A bit of XC anyone?

All discussions about 1:18 scale and up electric offroad RCs.
ibjamn
bitDisciple

A bit of XC anyone?

Post by ibjamn »

Tamiya CC-01(XC) Touareg that I just got in.

I know. Go ahead and say it. I have too many projects already not completed, why another? :lol:

This has been a build I have wanted to do for a long while, ever since I saw some 1/10 scalers crossing creeks and bouncing through the woods on roots via Youtube and Scale4x4RC. I did have a TLT-1 kit to use the axles out of, but sold it since I decided to go with IFS for this build.

I got a pretty good deal on this. I couldn't let this pass up. I got all this stuff and shipped for less than the price + s&h of the Pajero kit ordered through Tower (and they have it backordered). Besides being built already, it has the Traxxas metal yokes and the slider modded driveaxle, ball bearings throughout, Tamiya anodized hardware here and there and the ball bearing steering mod done to it. (it removes the slop in the steering).
The guy also sent an Integy 55t motor, Moped ESC, Grand Cherokee body (1/12 scale I guess) the painted Blackfoot Extreme body and the unpainted Touareg body. None of which, are the lids I'm going to use on this one. 8-)

A shot with the Pajero rims.....

... and these are the wheels that will be on it - clearanced Flywheels from ToysRUs. :-o The tires will not stay, I'm looking into getting some from RC4WD that are taller and softer, not to mention more realistic IMO.
(rollin on dubs, :-D
ibjamn
bitDisciple

Post by ibjamn »

I didn't have it sitting on the floor but another 10 minutes after I tried the rims on it, and started hacking it up. :smile: I didn't even test anything out on it.

This is a Bolink aluminum gear reduction unit that I happened upon at the LHS - yep in the clearanced cardboard box :D It is actually meant for their pan cars.

I used a 17t pinion gear driving the reducer's supplied 31t gear, the output shaft has the XC's 16t pinion gear. As you see in the pic, the mount is adjustable, so I can go a bit bigger with the first pinion.

I had to cut away a little plastic on the chassis to fit it in. The motor sits about 1/2 inch higher now and I need to devize a support for it.

I'll figure out the final drive ratio when I remember how to figure it but that reducer and a 55turn lathe motor should make it slow enough for a drag race with a cigarette burning down to the filter :lol:
Murdoch
bitDisciple

Post by Murdoch »

That's a great looking truck. I can see some aluminum links, a WK axle and some oil filled shocks on that thing.
crazydave
bitPimp

Post by crazydave »

That is a great looking truck. Personally, I'm partial to the Pajero wheels. :???:
...crazy man, crazy...dig it.
crazydave's Gallery
Ratfink says: "Man, it's the craziest"
ibjamn
bitDisciple

Post by ibjamn »

I hear ya. The F150 would look good with some straight axles, and the Pajero wheels do look better on an older style truck instead of the newer looking rims - But the rims will look a lot better on the body I'll be using.

I extended the wheelbase to the outer holes that the Touareg uses, but I still need to stretch it an inch more. In fact, I'll need to widen the track as well. I found a couple of sites that carry affordable axle wideners for 12mm hexes. To be honest. I'm thinking of getting rid of 60% of the original chassis, leaving the inner core and fabbing up a brass chassis.
ibjamn
bitDisciple

Re: A bit of XC anyone?

Post by ibjamn »

Well, I did get the clear Toureg body in the deal, but I didn't care for it. I sent it to crazydave to let him go to town on it. I gave him a few thoughts of what I pictured in my head, and let him loose to do his thing.

I don't want to try to drive it now.....thanks to crazydave's great paint work........ :-o

you knew it would be flamed, :razz: the pics don't give it justice.
sidewinder
bitProphet

Post by sidewinder »

I've never liked VW Touregs' but man that thing is cool. Great job, both of you. :-o
The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities. - Ayn Rand
PimpFloyd
bitGangsta'

Post by PimpFloyd »

I'll second that - great looking truck and stunning paint job!! :eek:

PF
crazydave
bitPimp

Post by crazydave »

ibjamn wrote:you knew it would be flamed, :razz: the pics don't give it justice.
Isn't that what I always say about my pics of my paint jobs? So its not just me! :lol:
I like your pics better, they're not as harsh.

Well I already talked to IBJ about the paint job, but I'll go ahead and tell the rest of you guys. Originally the flames were to be a subtle transparent grey, with maybe a hint of blue, or purple, I was going to decide when I got there. Then when I saw the yellow paint mask against the silver, I was so proud of my flames that I cut, I wanted them to jump out, so I mixed the blue and purple, still not sure I made the right choice, as I think subtle would have been better, but this is certainly a unique effect, and I'm glad I at least tried it.

Definitely looks better on the chassis. I like the accent the wheel nuts add. :-o
crazydave's Gallery
ynad
bitNinja

Post by ynad »

good looking rig!
sidewinder
bitProphet

Post by sidewinder »

I think you made the right choice, if they had been more subtle I think I would have just skimmed over this without really paying attention.
The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities. - Ayn Rand
ibjamn
bitDisciple

Post by ibjamn »

Oh, I see. My rides aren't worth looking at, unless the paint just pops out at you?

Fine. :mad:

No more posting on this site for me then......

:razz:
sidewinder
bitProphet

Post by sidewinder »

Yeah, yeah,... :???: Ok then, I like the wheels. :-)
:mrgreen:
crazydave
bitPimp

Post by crazydave »

sidewinder wrote:I think you made the right choice, if they had been more subtle I think I would have just skimmed over this without really paying attention.
Maybe the first time, but when you came back to see what all the fuss was about, and took the time to actually look, you may have appreciated it more. That's why I like the subtle approach. ;)
crazydave's Gallery