Good Service from Bolink...

All discussions about 1:18 scale and up electric onroad RCs.
PimpFloyd
bitGangsta'

Good Service from Bolink...

Post by PimpFloyd »

Not wanting to waste spectrum or get nominated for "Lord of the Tards" here but I ordered some parts from Bolinks website late last weekend. Their website is no-frills but it's super intuitive and it works without hassle.

Parts were on my kitchen counter when I got home this Friday and they are top-notch OE - I'm thrilled.

Good service is rare these days so I like to talk it up when it happens. I realize Sidewinder and I may be the only Bolink junkies here but for what it's worth, Bolink is good for doing biz with and you can get most of the mechanicals from them currently.

Perhaps if Sidewinder and I keep posting Bolink junk CrazyDave will not be able to overcome the urge to rescue a Digger from eBay (subliminal message) :-D

PF
sidewinder
bitProphet

Re: Good Service from Bolink...

Post by sidewinder »

Dave! get off your ass and rescue a digger...(a not so subliminal message) :-)

Glad to hear they still make good stuff, does the body look like it will fit properly? I really do love both the Nissan and the Toyota GTP, I could even be talked into the hot rod pretty easily.
The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities. - Ayn Rand
crazydave
bitPimp

Post by crazydave »

Alright, I need a new pair of shoes because I have holes worn in my soles, I need a new deck for my skateboard, because mine is warped, and if I ever got a another Bolink car it would be a Legend, because I always wanted one of those, but I'm right there with you guys, I'm totally down for that Digger!

Was that sarcasm? I don't know, I lost myself. :???:
...crazy man, crazy...dig it.
crazydave's Gallery
Ratfink says: "Man, it's the craziest"
sidewinder
bitProphet

Post by sidewinder »

I lost myself a few times in the late 90's...it's ok, stay calm, avoid bright colors or loud music and whatever you do, do not look at wavy lines or repeating patterns.

Hey Dave, you're the expert here, if I wanted to build a period accurate Bolink Gold Edition Eliminator the way it would have been in the 90's when it was new (or at least when I bought if from the hobby shop...I think) do you have any idea of what we would have been using for the esc's? I think I was using a Futaba remote and reciever back then but for the life of me I can't think of the esc.. I remember it was a huge deal when I went from a three step hard wired speed controller to an electronic one, but for the life of me I can't remember who made it. I can see it in my head and I keep thinking MRC...but when I googled esc and MRC??? nothing?
The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities. - Ayn Rand
crazydave
bitPimp

Post by crazydave »

I used a Tekin Rebel back then. You know, since Tekin went under for a while, and they are now back under new ownership, like Bolink I think that would be very appropriate for a Bolink car.

I'm flipping through a June '98 RCCA, and some other period options from Tekin would be the Speed Star, Command 10, or G-12, but I just searched ebay for you, and there are none of those to be found. At any rate, here's their discontinued product archive, good luck. :-)
http://www.teamtekin.com/archive.html" target="_blank

Hey wait, I just found you a Bolink Legend, that comes with a Tekin Rebel on ebay, how perfect is that!

Bolink Legend with Tekin ESC
crazydave's Gallery
ibjamn
bitDisciple

Post by ibjamn »

Hmm......
You guys want old electronics? How old are these?

A 2ch Futaba Magnum Junior- FP-T2PKA,
Futaba 2ch AM 75MHz reciever - MC112B,
2 Futaba servos -FP-S148,
Novak 2ch AM 75MHz reciever - NER-2X (very tiny, 1st wave of micro recievers?),
a Novak Tempfet speed control - T-4
and lastly.... a B & R Motorworks and 2 Trinity Monster Horsepower motors (not sure of the turns)

I don't know the dates when these were used back then, but the Trinitys sticker says "1987 World Champion".
Therefore, maybe sold in the late 80s and early 90s...?

"They are only worth what someone is willing to pay", so, how much ya got? :lol:
Just kidding. I am keeping some of that stuff for my Blackfoot and my Bolink Pan Car.

