Duratrax ICE, Temp Prod and Lipos?

All discussions about 1:18 scale and up electric onroad RCs.
Namuna
bitPimp

Duratrax ICE, Temp Prod and Lipos?

Post by Namuna »

I've noticed quite a few advocates around for the ICE charger, which is why I went ahead and ordered one. Since the biggest reason I went with the ICE was for its ability to charge Lipos, I've been thinking about picking up the Temperature Probe for it.

But, from the pictures I've seen of the probe...It looks to be configured to just monitor cylindrical cells and not the flat packs of Lipos.

With all the precautionary warnings about how potentially dangerous Lipo charging can be, I'd really like to pick up the temp probe to help monitor the temperatures...But can anyone let me know if indeed the temp probe is only good for cylindrical packs, or will they work fine with flat Lipo packs?

Thanks.

Post by sg219 »

I have the temp thingy. :lol:

I never use it anymore. As long as you have decent batteries and charge them properly, you'll have nothing to worry about.

I charge nimh, nicd, li-ion, and lipo. I've never had a temp concern. Not remotely close to even getting hot.

The only time I use it is, if I'm cycling a pack, or if I'm charging a freshly bought used pack that I don't know the prior history of.

It works fine on any battery.

Its $8. :lol:
betty.k
bitPimp

Post by betty.k »

charging progress is far more accurately detected through the leads than by temperature.

but if you want absolute peice o mind safety wise it can't hurt, it's more of a safety device than a charging monitor.
i used to be cool
Namuna
bitPimp

Post by Namuna »

Yeah, the thing was only $10 shipped so I went ahead and ordered it.

There's ALWAYS precautionary notes with the LiPos that there should be constant supervision of the temperature for safety reasons. So I figure the temp probe with the temp cut-off can take care of that for me.