sway bars, gimme some tips

All discussions about 1:18 scale and up electric onroad RCs.
betty.k
bitPimp

sway bars, gimme some tips

Post by betty.k »

i'm buying a sway bar set for my rs4 rally and i'm not really experienced with them. i don't really know what stiffness to run. i'm guessing the soft ones are good for offroad and maybe the stiff ones for track racing but should i be mixing them up? like hard front, medium rear?

any advice is good advice :-)
i used to be cool
stampede_dude
bitNinja

Post by stampede_dude »

Hmmm, I dont really think swaybars are needed for backyard bashing, maybe the springiest ones all around, because you really dont have to worry about cornering in the back yard, because youre not doing time trials. At the race track i would just experiment and see whats best. It wont hurt your buggy if the two ratings for the front and rear are different I wouldnt suppose.
Its better to be hated for what you are than to be loved for what you are not
chrome
bitNinja

Post by chrome »

Anti-Roll bar
Anti-roll bars are best used on tracks where traction is consistent.
Adding an anti-roll bar, or stiffening it, reduces traction at that end of the car. So it feels like the opposite end has more grip.
If the track is smooth enough, it also makes the grip level feel a little more consistent.
Anti-roll bars reduce body roll in turns, so they make the car feel more direct, and make it change direction quicker.

Stiffer Front An anti-roll bar at the front of the car reduces low-speed steering. The turning radius will be larger, but smoother and very consistent. It reduces 'hooking' by preventing front end roll.
The car will have more rear traction in turns.

Stiffer Rear Adding an anti-roll bar to the rear of the car gives more steering. the car steers tighter, also at low speeds. On a very smooth track, it can make sliding easier.
I found this on http://users.pandora.be/elvo/ which is probably one of the most helpful setup sites I've seen. Hope this helps a little.

Later,
Chrome...
Intelligence is knowing what you don't know.
betty.k
bitPimp

Post by betty.k »

thanks chrome, for reminding me that i had that site bookmarked and shoulda looked there first!! (doh!) :lol:

to elaborate, the rs4 rally is basically a tourer with long travel shocks and an inner body. so with the addition of touring shocks and slicks this is a competitive touring chassis. and while it's good offroad, it can't take anything big like my rs4 mt so i only use it on a track and maybe out on the street. it slops around a lot during cornering so i wanna level it out and see how it goes before i buy shocks i might not need (but still want! :smile: ).
i used to be cool