps or not?

Later (pics soon to come!)

-JNY
crazydave
bitPimp

Post by crazydave »

There's already a capacitor bridgeing the motor outputs on the PCB.

I don't think these motors are drawing enough juice to really make that much radio noise, but who knows.
...crazy man, crazy...dig it.
crazydave's Gallery
Ratfink says: "Man, it's the craziest"
pimpsmurf
bitGangsta'

Post by pimpsmurf »

Thanks! :-D

-JNY
crazydave
bitPimp

Post by crazydave »

I'm sorry, I was wrong. Forgot you were talking SEs.

Bits and OG ZZs have a small capacitor on the PCB. The SE actually has a larger electrolytic capacitor hooked to the motor terminals next to the battery.

Doesn't change the outcome, I just wanted to clarify, so no one calls me out later. :lol:
...crazy man, crazy...dig it.
crazydave's Gallery
Ratfink says: "Man, it's the craziest"
pimpsmurf
bitGangsta'

Post by pimpsmurf »

Well well! I'm going to cap it and record range on fresh lipos. I'll bet I get a couple feet out of it. I've got my 9v mod ready to go! (and I finally found those OG-ZZ FET instructions. good lord that was hard to hunt. Sticky it for Pete's Sake!!)

I'll post if it does anything at all. I'm not even certain if I know how to put them on properly. Wow. I'm such a newbie.

-JNY
pimpsmurf
bitGangsta'

Post by pimpsmurf »

Definately did not increase range. That was a pain in the ass to get on too.

-JNY
betty.k
bitPimp

Post by betty.k »

how are you wiring them up? y'know, there's a few right ways and a helluva lotta wrong ways to wire these in.

the motor can is what's making all the radio "noise". so to be fully effective you want the caps on the motor itself or at least next to it.

the most common way (in "toys") to cap a motor is to wire it between the motor terminals and run a jumper from one terminal (negative if it's marked) to the can.
in the case of a bit/zz motor the can is a terminal so a cap from the end terminal to the can is fine.

the best way to cap a motor is using 3 caps. one across the terminals, one going from one terminal to the can and one going from the other terminal to the can. this method is the norm for 1:10 motors (540).

another way which is common in 1:28 (130) motors is with 2 caps. run one from each terminal to the can.

i aint no lectrical genius but those are the methods i've seen that work.
if, as dave mentioned, you're using a zzse then there is already an electrolytic cap wired to the motor terminals so you're getting the best range already, adding more caps might be detrimental.
i used to be cool