How many volts can a stock zzse take?

Getting bad reception? Got questions about motors, gears, and batteries? Learn how to make it go faster, roll smoother, and more in here.
Sporttracguy
bitNinja

How many volts can a stock zzse take?

Post by Sporttracguy »

Ok, i know this seems like its probably an over asked question but ive been searching and searching and i cant get a straight answer. Im building a full suspension epoch sized (1:43 scale) stadium truck with zzse electronics and i need to know what my max voltage can be with the se electonics in stock form. I know i can run 4 but what about 5? I dont want to fry anything but the more power the better.

Thanks
STG
LBRC
bitGangsta'

Post by LBRC »

I could be wrong (Edit; and was) but one of the reasons you can’t find a straight answer is because the SE circuit board uses a 3 volt regulator (the largest chip on the bottom of the circuit board). If you could find the spec sheet you could easily find out what the max input voltage is before it blows, some will take up to 10 volts, but the output will always be exactly 3 volts (Edit; fortunately the motor driver transistors use the input from the battery and not the regulator).

Edit: So the circuit board voltage limit will still be the regulator, especially if you replace the transistors with mosfets. My best guess is that 5 volts would be safe, 6 to 7 risky, and 10 as a long shot. The steering transistors would also probably have to be replaced if going over 5 volts. And I still could be wrong. :-)
Last edited by LBRC on Tue Oct 04, 2005 7:02 pm, edited 3 times in total.
evoraptor
bitNinja

Post by evoraptor »

and what if you were to replace that chip? because my zzse is running about 3.6 v on the batt.
Sporttracguy
bitNinja

Post by Sporttracguy »

so are you guys saying that no matter how many cells i put on there it wont change the overall power?
LBRC
bitGangsta'

Post by LBRC »

Edit :-D Remembered I had a circuit board from my IW modded SE and did some metering. The great news is that the regulated voltage does not extend to the motor driver transistors (FETs if you’ve replaced the transistors).

So the regulator will probably take at least 5 maybe as much as 7 volts, and by doing a FET mod the motor driver H-bridge FETs would handle much more. You would also probably want to replace the steering motor drivers with FETs too.
Sporttracguy
bitNinja

Post by Sporttracguy »

Thats good to hear. Im glad the 3 volt limit isnt applied to the motor, i was getting worried there for a minute :eek:

Ive never done any FET work before although i think one of these days i may try my hand at it. For now i think ill just load this baby down with 5 cells (6 volts) and see how she handles.

Thanks guys, always a huge help

STG