Steering problem

Getting bad reception? Got questions about motors, gears, and batteries? Learn how to make it go faster, roll smoother, and more in here.
Critters
bitHood

Steering problem

Post by Critters »

im sure everyone who owns a ZipZap has this problem.
When you steer to full lock, one side has a alot tighter turn then the other. i really don't know why. i am thinking it is because these little things don't have a differ.
The side that has the tight turn is the side with out the motor gear. So im gessing the power of the motor is to one side more then the other giving it a tighter turn. Savy?

also...i have 2 ZZSE and one has nice steering but for some reason what every motor i put is it doesn't work right. And the other has good motor but bad steering(it whobbles alot..ALOT) wierd huh? any ideas? :???:
sidewinder
bitProphet

Post by sidewinder »

The jittery steering on the SE was a comon problem. I think if you search the forums under jittery there was a fix...I don't have time to look for it right now but if you do a search you should find it.

The tighter steering one way can be a bunch of things. The first thing I'd look at is the steering arm. Is it turning the wheels the same amount to each side. If not one of your tires could be rubbing. If it does look like they are turning the same amount check and see if the wheels both turn easily...they can pck up hair and carpet fiber. Also, this didn't happen much (I don't think it did anyway) but on occasion the cars would come new with warped wheels... to check spin the wheel and wacth to see that it doesnt wobble back and forth. If you have a bent wheel your in luck. There are all sorts of cool wheels from diecast (Jada makes some cool ones) you can change them easily...check out the tutorials. Check these things first, if its not one of these maybe somebody here an help more.
The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities. - Ayn Rand
Critters
bitHood

Re: Steering problem

Post by Critters »

Critters wrote:
Critters wrote:im sure everyone who owns a ZipZap has this problem.
When you steer to full lock, one side has a alot tighter turn then the other. i really don't know why. i am thinking it is because these little things don't have a differ.
The side that has the tight turn is the side with out the motor gear. So im gessing the power of the motor is to one side more then the other giving it a tighter turn. Savy?

also...i have 2 ZZSE and one has nice steering but for some reason what every motor i put is it doesn't work right. And the other has good motor but bad steering(it whobbles alot..ALOT) wierd huh? any ideas? :???:
ok let me try this again,
"it whobbles alot": i mean the wheel is bent.....

the tighter steering thing appends with *all my ZZ* (7 of them).

but now it is not to big of deal becuase i have a Microz which are nicer but have radio glitches

also all my ZZ don't run anymore......i charge them for full time and play, about 10 sec later it dies then next time is it 9 sec then 7..... anyone know y?
crazydave
bitPimp

Post by crazydave »

First off, we have to be clear, is this 1st generation magnetic steering, or motorized steering of later ZZs. With the magnetic steering, I've found some steering coil are slightly wider than others, or the magnet shifts. In either case you can fix it by moving the magnet over, and shaving teh excess palstic off the other side.

If you're referring to the motorized steering, you can fix that by taking the flat gear out, turn the car on to center the steering, then slip the flat gera back in, as centered as possible.

As for you battery issue, assuming you have fresh batteries in your controller, then the battery in the car must be going bad. These are fair inexpensive to replace. Do a Google search for "1/4 AAA", unless you have a SE, Cars, or Transformer ZZ, then those batteries need to be special ordered from RS.
...crazy man, crazy...dig it.
crazydave's Gallery
Ratfink says: "Man, it's the craziest"