Favorite Lipo Setup?

Getting bad reception? Got questions about motors, gears, and batteries? Learn how to make it go faster, roll smoother, and more in here.
North_Shore_Racer

Favorite Lipo Setup?

Post by North_Shore_Racer »

I need a good setup for a zz lipo setup that I can use the same cells in both a zzmt and a zzse or regular zz not exact same cell but cell with same specifications. I will probably be using the kokam 170mah 3.7v lipoly cells (unless theres a better cell out there, all i've gathered is thats whats popular). But then can someone inform me about a good charger to buy. I'm a little short on budget but i can work it out. So if someone could help me out with their presonal choice of charger that works with those cells, that would be great.

Links to places that I can buy the cells and a good charger on the same site would be prefered but again i'm flexible.

Thanks

P.S. I did use the search button but was overwhelmed with pages of information that had no regards to chargers for the lipo cells. Just everything about the cells.
Maxximum Attack
bitDisciple

Re: Favorite Lipo Setup?

Post by Maxximum Attack »

North_Shore_Racer wrote:I need a good setup for a zz lipo setup that I can use the same cells in both a zzmt and a zzse or regular zz not exact same cell but cell with same specifications. I will probably be using the kokam 170mah 3.7v lipoly cells (unless theres a better cell out there, all i've gathered is thats whats popular). But then can someone inform me about a good charger to buy. I'm a little short on budget but i can work it out. So if someone could help me out with their presonal choice of charger that works with those cells, that would be great.

Links to places that I can buy the cells and a good charger on the same site would be prefered but again i'm flexible.

Thanks

P.S. I did use the search button but was overwhelmed with pages of information that had no regards to chargers for the lipo cells. Just everything about the cells.
Well there is much talk going around now about using a lipo cell that comes with a new RC micro helicopter. It is bit0like as in it uses the controller to charge the battery. It costs $30 and is VERY easy on the pockets, because, you get a heli with the cell and a controller with a built-in lipo charger. How ever, this charger can only be used for charging these cells. We also have found a site that sells the cells separately so you won't have to mangle your heli.
For the charger, we've all but tested a theory to have it charge the cells using AC power instead of batts, so just wait a little bit untill everything is sorted out and see what becomes of the whole situation :-o

You can look in the misc hobbies section for a "picXXz" thread. ALL the info we know about them is in there it's about 7 pages of discussion (and videos). So get to reading man :-) .

I'm just sorry I didn't get my hands on one of these heli's

Maxx
crazydave
bitPimp

Re: Favorite Lipo Setup?

Post by crazydave »

Maxximum Attack wrote: I'm just sorry I didn't get my hands on one of these heli's
What? Are they gone? They just came out. I'm confused. :-?
...crazy man, crazy...dig it.
crazydave's Gallery
Ratfink says: "Man, it's the craziest"
Maxximum Attack
bitDisciple

Post by Maxximum Attack »

My friend couldn't find any in NY.
The guy at one RS told her that they were no more, she was unsure if that meant "in-store" or "nation wide". I'm assuming nation wide.
No more pimps have gotten any since :???:
Namuna and Superfly(?) are still waiting on delivery...(I may be wrong).
beanoman
bitGangsta'

Post by beanoman »

Hold up. Note that there is a diode on the picooz reciever to prevent reverse charging. If you dont have that in the charging circuit it will overcharge the cell.
Namuna
bitPimp

Post by Namuna »

Yes, I received my PiccoZ. So I doubt there's any shortages (status on Radioshacks site says "ships in 1 o2 days' when I ordered mine a couple of days ago. I'm sure there was some mis-communication at that store in NY.

Now, as far as what LiPo to use in the ZZ, I suggest going by SIZE and not capacity!!! I had gotten a sweet deal on a set of 5, 160maH LiPo cells. The cells are 20x30mm and they're just too big for Bits or ZZ/ZZSE, and I have my doubts about getting a decent fit even in the ZZMT.

But Max is right, someone found a dealer that is selling the batts that are in the PiccoZ helicopters. It's a tiny 50maH Lipo and is a mere 20x13.5mm in dimensions. That's only a little wider than the diameter of the stock battery!

I ordered a few of the 50maH to see how well they'll work with my Bits/ZZs, I'm hoping for good results!
bitPimp

Post by SuperFly »

Maxximum Attack wrote:Namuna and Superfly(?) are still waiting on delivery...(I may be wrong).
Nah man, I got one, flew it for a week and then took it back and exchanged it for another. All the shacks in town have a stack of them. Since I'm gonna be sending you something anyway, if you want to pay for the additional shipping (and the cost of the heli, of course), I'll pick one up for you.
North_Shore_Racer

Post by North_Shore_Racer »

what charger do you guys use?
Namuna
bitPimp

Post by Namuna »

I use a Duratrax ICE charger.

But there are less expensive choices if you're looking for something that's specific to charging Lithiums only, check out the Apaches chargers here:
http://www.b-p-p.com/products.php?cat=8

And if you're looking at getting REALLY tiny lipos (<100maH) then a company called Micro Invent makes a charger especially for the little guys:
http://www.microinvent.com/mambo/index. ... &Itemid=46
bitGangsta'

Post by LBRC »

Namuna wrote:..Now, as far as what LiPo to use in the ZZ, I suggest going by SIZE and not capacity!!! I had gotten a sweet deal on a set of 5, 160maH LiPo cells. The cells are 20x30mm and they're just too big for Bits or ZZ/ZZSE, and I have my doubts about getting a decent fit even in the ZZMT...
Yep, size matters!
For ZZSE’s I use E-Tec 80’s 4 x 15 x 20 mm but it’s a tight fit and takes a bit of trimming. For a charger I use made a custom 80mA charger, can use a Triton if you’re very careful though.
GTO SE with E-Tec 80 LiPo

For ZZMT’s I use Worley 170’s or Kokam 145’s. Problem with these is that if your not gutting the truck for a few other modifications you have to get a little creative when stuffing them in, two parallel E-Tec 80’s for 160 mAh might just make a nice ZZMT pack.
ZZMT link shows size of Worley and Kokam cells.