A question from the electronically challenged.

Getting bad reception? Got questions about motors, gears, and batteries? Learn how to make it go faster, roll smoother, and more in here.
sidewinder
bitProphet

A question from the electronically challenged.

Post by sidewinder »

OK, I am working on my micro sprint car build-- http://bitpimps.lixlink.com/pages/phpFo ... highlight=-- and I’ve decided I want to hide the wires. Can I just solder extensions on the existing wires, and then solder them to the board? I thought I’d ask before running to the radio shack and trying to match the wire gauge. Sorry for the dumb question but the extent of my electrical knowledge is soldering and following step by step instructions. I’m planning on trying some of the tutorials soon but for now I’m just working on my physical moding skills. Thanks.
The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities. - Ayn Rand
Murdoch
bitDisciple

Post by Murdoch »

yea I don't see a problem with it, just as long as you make sure the joints are heatshrinked.
SuperFly
bitPimp

Post by SuperFly »

Murdoch wrote:yea I don't see a problem with it, just as long as you make sure the joints are heatshrinked.
Yeah,ya gotta do that or if the connection points touch eachother you'll get a short. I think getting some new wire the right guage and length will actually be easier, but I don't know if you'd find the right kind at RS. Theirs tends to be a little too rigid.
redrustbucket
bitGangsta'

Post by redrustbucket »

I second replacing them entirely. I picked some up from RS but it sucked. I like to use servo wire off of busted 1/10 servos. It's a little bigger guage but way better wire. You could pick up some long extensions if you don't have any laying around.
The devil made me do it the first time, the second time I done it on my own...
tlca # 14622
sidewinder
bitProphet

Post by sidewinder »

Thanks, I guess I'll go to the electronics store down the road. They have just about anything you can imagine, I just hate going there because the clerks enjoy making you feel like shit. I suppose they have to do something for pleasure. I mean its not like they're ever getting laid or anything.

Now that you say it, it does make more sence to just replace the whole wire(s). Plus the added advantage is I can use all black wire making it easier to hide.
The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities. - Ayn Rand
SuperFly
bitPimp

Post by SuperFly »

sidewinder wrote:Plus the added advantage is I can use all black wire making it easier to hide.
Hmm, there's about 6 or 8 wires in there that you have to keep track of which is going where. At the very least, I'd get some red and some black, and Sharpie any exposed red that bugs you. If all your wires are black, I could see how you could make a wrong connection and short out a board.

When you go to the electronics store, bring a piece of internal bit wire with you to show them what you're looking for. The flexibility of the insulation is as important as the guage, as well as solid core vs. stranded.
frizzen
bitDisciple

Post by frizzen »

You can splice and replace them all to your hearts content. Don't change the length of the antenna though.

I've noticed that most wire I've gotten from Radiohack has really crappy insulation that melts off when you try and tin the ends. Atleast the electronics nerds who make you feel like crap could be helpful; at RadioHack if it's not a question about buying a phone, they retreat in fear.
Jack of all trades, master of none; yet often better than master of one.
-
End genital mutilation, don't circumcise. Restore your fore'
sidewinder
bitProphet

Post by sidewinder »

Thanks, I knew that about the antenna but I'm glad you reminded me. Ok, one even dumber question: I don't suppose there is anyway of heating and bending the board without breaking all of hose tiny conections and ruining the board, is there? I only ask because if I could get the board U shaped I have a really cool idea for the next project...either that or if cold find a really small board... I know, it's probably a really dumb question.
Dangerous Dave
bitHood

Post by Dangerous Dave »

if it's the circuit board you're referring to, not a chance.

they are usually fibreglass, which is a thermosetting resin and doesn't soften with heat.

even if it did, most of the electrical tracks on the surface would be ruined.

but it shows you're thinking outside the square :-o
sidewinder
bitProphet

Post by sidewinder »

Yeah it was the circiut board, I thought it looked like fiberglass but I was hopeing I was wrong. Oh well, maybe I figgure something else out...I wonder if any of the Infared boards would be small enough? I guess I'll have to start looking for IR's and see what the dimensions are. :???: Thanks.
crazydave
bitPimp

Post by crazydave »

frizzen wrote: at RadioHack if it's not a question about buying a phone, they retreat in fear.
Get this, I sent my wife in for a 4 AA battery holder. I didn't think I needed to look up a catalog # because I thought it was common knowledge what a battery holder is. The girl behind the counter actually responded with a blank stare. I'm mind boggled by that.
...crazy man, crazy...dig it.
crazydave's Gallery
Ratfink says: "Man, it's the craziest"
SHAUN
bitDisciple

Post by SHAUN »

I asked "do you have a tip for a soldering iron?" The guy behind the counter asked "What is that?"
1000+ post of BS.
Murdoch
bitDisciple

Post by Murdoch »

That's when I usually bail
frizzen
bitDisciple

Post by frizzen »

Anybody know how big the PCB out of a Tomy Q-Steer would be? I know the cars are smaller than Bits, at Charo-q size so I'd think electronics should be also.
Jack of all trades, master of none; yet often better than master of one.
-
End genital mutilation, don't circumcise. Restore your fore'
sidewinder
bitProphet

Post by sidewinder »

Hey, those do look tiny...I've never had one but... :???:

[YouTube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NnpX8RADH-0[/YouTube]