Coworker brought in his Xray M18 today...

All discussions about 1:18 scale and up electric onroad RCs.
Clint
bitPimp

Post by Clint »

If you dont already have an aluminum motor mount, you should get one.
the plastic one bends a little under the torque of the motor and can skew
the gear mesh.

a nice one is the atomic motor mount/heatsink.

http://www.rcatomic.com/main/modules/ne ... storyid=38

It'll still allow you to put an additonal heatsink on the can of the orion, and
gives you the option to add a small fan near the motor.

-------------------
Also, if you are into upgrades...It's really not necessary to upgrade the knuckles or cdv's to aluminum. The stockers will last a long time.
I've yet to break anything but a body mount post due to some high speed rollovers.

If you do anything.. xray brand ball diffs(xray brand uses bearings in the ball diffs).

Once you start messing with tire combinations, you will learn to
hate the M18/RS4 style wheels. Drill a hole in the center of the plastic
rim, so you have access to the screw that holds the hub on. rim->hub
removal is best done with a small 3 jaw puller(automotive store or harbor freight tools), or just buy a set of hubs for every set of rims you have.

If you are going to run rubber tires for bashing around on the street,
might i suggest the one peice motek aluminum wheel upgrades(no crappy
wheel hub inserts needed). Once the motek site is back online(begining of
august), i'm ordering a set.
Namuna
bitPimp

Post by Namuna »

Thanks for the further info Clint...I definitely need to make a list of additional goodies I need.

I finally got the last of everything tonight and put it all together. Here's a shot of the chassis and electronics setup:

I had to swap all the connectors out for Deans. I don't have any standard female connectors for the battery to charge with (using my Peak Charger) and there were no connectors on the Motor at all (let alone a standard connector). So I just pulled out the grand ole Solder Station and went to work.

...And while I was swapping the connector on 1 of the battery packs (the set I bought comes with 2, 7.2v@1100maH UnitedRC packs) I shorted it reeeeal good like and did a nice smoke show. :sad: I thought I toasted that battery for sure. Plugged it into my Peak Charger anyway to see and low-and-behold she took a charge! :-D

I can't wait to get this badboy out to the tennis courts and rip it around!

I even modded the hell outta my Xmods too, 6 cell and 2x3 FET Stack on my Evo8 and Hummer (screwed up the reverse on the hummer during the FET upgrade though, so I gotta fix that). They ain't as crazy fast/smooth as the M18, but they certainly DON'T suck now either! :grin:

Post by Namuna »

Finally got my M18 running last night and it was a BLAST! Funny how you might think 1 thing (such I would be happy with the Motor I got) and then all of a sudden you think something else when you've actually gotten some experience (such as I now am NOT happy with the Motor I got and NEED to go Brushless!!!)

Anyway, here's some vid of my M18 in action (the clear body one) and my friend also brought over his 1/18th truck (don't recall what it is). He's running the Mamba 4200 and he could eaasily woop my ass. The only thing keeping him from steadily woopin my ass though was that my car was nice and low while his is a truck.

Here's the vid:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sjc5C3rI8uk
bitPimp

Post by crazydave »

I don't know. I think you had some pretty good speed. If you got on a track with more turns, I think you'd more than happy with the speed you got.

Xmods are probably a lot cooler when you get them on clearance, with $10 coupons and stuff, but having paid full price for my Xmods and upgrades, its like, dammit should've got a mini-t. :lol:
Xmods really are turds. :lol:

I've heard nothing but great stuff about Xray, and you got a lot of top knotch stuff in there. I can't imagine you'd be anything but satisfied. :-o
...crazy man, crazy...dig it.
crazydave's Gallery
Ratfink says: "Man, it's the craziest"
viperdout
bitGangsta'

Re: Coworker brought in his Xray M18 today...

Post by viperdout »

Namuna wrote:After only driving his in a circle for a couple of laps I already know I MUST get one of these things!!!

My Xmods Hummer Evo is a turdly shitbox compared to the M18. Realistically you can't even try to compare them.

This SUCKS! I can't be getting hooked on yet another thing right now!...But I have no damned choice!

I must express my conflicted emotions in Hiaku.