In fact, I don't remember which was which with the Bolink Eliminators. I still have an Eliminator Sport, which has no shocks, I got the other one a while back, and it has 2 shocks on the rear section. The stuff you see on the web nowadays, people are calling the same chassis design different things. One way or another, someone has either forgotten what car they have, or someone is purposely calling an enferior car something better than it is.

Oh, there you go Dave, see if RCDriver would do an article on the evolution of RC race cars, or at the very least, do a "trip down memory lane" article.
:-o
sidewinder
bitProphet

Post by sidewinder »

Tekin! That's exactly right...as soon as I read that I remembered the name. So you can buy new Tekin stuff? I'm guessing totally redesigned and updated, but the name would be right, especially of it looks the same? I'll have to check them out. Thanks, now maybe I can quit obsessing.

I have had more than a few Trinity motors, they weren't always the fastest, but they were reliable, and easy to maintain. The monster Horsepower ones were the black can 27T ones with World Champion on the can right? I think I still have one of those in the parts bin.

Man now I'm getting really nostalgic, I wonder if I can find any of my old Autoworld catalogs?
PimpFloyd
bitGangsta'

Post by PimpFloyd »

McAllister :-o

The body fits great! I got around to un-boxing it last night in a weary stupor. In it's untrimmed out of the box state, it slides right over all the wheels! The new Jayco rear tires are actually a little wider than the original Bolinks. This actually worked out great because the wider width fits the Nissan body just right. The front may have about a 16th to an 8th inch clearence on each side - close enough...but they don't pertrude at all!

Best of all - the body came with NISSAN DECALS!!!! I wasn't expecting that!? McAllister throws a lollipop in the box too! :-D Those McAllister's are "good people" in my book!

The body seems a little long in the hind end for the sport chassis but I think these old GTP cars were long in the rear to begin with.

My ESC on my Bolink happens to be a Dynamite ProPulse. Probably second rate but it works fine for driveway bashing. RX is a JR unit - probably came with the JR Python TX.

BTW - the Jayco wheels are n i c e! Pink compound all around, seem very sticky. I'm going to take'er for a quick run here momentarliy...before the rain comes :-(

I have to get a more modern front steering linkage for this thing - the slop in the holes at the servo saver is horrible! Can't live with it any more! The servo saver is missing the screw that holds it on the servo :shock: Tempting fate here...

PF
sidewinder
bitProphet

Post by sidewinder »

Sounds pretty cool :-o

Some of the prototypes had some really sweeping back ends, it was for air management, others went for less overhang to keep from being "helped" off of the track. I'd prefer less overhang if I was running at the speeds those GTPs ran, but that's because I'm used to full contact racing...road racing is supposed to be more gentlemanly.
PimpFloyd
bitGangsta'

Post by PimpFloyd »

Yep! Guess we'll have to see how it shakes out...now I just have to get enough nerve up to put the body under the knife and get it painted. Anything will be better than the thrashed OEM stock car body.

The new Jayco wheels and tires work great but I was really pushing it tonight with some wild-azz over corrections - Formula 1 like - got the giggles :-D

PF
crazydave
bitPimp

Post by crazydave »

sidewinder wrote:Tekin! That's exactly right...as soon as I read that I remembered the name. So you can buy new Tekin stuff? I'm guessing totally redesigned and updated, but the name would be right, especially of it looks the same? I'll have to check them out. Thanks, now maybe I can quit obsessing.
They new new Tekin stuff is all like brushless and stuff, has nothing in common with their predecessors, but when Tekin first came back a few years a ago, they brought back some of the original designs for a short time. I saw a bunch of Rebel 2s on ebay. Basically the exact same thing , but with better FETS, and a "2" at the end of the name.

Can't wait to see pics of that body, PF!
crazydave's Gallery
PimpFloyd
bitGangsta'

Post by PimpFloyd »

Can't wait to see pics of that body, PF!
Hopefully it will still look like a Nissan GTP when I get through with it! :-)

Pics to follow, regardless :-o