Jerky throttle with 4.8 volts on a zzse?

Getting bad reception? Got questions about motors, gears, and batteries? Learn how to make it go faster, roll smoother, and more in here.
Sporttracguy
bitNinja

Jerky throttle with 4.8 volts on a zzse?

Post by Sporttracguy »

Been working on the DB5, I'm running two zzse cells in it with an orange zz motor at the moment. The car is fast but at full throttle its jerky, It's like i get full power then it backs off, then full power ect... Im sure this could be caused by alot of things (electromagnetic problems between the motor and the antenna, the motor cant handle the voltage, the zzse cant handle the voltage, ect...) Has anyone experienced anything like this? Id like to be able to fix this and still keep the 4 cell power. It works fine and isnt jerky if i dont use full throttle but of course, its not as fast as it could be.

Im thinking maybe i will switch to a larger superslick motor but im curious to see if anyone has had this experience before i go through alot of un needed work.

THanks

STG
Cheesehead
bitPlaya'

Post by Cheesehead »

Try replacing your batteries. Also, your TX may be on the fritz.
Lithiums are great!
Triple the speed...
four times the duration....
And they explode if you crash them too hard!
GWS 4 EVR
-my future car's bumper vanity plate
Zenith
bitGangsta'

Post by Zenith »

It might have soemthing to do with the duty cycle the SE does.
Sporttracguy
bitNinja

Post by Sporttracguy »

I tried three different remotes and the problem is still there. Ive since downgraded to 3 cells (3.6 volts) and the problem is gone although my top speed isnt nearly as good. Has anyone else here tried to run 4.8 volts on an se before?

Thanks

STG
evoraptor
bitNinja

Post by evoraptor »

Yea.. I have made a quad cell zzse, but the problem with mine is that it can't hold a full charge. The first few times I got it to fully charge, it would run full, then half, then not nearly as fast as the first full, then it dies out.
Sporttracguy
bitNinja

Post by Sporttracguy »

evoraptor wrote:Yea.. I have made a quad cell zzse, but the problem with mine is that it can't hold a full charge. The first few times I got it to fully charge, it would run full, then half, then not nearly as fast as the first full, then it dies out.
Huh, What kind of charger are you using? Im using a modified epoch wall charger that i use to charge all of my bits 3 cells and more, seems to work great. The charge seems to last just fine, i wonder if the jerking is a problem with the pcb? After i removed one cell and ran just 3 it ran fine (but not as fast as i would like of course)

STG
evoraptor
bitNinja

Post by evoraptor »

Sporttracguy wrote:
evoraptor wrote:Yea.. I have made a quad cell zzse, but the problem with mine is that it can't hold a full charge. The first few times I got it to fully charge, it would run full, then half, then not nearly as fast as the first full, then it dies out.
Huh, What kind of charger are you using? Im using a modified epoch wall charger that i use to charge all of my bits 3 cells and more, seems to work great. The charge seems to last just fine, i wonder if the jerking is a problem with the pcb? After i removed one cell and ran just 3 it ran fine (but not as fast as i would like of course)

STG
I am using a modified ZZse controller, and you could be right, it could be the charger. Otherwise, my car is extremely jittery, so you might be right about the PCB messing with the extra power. You could possibly FET mod it/ DC mod it with the extra cell. I dont happen to have any of the parts right now, and I do not have a Paypal account, so i can't do much at the moment.
Cheesehead
bitPlaya'

Post by Cheesehead »

A FETmod is pretty much the only way to go if you're using that much juice. I'm surprised that you have'nt fried the PCB already. CodeSuidae will perform both a FETmod and a DC mod for 30$. Alternately, you could use an iWaver PCB; this is what I intend to do. That said, a FETmodded + DC modded ZZSE is probbably the fastest option.
Also, you might be having problems with your voltage regulator. I would use a LiPo instead of NiMh cells; you'd get a much flatter discharge curve with less weight.
Lithiums are great!
Triple the speed...
GWS 4 EVR
evoraptor
bitNinja

Post by evoraptor »

Cheesehead wrote:A FETmod is pretty much the only way to go if you're using that much juice. I'm surprised that you have'nt fried the PCB already. CodeSuidae will perform both a FETmod and a DC mod for 30$. Alternately, you could use an iWaver PCB; this is what I intend to do. That said, a FETmodded + DC modded ZZSE is probbably the fastest option.
Also, you might be having problems with your voltage regulator. I would use a LiPo instead of NiMh cells; you'd get a much flatter discharge curve with less weight.
I would but... Those take time and money, both of which I do not have. As for those mods, I've been here long enough, along with STG, so please don't tell us what we should do, because if we had the right materials to do it, we would have done it a long time ago. Soo.. I'm not sure about the voltage regulator, but I know I do need a better charger.
Cheesehead
bitPlaya'

Post by Cheesehead »

You could try an iWaver PCB. That would only be 20$ from RCmart.com. (15$ + 5$ shipping.) You could run four cells through it with no problem whatsoever.
Lithiums are great!
Triple the speed...
GWS 4 EVR