A Crazy Thought

Getting bad reception? Got questions about motors, gears, and batteries? Learn how to make it go faster, roll smoother, and more in here.
sidewinder
bitProphet

A Crazy Thought

Post by sidewinder »

I was at a slot car club (yeah they still exist, blew my mind) and you wouldn't beleive how fast some of those cars are. I was wondering if anyone knows anything about them. How much power do the engines draw? would it be something that could be adapted to a zap? they have "rare earth magnets" and tiny little brushles motors and lots of other proformance mods. HO scale looks to be about zap size, even though they evidently measure scale differently. :???: I wonder if I still have my crappy old Aurora set?
The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities. - Ayn Rand
Teppudama
bitHood

Post by Teppudama »

I have wondered this myself, but since I don't have any slot car clubs in my area, I had no one to ask.
crazydave
bitPimp

Post by crazydave »

In a RC the motor draws current through the PCB, because the PCB has resistance. In a slot car the motor is basically wired straight to a 12v rail. There is a high current with very little resistance, so the motor doesn't need to draw as much current, the current more so forced fed so to speak. Therefore slot car motors have a lot more winds and are sluggish in RCs, or at least that's the theory as to why Epoch's motors suck.
...crazy man, crazy...dig it.
crazydave's Gallery
Ratfink says: "Man, it's the craziest"
ibjamn
bitDisciple

Post by ibjamn »

HO is also smaller than ZipZaps and bits. ZipZaps are a slight bit bigger than S scale. S scale being more like Hotwheels size.
HO wheels might be a bit more scale on a few zips, but some of us have been using gearing from slot cars.
crazydave
bitPimp

Post by crazydave »

I think most the guys that have used slot car gearing had some kind of FET mod, or at least multiple cells. In my opinion going below the 7:1 range with the stock motor and PCB starts to get a little sluggish, but with the FET mod, they can easily pull KITT Racer gears, which are in the 3-4:1 area, similar to most slot cars.

Slor car things can be adapted to bits and zips. Superfly used some slot wheels on one his cars way back when, and if you figure out how to fit RC stuff under a slot car body, that'd be pretty cool. Anythings possible with a little imagination.
...crazy man, crazy...dig it.
crazydave's Gallery
Ratfink says: "Man, it's the craziest"
SuperFly
bitPimp

Post by SuperFly »

I think the most realistic possibility along these lines would be to graft the front end and pcb/rx of a bit/zip to a Sizzler chassis. Hot Wheels also makes a similar car to a Sizzler that is a little bigger.

The reason I think it would be do-able is that they are already plafoms designed to run on battery power. Sizzler motors seem like they would have huge potential.
sidewinder
bitProphet

Post by sidewinder »

I just checked out sizzlers at target and there abot $8 maybe I'll give a hybird a shot...thanks.
The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities. - Ayn Rand
SHAUN
bitDisciple

Post by SHAUN »

Theres no such thing as a brushless slotcar. :lol:
1000+ post of BS.
sidewinder
bitProphet

Post by sidewinder »

like I said I have no ieda I was just listening to a bunch of enthuiast brag about how fast their cars were...maybe they were having a little fun with the new guy.
Murdoch
bitDisciple

Post by Murdoch »

obviously, because you can't run a brushless motor without an ESC.
BilboBaggins
bitHobbit

Post by BilboBaggins »

Murdoch wrote:obviously, because you can't run a brushless motor without an ESC.
It would require a circuit board to pulse the power to the brushless motor. So technically you could conceivably build one, but know of no slotcar guy who would want the extra weight.

I used to run 24th scale and there cars running a 155 foot "King" track under 2 seconds, the fastest class I ran was running 3.5 sec with a 50 turn arm.

The top fuel funny car drag guys were running the scale quarter mile (55 feet) in under .6 seconds. My fastest drag car was a little over a second and it wasn't the fastest in class.
Sitting at my workbench in my comfortable little Hobbit hole.
SHAUN
bitDisciple

Post by SHAUN »

In my truck I'm running low 12s and high 11s. Ive been winning by consistently hitting 1.245 sec. Your reaction time can make you loose the race. I also have a bit to much in my slot cars my truck is sitting a few dollars under $250 right now. :-D.
1000+ post of BS.