Basic modification

Getting bad reception? Got questions about motors, gears, and batteries? Learn how to make it go faster, roll smoother, and more in here.
glassmen07

Basic modification

Post by glassmen07 »

I just transferred over here from Tiny-rc.com, and here's my first post along with a few questions. Forgive me if some of this is in the wrong forum, I just tried to consolidate all of my questions.
Anyways, I've heard people comment about the top-end RadioShack motors (NOS/nitrous/whatever), saying that they have a relatively low acceleration rate. I own one of these motors, but I have nothing to compare it against to prove this theory. I've also heard that the Bit Char-G 3.8 motor, apart from having 4k extra RPM, has a much better acceleration rate, and of course a bit faster due to the higher RPM's.
With that being said, here is my current setup along with a few questions:

ZZ SE:
- "NOS" 34k RPM motor
- "Turbo" Red gear set
- "Performance" tires (V-tread)
- "Initial D" Toyota Levin body

Would going back to the stock blue gears or the green ones improve acceleration, solving the sluggish-ness of the "NOS" motor?

What parts from other companies will fit a ZZ SE?

Would I need to acquire a new set of gears to make this 3.8 motor perform at it's best?

What other upgrades would you reccomend for a nearly-stock SE?

Any advice or recommendations are appreciated.
peace.

-zach
HACHI-RYOKU
bitPimp

Post by HACHI-RYOKU »

As far as the gears, yes, the lower gear ratio will give you better torque, but reduce speed. Just give it a try.

The ZZSE will always be sluggish. It's heavy and what not. The only real mod for it would be the fet mod. After that, there really isn't many things that will help it. I actually prefer the regular Zip Zaps because of this.

In fact, a 3.8 doesn't perform that well in a ZZSE because it just doesn't have the power/weight ratio to really utilize that motor. I would stick wth the 2.8 for that car and save the faster motors for the faster Zip Zaps.

Pick up any old school Zip Zap and try that 34k motor in that. You'll see the difference. Then take that Zip Zap and dual cell it. It will pleasently surprise you. Then take that car and fet mod it (or get it fet modded). That will shock and awe you.

As far as parts from other companies. Motors. That's about it. Some other clone companies might have a few bodies or something, but I wouldn't know off the top of my head.
Cause I ride around town on my low-rider bicycle.
crazydave
bitPimp

Post by crazydave »

In the first run of Zip Zaps the fastest motor RS offered was the yellow endbelled 2.4 NOS. That one had sluggish acceleration. The current fastest motor RS offers is the purple endbelled 3.4 NX (Nitrous Express) motor. I believe what was the NOS is now called the Turbo motor.

TinyRC was hopping when these were new, but has been stagnent in recent years, alot of info you get there is kinda outdated. I think that's where you got confused.

There's a few post around here about motors, but quickly I'll say, the 3.4 NX is probably my favorite motor for a nice top speed, and good all around torque, especially in the Zip Zap SEs. Its also readily available and a bargain when packaged with 2 other motors, and a gear set for $8. The Perfection 3.8s and 4.2s have a tad more top end, but less torque. The Bit Char-G motors pink endbelled 3.8 is probably the fastest motor I've encountered, but lacks in torque. Seems to prefer a 12:1 gear, or a FET mod, same for the TinyRC R-spec.

Oh and to add to what HR said, all the newer SEs from the '65 Vette on, have an improved circuit, and will pull the 3.4 with the green 9.86:1 gears no problem. Add FETs, and you can get away with the red gear.
...crazy man, crazy...dig it.
crazydave's Gallery
Ratfink says: "Man, it's the craziest"
glassmen07

Post by glassmen07 »

To HACHI-RYOKU - I appreciate the tip-off about the original ZZ chassis being not as heavy. It so happens that I have an old ZZ that I gutted for parts. My question is, which part of the SE chassis made it so heavy?

To crazydave - If you don't mind me asking, what exactly is the 'FET' mod? I'm not quite up to speed with the technical language here... :-o

To both - I appreciate the advice and the friendly welcome, and hopefully I shall enjoy a nice membership here.
peace.

-zach
sg219
bitPimp

Post by sg219 »

Here's a link to all the MOSFET info you can handle.......

http://bitpimps.lixlink.com/pages/phpFo ... m.php?f=21

:reading: :search:
HACHI-RYOKU
bitPimp

Post by HACHI-RYOKU »

If you look at the insides, you'll see the difference right off the bat. I don't know how much you've taken it apart, but the ZZSE has about twice the electronics in it, plus two 1/4aaa nimh batteries. The original ZZ only has one 1/3aaa nimh battery. Plus, the ZZSE has a steering servo, where the ZZ doesn't. All this stuff adds up in the end.

