Kamikaze Kustoms Zero D Build

All discussions about 1:18 scale and up electric offroad RCs.
SHAUN
bitDisciple

Kamikaze Kustoms Zero D Build

Post by SHAUN »

Well, I have had this chassis in hand for a few weeks, but wanted to wait till after Crawlapalooza to start the build.

I will be using the Kamikaze Kustoms Zero D chassis.

First of all I needed to punch some holes in the skid so I could mount the side plates.

The R2D Trans, paired with a Axiom 55 turn lathe motor fits nicely.

I will be attempting to do BTA steering with this build. Here is the mount I made for my Battery and Servo, keep in mind it needs alot of work still.

A Small mock up, I will be using 1/4 inch solid aluminum rod for the links, I'm using the Althread for mock up, because it is easy to cut, and adjust.

I will have more in the morning. I have to say, this chassis is awesome, I have 3 inches of ground clearance and the highest point of the chassis, is just over a 1/16th of an inch above the tires.
1000+ post of BS.
crazydave
bitPimp

Post by crazydave »

So why did you want another chassis? Was it just the ground clearance?
...crazy man, crazy...dig it.
crazydave's Gallery
Ratfink says: "Man, it's the craziest"
SHAUN
bitDisciple

Post by SHAUN »

crazydave wrote:So why did you want another chassis? Was it just the ground clearance?
That, and I'm kinda going to a different set up.

Here is an Update, I got an idea of where I want the links to end up. I also got a little more work done to the tie rod, the final version of the tie rod, will be made from 1/8 inch aluminum.

Still not finished with the tie rod, but getting closer.

What I'm planning on for the links.

R2D, is nice and snug inside the chassis.
1000+ post of BS.
crazydave
bitPimp

Post by crazydave »

Interesting, so you've flipped the steering knuckle to put the tie rod behind the axle. Is that something people are doing now?

Is that 6/32 rod in the linkages?
...crazy man, crazy...dig it.
crazydave's Gallery
Ratfink says: "Man, it's the craziest"
SHAUN
bitDisciple

Post by SHAUN »

Yes, I'm use 6-32 althread for mock up links, once I decide if this is how I want the links I'm going to make links from 1/4 solid aluminum rod.

I believe I may be the first person to do BTA(Behind the Axle) steering on wheely king axles, a few people have done it on AX-10 axles.
1000+ post of BS.
SHAUN
bitDisciple

Post by SHAUN »

I need to pick up some harder springs, but this is what I got after a little work this morning. I found out that I can bump it up to 3 1/2" of ground clearance and still be able to stand it on its side with the r2, motor, and electronics sitting in it. I really need to get a hold of some shorter shocks.

1000+ post of BS.
SHAUN
bitDisciple

Post by SHAUN »

Chassis braces, and transmission installed.

1000+ post of BS.
BilboBaggins
bitHobbit

Post by BilboBaggins »

So is that the chassis from the company that is now your sponsor?

So I'm guessing the Behind the Axle steering doesn't get caught on the rocks as easily as front steer.
Sitting at my workbench in my comfortable little Hobbit hole.
SHAUN
bitDisciple

Re:

Post by SHAUN »

BilboBaggins wrote:So is that the chassis from the company that is now your sponsor?

So I'm guessing the Behind the Axle steering doesn't get caught on the rocks as easily as front steer.
Yes, and yes. I haven't been around here for a while, but I'm back here now.

I got my dig servo mounted, and I got my 1/8th" tie-rod made, it only took me a hundred cut off wheels to get it cut out, and I still have alot of clean up to do.

All I have to do is cut the links, and a drag link. Then I'm either going to polish everything aluminum or have it anodized red, what do you guys think? I can't wait till I finish it and my dad heals and I can go kick some ass at some comps..... Naw I'll loose anyway.

The servo is straight, it just looks weird in the pics, I still have alot of clean up to do on the tie-rod.

I got the front links done.

I got the rear finished as well.

Runs great, super stable, and will crawl over anything. The other OKRCRC guys better watch out for me this season"thumbsup"

Its got a bit more flex, but I might limit it a little bit, I don't want it to have very much.

New angle on the dig. I'm going to redo the link.

Complete with battery and body, and electronics. If it had some hybrid foams it would be even more stable.

How can you beat that? 3" of ground clearance and still stand it on its side, with a shafty! Now go buy your self a ZERO!

I have some stock Losi Rock Claw foams headed my way, I plan to cut them, and stick them on the sides on the stock memory foams, so it will be a Hybrid foam. Also if anyone is wondering I'm making the links from solid 1/8th inch aluminum rod. I cut the rod to length, trill it, and tap it with a 6-32 tap, I use 6-32 althread for studs. Then I drill the Traxxas link ends, to accept the 6-32 althead.

I still have a few things I need;
Axial AX-10 HD ring and pinion(x2)
RCP high clearance aluminum knuckles
RCP aluminum C-hubs
Stage 3 Racing chromoly lockers
HS-225MG(for dig)
5955 Steering servo

I'm also thinking of polishing all of the aluminum.
1000+ post of BS.
sidewinder
bitProphet

Re: Kamikaze Kustoms Zero D Build

Post by sidewinder »

Looking good...but yeah, you gotta polish the aluminum, or anodize it. :-o
The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities. - Ayn Rand
SHAUN
bitDisciple

Post by SHAUN »

Thanks.

I finally got it running, I have taken it out for a shake down run, and it did very good. It handles excellent, I was amazed at what it went through.

When I get paid on Friday, I have to order this list of parts.

Axial Harden Ring and Pinion(X2)
Integy Aluminum Axle C
Integy Aluminum Knuckle
HS-85MG dig servo

I also got the wiring cleaned up
1000+ post of BS.
SHAUN
bitDisciple

Post by SHAUN »

Getting the rig ready for crawlapalooza '09. I have only got to make one comp this year because I have been working so much 60+ hours a week.

I got a new lid, the Proline bug body, I like the paint I did actually, its the first body that I've done that I actually like.

I also just got my Hot Bodies Rovers in today, they are awesome, I haven't got to crawl with them yet and no pics yet, but they feel really nice.

Heres some other changes I've done to it.
Had to swap my front ring and pinion. Reverse+dig+sticky tires really kill these things, and I'm to cheap to buy the Hardened R&P, these are only $6 for a R&P and the out put shaft is 6mm instead of 5mm like on the hardened R&P.

Old

New

Old(left) New(right)

My new foam set up, I'll also be running this in the Rovers too.

Sorry for the bad lighting, but here is a pic of the truck assembled.
1000+ post of BS.
redrustbucket
bitGangsta'

Post by redrustbucket »

Bug body looks sweet!
The devil made me do it the first time, the second time I done it on my own...
tlca # 14622
PimpFloyd
bitGangsta'

Post by PimpFloyd »

Ditto on the nice looking Baja body :-o
SHAUN
bitDisciple

Post by SHAUN »

Thanks guys, I did skid plates too.

Next season my club is also going to run a 2.2 sportsman class. Basically its 2.2 Pro, but no dig. I've already got most of the parts laying around to build another rig, so it looks like there will be another build coming soon.

1000+ post of BS.