Slotcar Rear in a Bit/Zip??

Getting bad reception? Got questions about motors, gears, and batteries? Learn how to make it go faster, roll smoother, and more in here.
frizzen
bitDisciple

Slotcar Rear in a Bit/Zip??

Post by frizzen »

Maybe I'm crazy, maybe I'm hallucinating, maybe I can't just come up with the right string for the boards' search engine. Either way, I'm stuck.

A while back I thought there were a person or two who hacked the rear end off of a slotcar and into a Zip. I've been searching off and on for a week and can't find anything on it.

If I am just :? then can anybody point me toward a slotcar that has a crown gear somewhere near between 1/4-1/2" diameter with the same pitch teeth as Bit/ZZ gears use?

I've got a new project, and due to its secondary functions I can't see a way to make it work using standard Bit style rear. I'm needing a "slotcar" type rear end (motor at right angle to axle). The rims/tires are larger (0.650" OD) and I'll be running a standard diameter rear axle shaft (0.046"). I plan to have the low RPM motor from the ZZ-M, and it'll be quite a bit longer and heavier.
Jack of all trades, master of none; yet often better than master of one.
-
End genital mutilation, don't circumcise. Restore your fore'
ynad
bitNinja

Post by ynad »

RS got some slot cars that might have suitable part. I don't think it has the same pitch of gears but might be.
http://www.radioshack.com/product/index ... age=family
sidewinder
bitProphet

Post by sidewinder »

Yeah I'vebeen looking too, for a different idea I hope, but it actualy sounds similar...inline drive, longer, wider...crap. Oh well, anyway I think the slotcar rear was on a slamed truck, custom frame, but I can't remember who did it either.

While were talking slotcar axels etc, does anybody know the diameter of a zip axel? I dont have a micrometer.

Maybe this will help you find something you can use...also check out their gearboxes! http://scientificsonline.com/product.as ... 1191624107
The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities. - Ayn Rand
frizzen
bitDisciple

Post by frizzen »

I picked up a Radiohack slotcar Turbo Challege Nascar set 600-1282 during a store closing clearance, and I know those are too big at around 1/43 scale. I'll have to check those out.

Bit/Zip rear axle is 0.046" as stated in first post.

Ok in hopes that they're different, mine is a flatbed rollback towtruck.
-
sidewinder
bitProphet

Post by sidewinder »

VFrizzen wrote:
Bit/Zip rear axle is 0.046" as stated in first post.
OH, Ok, now I feel completely stupid. sorry. :-(

A rollback, very cool, and very different. Think American LeMans series and tube frame (well wire frame) but that's after the eoty contest car.
The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities. - Ayn Rand
frizzen
bitDisciple

Post by frizzen »

Didn't mean to make you feel stupid, in that post I was a little ambigious about what I ment by the 'standard diameter rear axle'. Bit/Zip rear axle shaft is 0.046" or 1.18 mm if you're into metric.

Since I've already got a micrometer out, let's look at some other stuff...
ZZ car motors have a shaft 0.030".
ZZ monster motors have a shaft 0.038".

I found an old Tyco slot car of some sort that has a crown gear with the right pitch and the axle shaft is only a tiny bit oversize for my needs. Unfortunately I can't figure out which chassis it's supposed to be so that I can order parts. I've got a shitload of parts for Ideal TCR slots, but they definately aren't going to work.
-
I've seen 2 flatbed car haulers, I think SWG made both, but neither had a functional rollback. Mine will, though at this stage I'm not thinking of powering it, and I don't really want to build a wheel boom. Fairly mild customized commercial truck, nothing too fancy...

LeMans racer with a space frame will be absolutely wicked!
-
civicsr2cool
bitNinja

Post by civicsr2cool »

i have done a few of these and i believe satforlife and sprottrac have as well.

this was my keep on truckin entry. it made room for interior to go above whole axle.

this is my current awd concept still W.I.P. it has slot rear in front end. (dont have a better pic)

if you need some questions answered on it ask. i have a little bit of my awd project here in n.c. with me, might be able to help.
[]D [] []V[] []D
evoraptor
bitNinja

Post by evoraptor »

I believe it was SAt4life27 that did that slotcar swap...

:edit:

This one, maybe?

http://www.bitpimps.lixlink.com/pages/p ... 271&pos=34

http://bitpimps.lixlink.com/pages/phpFo ... sc&start=0
frizzen
bitDisciple

Post by frizzen »

Ok, so what I'm hearing is that most have used a "Crappy RadioHack slotcar" which could *possibly* be #60-108 ?

Civics, what slotcar was your donor?
-
civicsr2cool
bitNinja

Post by civicsr2cool »

i used a chassis like this one. there are plenty of others on ebay for real cheap if you can find um. i bought a few old ones a while back for maybe15 bucks and got two chassis and bodies.
[]D [] []V[] []D
sidewinder
bitProphet

Post by sidewinder »

Thanks for the numbers Frizzen, should help a lot when looking for gears etc. A rollback that works (even manualy) is way cool. I was thinking of doing the first real air ride on a bit, but I finally got a price in the 3mm air pump I was looking at...$85, and since they're not reversable I'd need two. OH well, back to the drawing board. I could do it with a worm gear but I kind of had my heart set on a real air suspension.

Civics...great work. that's sort of what I had pictured in my mnd for the back half, seeing an example will help a lot.
frizzen
bitDisciple

Post by frizzen »

Ok, I came up with something that works for MY project. It's not as small and clean as the previously mentioned installs, but it works. Looks like it takes a lot more room and probably will NOT fit well into a Bit/Zip chassis...

Ideal TCR (Total Control Racing) service parts "1 DRIVE TRAIN 4666-4 for MK3 Racing Cars" 9P-0588. Take one of the two rim looking crown gears, cut off the side opposite the teeth where the weird clutch thing would live, file smooth. The axle shaft hole is only a couple thousandths oversize for the Bit/Zip size axle so it'll slip over the knurled parts pretty well, and the gap should be tight enough that it won't suck horribly trying to center it with glue.

Please do not steal my idea for a flatbed car hauler until after the 2007 contest.
-
sidewinder
bitProphet

Post by sidewinder »

Frizzen wrote:
Please do not steal my idea for a flatbed car hauler until after the 2007 contest.
Awe come on...please :-)
ibjamn
bitDisciple

Post by ibjamn »

frizzen wrote:Please do not steal my idea for a flatbed car hauler until after the 2007 contest.
Hehee, if you see one from my dad or me, don't worry, we didn't steal the idea. Rather, we haven't finished it yet. I love the low weight of those transports.

I also used a slot car gear in my Heavy Chevy.
I had bought a package that had I think, 6 or so in it. So I couldn't tell ya the sizes or whatever.
I ended up not using the ZZ pinion gear, it wasn't the right pitch and would lock up every once in a while. So I ended up using the pinion gear that came with the crown gear. I did drill out the center of the crown gear to get the axle shaft through it.
SHAUN
bitDisciple

Post by SHAUN »

You guys don't have to spend money on the whole car! You can get the axle and gear for about $3.00 from NCP hobbies. http://www.ncphobbies.com/164slotcar.html
Last edited by SHAUN on Sun Oct 14, 2007 5:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1000+ post of BS.