problem, new esc is causing glitching

All discussions about 1:18 scale and up electric onroad RCs.
betty.k
bitPimp

problem, new esc is causing glitching

Post by betty.k »

i recently got a new esc for my rally (mtronics digi sport max, reverse, brake, no motor limit) and i'm having major glitching issues. the voltage drop when i hit the throttle hard is so big that it kills the power to the rx giving me an effective range of about 10m. if i throttle very gently it works fine.
ph2t tells me putting a bigarse capacitor on the battery terminals will make up for this so i tried out a 1000uf 16v cap (pictured). it helped a tiny bit but not nearly enough.
so what kinda stuff do you guys do in this case? is it common? or have i got a dud esc?
i used to be cool
backdrift
bitGangsta'

Post by backdrift »

sounds like it.. I had this probley with a stock kyosho ESC, they happily gave me a refund. But... Most ESC's use capacitors, so try using some on the motor.
stampede_dude
bitNinja

Post by stampede_dude »

well,all i can tell you is 2 things:

your batteries are too shitty to handle the load

or

you need to buy a reciever pack to always power the reciever.
betty.k
bitPimp

Post by betty.k »

that would work but it would kill me to attach an extra batt pack in an electric car! :lol: i'm using gp stick packs, they should be up to the job. and i'm only running a 19t motor, no serious current pull there either.
i used to be cool
chrome
bitNinja

Post by chrome »

What kind of motor is that hanging out down there betty? Gotta be sure it's got at least 3 capacitors on it. Also, just in case you were running a no-reverse ESC before, did you take of the Schtokky Diode? Another thing to try is to twist your motor leads around one another. This also helps reduce glitching some. When you tested your pack was it fully charged? Some ESC's have problems running on lower voltage packs.

Later,
Chrome...
Intelligence is knowing what you don't know.
betty.k
bitPimp

Post by betty.k »

chrome wrote:What kind of motor is that hanging out down there betty? Gotta be sure it's got at least 3 capacitors on it. Also, just in case you were running a no-reverse ESC before, did you take of the Schtokky Diode? Another thing to try is to twist your motor leads around one another. This also helps reduce glitching some. When you tested your pack was it fully charged? Some ESC's have problems running on lower voltage packs.

Later,
Chrome...
done all that, caps on motor, full packs, etc.

the motor is a kyosho 19t xspeed.
i used to be cool
stampede_dude
bitNinja

Post by stampede_dude »

hmmm....overgeared maybe?gp stick packs are a good brand so thats not the problem. do people run r/c cars around your house on a similar frequency?does your motor need new brushes?im not positive but if your brushes were worn out te comm wouldnt be getting as much contact and would be pulling more current to support the armature to keep it going. this is probably wrong though on the last part.
betty.k
bitPimp

Post by betty.k »

i check the brushes regularly so it's not that. i never had a problem with the other esc, and that's the only part that's changed.

it's been suggested that i've got the cap in the wrong place. instead of wiring it directly to the battery i'm told it should be wired to the power lead going to the rx. so i've attached a cap to a servo plug and i'll plug it into the free batt socket on the rx. this makes sense to me as it's only the reciever suffering in the whole deal. i'll let you know how i get on.
i used to be cool
Mazda787b
bitPlaya'

Post by Mazda787b »

I know you probablly did thie already, but check your antenna for anything wrong with it. Check your Xtals in the Tx and Rx, and check your Tx batteries. Did you remove the skotchkey (sp?) diode, or did your ESC include one for installation. I don't know the part number, but I hear of some racers using a Yokomo Noise Supressor to keep glitching down to a minimum.
There's no replacement for displacment.
backdrift
bitGangsta'

Post by backdrift »

Move the entenna to the front of the car and see if that helps?