Board swap, What are my board choices?

Getting bad reception? Got questions about motors, gears, and batteries? Learn how to make it go faster, roll smoother, and more in here.
Sasquatch
bitHood

Board swap, What are my board choices?

Post by Sasquatch »

I am going to convert my ZZSE into a rally car (eventually, just need some pics from sporttracguy) and I want to change my circuit board to a fully propo setup. I've searched a bit and it turns out that the Iwaver board seems to be the most popular. The Epoch board I've heard is too wide and I haven't heard of any other choices. I've been thinking of using a MicroZ board, but I don't feel like using another toy transmitter, I'd prefer to use my Iwaver II Tx. So does anyone know of any other choices that I could use to make my ZZSE propo?
Then my next problem will be wiring it (won't ask till I get there, I'll only ask about info and what I'll need).

My last question is a recommendation, do I go for the propo setup with whatever board, or do I go with the DCMod w/FETs and stock batteries or with li-poly's (but how would I go about charging that? I searched: li-poly, lipoly, li poly, didn't find anything, even tried going through the pages)
HACHI-RYOKU
bitPimp

Post by HACHI-RYOKU »

Welcome sasquatch. Keep searching on the li-poly chargers. They're out there. You just need to look. Take a trip to the reviews/resources section of this forum.
Cause I ride around town on my low-rider bicycle.
Sasquatch
bitHood

Post by Sasquatch »

Thanks, I was searching in the Bit/Zip forums specifically. Didn't think of searching there.

I found out that the only modification in order to use the Iwaver board is to put a 10k Ohm resistor on the steering pot and it's good to go, but what about the motor? Also, will it improve speed over stock?
I'm kind of stuck between getting the DCMod/FET/Lipoly or going Propo/Lipoly, what do all the pimps in the house recommend? Thing that I am worried about with using the Iwaver PCB is that it's going to be really long and get in the way with my rear suspension, acting as a bumpstop and not letting met get full travel. I'll probably go for the Iwaver board in the end as I can get either a used or comes to worst, I can scrap my 04.
HACHI-RYOKU
bitPimp

Post by HACHI-RYOKU »

Why don't you just make both? It would offer a lot of tech data in the end. Then you could do something else from that.
Cause I ride around town on my low-rider bicycle.
Sasquatch
bitHood

Post by Sasquatch »

I guess I could, right now I'll just do the rally mod, see how it goes and then probably put in the Iwaver board/Lipoly, send my old board for the DCMod/FET/Lipoly and put it into another SE (currently only own 1).

Well, thanks for your help so far. Problem is, I post something, continue searching, learn more, realize new stuff, the post is outdated within 1hour and I have a whole bunch of new questions, or I figured it all out already.
crazydave
bitPimp

Post by crazydave »

I think sat4life and LBRC both have put Iwaver PCBs in SEs.
...crazy man, crazy...dig it.
crazydave's Gallery
Ratfink says: "Man, it's the craziest"
LBRC
bitGangsta'

Post by LBRC »

Yep, I think BettyK does too, and a few others. I still havemine works great with a Camaro body and wide tires. Took it with me to a race and drove it on a very large RCP setup (for 18th scale) caused quite a commotion, fun when you find RC nuts that think 1/18th is small and apparently have never actually seen a ZZ, I felt no great need to tell them that it wasn’t quite how they come out of the box.
Sasquatch
bitHood

Post by Sasquatch »

So it's basically a simple install? I guess I'll go for it with some lipo's soon after.

Last question, I need all of the electronics (except steering) taken out to do my mods, could I just rip everything out (except for the wires on the steering) and would it still be fairly simple to re-wire everything after? I realised that there will be nothing to keep except steering wires, so unless I realised wrong, let me know please.
Last edited by Sasquatch on Mon Jan 09, 2006 9:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sasquatch
bitHood

Post by Sasquatch »

Got some more questions. I've been looking through this battery page and I'm stuck as to what to pick. I've searched through the whole forum about lipos and couldn't find any information other than this site with the batteries. What maH rating or any other rating for that matter should I be looking at (I will be using an Iwaver board with the Purple NX motor)? Also, what about this charger?

Sorry for so many questions, I"ve tried searching before posting for quite a bit, and I haven't stopped looking around between posts. I double posted to add some more information, and different questions.

I think I figured out the Iwaver board install except for exact wire placements. Motor wires I realised will be easy and battery wires should be too, just need to figure out steering.
betty.k
bitPimp

Post by betty.k »

look for cells that are 80mah and above. i've got a zzmt running on an etec 80mah cell and an iwaver pcb.
that charger looks ok but you should get something more versatile, you'll want to charge more things in the future no doubt.
i used to be cool
Sasquatch
bitHood

Post by Sasquatch »

Any recommendations on a good charger and lipo pack? What charging options should I look into, I'm thinking of Lipos and NiHms so far. Are there any differences between hooking up lipos to the board compared to regular Nihms? And is there anything else that I should look into, out or look for?

Thanks for the patience so far. I never realise something until after I post, so I tend to ask a lot of questions, but don't worry, I can help in return with anything to do with Iwavers/Mini-Z's and some 18th scale and majority of 1/28th scale.
sg219
bitPimp

Post by sg219 »

IMO...The Duratrax Intellipeak ICE is the last charger you'll need to buy.

Relitively cheap and it charges NiMh, NiCd, Li-Po, Li-Ion, and that other new type out there. I forget the letters. :???:
Sasquatch
bitHood

Post by Sasquatch »

Yea but that costs quite a big amount of dough, I don't drive my 18th (been broken for a while and "dad" won't drive me to the shop to get a $2 part, and I can't drive just yet) scale enough to use such a fancy charger, I got a nice Energizer 30 minute AA/AAA charger, the Team Losi charger works nice for my 18T, and I just need a lipo/nihm charger.

I might consider it, need to see what the local price is for one.
Edit: Yea, no way I'm going for one, the cheapest I can get one is close to $180, and I just spent a whole load of dough during Christmas, got myself a PSP, an MA-010 + Bodies and a couple of magazines. So I need a cheap reliable good Lipo (preferably Lipo/Nihm) charger.
betty.k
bitPimp

Post by betty.k »

i got one of these

does everything, nicd, nimh, lipo, lion, lead.
i used to be cool
sg219
bitPimp

Post by sg219 »

Cool.

The Swallow chargers are better than the Spit chargers any day. :lol: