Steering wires.

Getting bad reception? Got questions about motors, gears, and batteries? Learn how to make it go faster, roll smoother, and more in here.
trekbikedude
bitThug

Steering wires.

Post by trekbikedude »

Yo pimps whats up? This is my first time posting. I was wondering on how to fix some split steering wires on my zz. How do I solder them / strip them. They got cut in half when I was attemting to dual cell.

Thanks For any Input,

John
Maxximum Attack
bitDisciple

Post by Maxximum Attack »

Somehow I'm imagining a wire that looks like a split hair :???:
Can you be more descriptive? What kind of ZZ is it, is it an SE or normal one?

Is the wire "split" or "cut in half"?
On thinking about it, since you wanted to dual cell it, I'm gunna assume it's a normal ZZ. My last question still applies tho. If you can, post some pictures of the problem, that always helps :-o

Maxx
crazydave
bitPimp

Post by crazydave »

Well I would assume he meant it broke in half. In which case, you just want to heat up the end of the wire with the soldering iron, and slop a liberal dose of solder on the tip, while your doing it. The rosin from the solder should eat away at the coating on the wire and leave the tip silver with solder. If not scraping the tip of the wire with a blade can help get it started. Once you got both ends tinned with bit of solder, just touch the ends together and heat.

Its tricky, but it can be done. The first time I mended steering wires it took me forever, and I started to think it was not possible, now it takes me seconds and is really no big deal.
...crazy man, crazy...dig it.
crazydave's Gallery
Ratfink says: "Man, it's the craziest"
trekbikedude
bitThug

thanks guys

Post by trekbikedude »

thanks guys for the replies. The wire was cut in half.
SuperFly
bitPimp

Post by SuperFly »

A little trick I use is to pretty much follow what crazydave posted, but with a couple additional steps. Rather than using the resin from the solder (cuz I didn't know it would strip the insulation), I take the wire end and sandwich it between my thumb and an xacto blade, and pull the wire through to scrape off the insulation. Then, before I heat and solder up the ends of the broken wires, I bend the ends into tiny, tiny hooks. That way, you can use the two little hooks to hook eachother and make sure you've got a connection. I find it makes it easier to do with just two hands.
crazydave
bitPimp

Post by crazydave »

Good tip with hooking the end of the wire. :-o
...crazy man, crazy...dig it.
crazydave's Gallery
Ratfink says: "Man, it's the craziest"