The ZZSE's batts have a higher voltage, but I almost positive they put out a little less current. Voltage = speed / current = torque. This is a very simple break down. It gets more in depth, but this is just a start.

So, current is also important when it comes to top speed. Consider current as ability. If you don't have enough ability to get to a higher speed, then you wont get there. So, while a ZZSE has a higher voltage output from the batteries, the reduced current and heavier chassis reduce it's ability to reach a higher speed. The fet mod would supply more current to the motor, so it would get more "ability"/torque to reach higher speeds. That's why fets and lower gear ratios are good for the ZZSE.

As far as thing to do to reduce weight; not too much to do on the ZZSE. Everything in there is pretty much needed. The only thing I would do to reduce weight is remove plastic. You could take it all apart and drill holes in the chassis, but be ready to solder. You could use sand paper to make the chassis thinner, but be careful about making it too week.
pimpsmurf
bitGangsta'

Post by pimpsmurf »

The SE's can be modded with that other chip too... I forget... It's a signal modifier that basically doubles the signal (and speed) to the motor because the SE electronics blips the throttle really fast (or slower) to give it proportional speed control.

SE steering really sucks though, *shrug*

-JNY
evoraptor
bitNinja

Post by evoraptor »

pimpsmurf wrote:The SE's can be modded with that other chip too... I forget... It's a signal modifier that basically doubles the signal (and speed) to the motor because the SE electronics blips the throttle really fast (or slower) to give it proportional speed control.

SE steering really sucks though, *shrug*

-JNY
Isnt that the DC mod? :???:
HACHI-RYOKU
bitPimp

Post by HACHI-RYOKU »

Oh-yeah! How could I forget Code's DC mod. It's in the wierd science thread. Check it out. It's good to go.
crazydave
bitPimp

Post by crazydave »

Here's a link to my write up on the DC Mod.
http://bitpimps.lixlink.com/pages/phpFo ... php?t=6427

Brief summery:The SE pulses the motor current to get the propo control. Early SEs were only on about 33% of the time. Current generation SE are on about 55% of the time, putting them on track with OG Zip Zaps. The DC mod brings it all the way up to 100%, delivering the full 2.4v from the battery, meaning it does actually go like a dual cell Zip.

All your questions about the FET mod are here:
http://bitpimps.lixlink.com/pages/artic ... 45&catId=7

I think a lot of people neglect the articles section. Cabo has done an excellent job compiling the best of the best info there.

There's a tons of info around here, the key is to do a lot of reading, and not so much question asking, and we'll all get along fine. :-o
...crazy man, crazy...dig it.
crazydave's Gallery
Ratfink says: "Man, it's the craziest"
DarkTari
bitPimp

Post by DarkTari »

Welcome to Da Biggest Micro RC Forum in Da World! :eek:

Told Ya Pimp!

If you come to Da Hood, you'd get the answers you needed.

Welcome Aboard ! :cool:
viperdout
bitGangsta'

Re: Basic modification

Post by viperdout »

glassmen07 wrote:I just transferred over here from Tiny-rc.com, and here's my first post along with a few questions. Forgive me if some of this is in the wrong forum, I just tried to consolidate all of my questions.
Anyways, I've heard people comment about the top-end RadioShack motors (NOS/nitrous/whatever), saying that they have a relatively low acceleration rate. I own one of these motors, but I have nothing to compare it against to prove this theory. I've also heard that the Bit Char-G 3.8 motor, apart from having 4k extra RPM, has a much better acceleration rate, and of course a bit faster due to the higher RPM's.
With that being said, here is my current setup along with a few questions:

ZZ SE:
- "NOS" 34k RPM motor
- "Turbo" Red gear set
- "Performance" tires (V-tread)
- "Initial D" Toyota Levin body

Would going back to the stock blue gears or the green ones improve acceleration, solving the sluggish-ness of the "NOS" motor?

What parts from other companies will fit a ZZ SE?

Would I need to acquire a new set of gears to make this 3.8 motor perform at it's best?

What other upgrades would you reccomend for a nearly-stock SE?

Any advice or recommendations are appreciated.
Wow, if only all new-comers would write up a post this well.

Luckily, ZZ gears are easy to change, so fiddle with it and see what you like best. There are many people around who do mods for these, such as fet and the DC mod mentioned above.
CaboWabo
Site Admin

Post by CaboWabo »

crazydave wrote:I think a lot of people neglect the articles section. Cabo has done an excellent job compiling the best of the best info there.
I'm just the middle man, it's you pro's who write the stuff that deserve the props. :-o
Dear Life Cereal, Where do you get off? Part of a balanced breakfast and delicious? Who do you think you are? By now you may have guessed I'm speaking ironically and have nothing but good things to say about what you do. Life cereal do not change a thing.