snow fun

All discussions about 1:18 scale and up electric offroad RCs.
Sporttracguy
bitNinja

snow fun

Post by Sporttracguy »

Up here in Washington state we have been getting some cold weather and snow. Its not a common thing (well not more than maybe once or twice a year for a day or two). :???: Anyway, decided to mount the sand paddle tires on the mini DT. Its not too deep yet but its still falling so some snow jumps may be in my futureImage
NOTE: Those front tires work great in the sand and snow but unless you have deep snow or sand they dont works so well. They were designed to dig into the ground (sand or snow) not ride on top of it
enjoy,

STG
Last edited by Sporttracguy on Fri Dec 19, 2008 12:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Sporttracguy
bitNinja

Post by Sporttracguy »

the snow has been slowly getting deeper and while the MDT charges I figured I should try a few of my other rides out in the powder. My RC18r worked pretty damn good and I must say, if it weren't for the under body skid plate, rally tires and most importantly the under body shell I don't think things would have worked out as well.
As you can see the buggy body shell seals in the electronics pretty good (aside from the outlet for the fan/heat sink and the steering linkage)

I had a hard time trying to take pictures and drive but you get the idea:

The aftermath of the snow fun looks like a disaster with snow packed into every inch but after removing the cover all of the electronics are bone dry :eek:

For those of you that haven't seen the build on this car here ya go:
http://bitpimps.lixlink.com/pages/phpFo ... php?t=9836

STG
Sporttracguy
bitNinja

Post by Sporttracguy »

ok, one more for the night:

STG
Murdoch
bitDisciple

Post by Murdoch »

Nice. i'm already snowproofing my mini-t for a run tomorrow or the weekend... whichever.
frizzen
bitDisciple

Post by frizzen »

That looks fun!

I wonder if I can find my Rustler SnowJumps video I made last year. Lame specs but with a fully waterproof ESC. It worked pretty well, but needs diff tightened.
Jack of all trades, master of none; yet often better than master of one.
-
End genital mutilation, don't circumcise. Restore your fore'
sidewinder
bitProphet

Post by sidewinder »

Looks like fun, all we have here so far is freezing rain and lots of mud...which would be fun but its to wet and cold to enjoy. I wonder if those RC snowmobiles are any good or just basically for grass? Anyway, cool pics.
The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities. - Ayn Rand
crazydave
bitPimp

Post by crazydave »

So how do like the MDT? Would you say it is a significant improvement over the Mini-T?

I think I may convert my Speed-T into the Desert Truck. :???:
...crazy man, crazy...dig it.
crazydave's Gallery
Ratfink says: "Man, it's the craziest"
Sporttracguy
bitNinja

Post by Sporttracguy »

Ive had a full alloy/carbon fiber mini t with brushless and countless other hop ups on it for years. I purchased the MDT with the intent of having both a mini t and a MDT but after driving the MDT I completely parted out my mini t and used what parts i could to hop up the MDT. I now have a brand new "stock" (well stock +a carbon fiber chassis, alloy shock towers and alloy rims) mini t sitting on my shelf waiting for ebay to call it to a new owner. :-)

Just having a longer chassis makes the MDT much more manageable. I don't pull wheelies nearly as much, its more stable in the turns, I can power through corners and not spin out, it jumps better and of course it looks tons better. The mini t was fun but it always felt like a toy, it was almost as wide as it was long and never really felt right. The MDT feels like a hobby grade rc car. The off road tires dont hurt either.

On a side note, Ive always been a 4wd guy and after purchasing the MDT I noticed that the MDT body is a perfect fit for the rc18t :???: So if you are looking for a desert truck in 4wd just get an 18t and change the body and tires (and get a gear cover) and youre set.

I know youve got an 18t laying around dave...now its just a question of do you want it to be a rally car or a desert truck :shock:

STG
Sporttracguy
bitNinja

Post by Sporttracguy »

Show'n some love for the pimps in my Tamiya f-150.

I love this truck (its the only 1:10 rc vehicle i have) The only downside to this truck is that it's tricky to find parts.

Enjoy,
STG
Murdoch
bitDisciple

Post by Murdoch »

dammit dammit (and every other swear word in existence), both my mini-t lipo packs are shot! :mad:

Both packs had a cell go south while in storage after I discharged them to the right voltage.
crazydave
bitPimp

Post by crazydave »

Murdoch wrote:dammit dammit (and every other swear word in existence), both my mini-t lipo packs are shot! :mad:

Both packs had a cell go south while in storage after I discharged them to the right voltage.
That's why I'm not liking Lipos. They are completely foreign to me, and its hard enough trying to figure out the correct way to do things, when you get a million different answers on the forums, but the manufactures all seem to have their own way about things too.

I read they should be stored with a charge, but no specific voltage was mentioned, so I started charging my lipos after I run them, storing them with a full charge, and topping them off right before I drive it again. Is this bad?

I'd really hate to kill the battery I got with the Speed-T, that's $100, and I'd never be able to afford to replace it. :(
...crazy man, crazy...dig it.
crazydave's Gallery
Ratfink says: "Man, it's the craziest"
Murdoch
bitDisciple

Post by Murdoch »

not really.. if you're not going to use the mini-t for more than two weeks, discharge it to 3.7v/cell.
sidewinder
bitProphet

Post by sidewinder »

I just noticed your sig Murdoch...that's kind of disturbing. I completely get it...I tend to feel that way quite a bit...it leads to doing stupid things for their entertainment value; so, if you're going to something really stupid and reckless, remember, video tape it. Youtube now has adds that pay if you get enough hits... as long as you're going to have scars you might as well make money.
The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities. - Ayn Rand
Murdoch
bitDisciple

Post by Murdoch »

Story behind the sig:

I was out on the road and came across an accident. Two guys in a truck missed the corner and plowed right into the bush. The truck was fucked up bingtime and the passenger had a laceration on the lower arm. Simply put, I pulled over, found out what was going on and dove in headfirst. Cleared a wide path for people to get in and out and only when I finished did someone mention that there were hydro lines overhead.
sidewinder
bitProphet

Post by sidewinder »

Cool, It's good that you helped...most people wont anymore.:-o And, being on the edge of disaster is a huge rush.