Oh dear M18,
insane speed, adrenaline!
Xmods turdly shit!

Sigh, maybe I can get away with a LiPo and FET upgrade on the Hummer?...Eh, who am I kidding, that M18 was soooooo sweet. :sad: :smile: :( :grin:
No shit. Trust me, I have a Hummer with a G55 body, Nelly, thunderpower 2000 li-po pack (2 cell), Pn Anima, AWD, etc, and it isn't close to how much fun my M18 is (Mamba 8000, 3 cell li-po).

If you want an M18 for a small area (40 feet square or so), I'd build it up with the Motek chassis, Spy ESC, and a simple Orion coreless motor. If you want to run with 1:10s, go for the mamba. Either way, go with a li-po, because having a li-po on brushed or brushless setups makes a huge difference in torque, acceleration, and a little top speed.
Namuna
bitPimp

Post by Namuna »

Today was a BIG day...

- Ordered 7, 3.7v 1100mah LiPo cells (plan to build 2 x 7.4v packs and 1 x 11.1v pack).
- Ordered the Mamba Competition Package (the 6800Kv) w/USB Link
- Bought a Futaba S3102 metal gear Servo from ebay. This is to replace my Hitec HS-81mg. Either it has a stripped horn or stripped gear or something else...Whatever the case the damned thing ain't runnin right and has squirrely steering.

Now I need to find a fatty heatsink for the motor (though I might mod a couple of small Video Card GPU fans onto the Motor instead, I've got a few of those fans), some Xray Servo Savers and some 2.5degree (or even 0degree, or adjustable) linkages.

Sweet merciful CRAP I've spent a TON of money on this damned thing!!!
bitPimp

Post by betty.k »

i'd go with adjustable linkages, you do't have to fiddle with them but if you ever want to the option's there.
i used to be cool
Murdoch
bitDisciple

Post by Murdoch »

Sorry for the necro (is three or so weeks a necro?), but I've picked up an M18 a while back. started the build up on it. So far I have:

Mini Rage 6.8kv
GWS pico receiver
Airtronics MX-3 FM radio.

and on the way is a:
PolyRC 7.4V 2100mAh Lipo

last but not least will be the Hitec HS-81MG servo, which I can pick up at the LHS.
payaso
bitPimp

Post by payaso »

Murdoch wrote:Sorry for the necro (is three or so weeks a necro?), but I've picked up an M18 a while back. started the build up on it. So far I have:

Mini Rage 6.8kv
GWS pico receiver
Airtronics MX-3 FM radio.

and on the way is a:
PolyRC 7.4V 2100mAh Lipo

last but not least will be the Hitec HS-81MG servo, which I can pick up at the LHS.

Nah man, this thread ain't dead. You be ok. Welcome to bitPimps. Now let's see some shots of the car in which you speek.... :-o

silla :D
payaso...... :)

"Imagination is everything. It's the preview to lifes coming attractions" -Albert Einstein
Murdoch
bitDisciple

Post by Murdoch »

Here ya go man..

Linky

slowly coming together.. I figure I should be done by the tenth... if not sooner! :???:
payaso
bitPimp

Post by payaso »

Looks cool... Have you run that Tekin yet? I'm interested in how well it performs.

The speedo looks a bit chunky though.

silla :D
payaso...... :)

"Imagination is everything. It's the preview to lifes coming attractions" -Albert Einstein
Murdoch
bitDisciple

Post by Murdoch »

haven't tried out the tekin yet.. gotta wait for the batteries to get here first.
viperdout
bitGangsta'

Post by viperdout »

Dude, get ball diffs and a CF chassis. The car will handle worlds better. You'll also need CVDs soon too. Stick with Xray on everything except the chassis. I'd say go Motek with the chassis.
Murdoch
bitDisciple

Post by Murdoch »

That's the idea. That's going to happen later on, after I learn how to handle the thing.

Going from an xmod to this is going to be an interesting transition.

I was looking at the penguin chassis because of the vertical 180 motor mount, because I was going to get some li-ions that are rated at 30C.
Murdoch
bitDisciple

Post by Murdoch »

Updated the build thread

(yea yea, i know double replies are frowned on but I figured this was worth it.)