Anyone have a Traxxas Bandit?

All discussions about 1:18 scale and up electric offroad RCs.
sidewinder
bitProphet

Anyone have a Traxxas Bandit?

Post by sidewinder »

I was just looking at the A-main hobbies website, it looks like they have some good deals. Does anybody know anything about the Traxxas Bandit Extreme Buggy? I'm not the biggest Traxxas fan but it looks like a decent deal ($144+ shipping), it comes rtr with an XL5 waterproof esc and a 12T Titan motor (yeah, I know it's not the strongest around but for a buggy it should be ok)... for the price, unless the rest of the buggy is junk, it sounds like a good deal. Traxxas Bandit Extreme Buggy
The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities. - Ayn Rand
payaso
bitPimp

Re: Anyone have a Traxxas Bandit?

Post by payaso »

That's a quick little buggy. I had one of the older msc ones and it was quick with a 20t stinger. But, yeah, that's a good deal for a rtr buggy.

silla :D
payaso...... :)

"Imagination is everything. It's the preview to lifes coming attractions" -Albert Einstein
crazydave
bitPimp

Post by crazydave »

I'm curious why you're not a Traxxas fan? If I knew why don't like Traxxas, then I could tell you if you'd like the Bandit. ;)

I'll tell you my experience with Traxxas. Back in the day, Kyosho and Tamiya were still pimpin' out 10 year old designs, and Traxxas had a fresh new innovative perspective, but lots of little glitches that needed to be worked out. Now I've recently reviewed the Nitro Sport, and it would seem that they have worked out the little glitches, but now they are pimpin' 10-13 year old designs. :???:
...crazy man, crazy...dig it.
crazydave's Gallery
Ratfink says: "Man, it's the craziest"
sidewinder
bitProphet

Post by sidewinder »

It may be an unfair opinion, the newer ones haven't looked so bad. I had a Bandit, it was tough enough, but the suspension was just bad, and at the time at least, there wasn't much you could do to fix it. It would go tumbling on a section of the track where my Grasshopper with he stock springs and shocks sailed right through. It was way to easy to roll.

Then we had a group that met indoors every Wednesday during the winter months, it was a fairgrounds building with a concrete floor and the shape of the area meant there were a bunch of tight low speed turns. I thought I'd get one of the more "modern" cars, so I got a Fiero GTP...ok, I got it because it looked cool. Anyway, it was fast on the open sections but every time it had to make a tight turn it would push so badly you almost had to stop. If you played with the suspension you could get it to oversteer a little but then it was too tail happy. I normally don' mind overpowered poor handling things, but this thing was just bad if you needed precision. It was so bad I thought I just sucked until I borrowed a friends RC12, the difference was amazing. I swore that as soon as I could afford one I'd have an RC12...I never did get one...maybe I should one of these days.

I did have a Rustler that I got as part of a parts lot, I put it together and ran it a few times but then put it on ebay and sold it so I don't really know if I liked it or not. It was pretty good in the yard.
The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities. - Ayn Rand
ibjamn
bitDisciple

Post by ibjamn »

If you didn't like the Bandit, you probably won't like the 2405. The bandit is still very similar to the rustler in design.

The things that draw to me....
It will be quick - 12t Titan motor,
It's water resistant - they say "proof", but is anything "water proof"?
It uses the newer composite plastic that apparently is better than the old black stuff
High torque servo
Better slipper clutch
some parts could be upgraded still using TRX stuff, just by getting what fits the VXL Bandit

What I don't like....just the main things :wink:
Too low - I wouldn't be able to bash it like I like to do - but that's me
Bearings are crappy and too small 5mm x 8mm....? :-x
no turnbuckles

Not trying to discourage you.... but that's my thoughts on it.

Are you really interested in getting a basher?
payaso
bitPimp

Post by payaso »

Maybe I read it wrong, but I know you're not trying to compare a Bandit to a Grasshopper, are you?

A Bandit would smoke the grasshopper on a off road track IMO. I never had a problem with mine flipping. Actually I've never had it traction roll ever. Traxxas is actually known for their silky smooth suspension, too.

"Imagination is everything. It's the preview to lifes coming attractions" -Albert Einstein
sidewinder
bitProphet

Post by sidewinder »

That's what I keep hearing, but for some reason I was faster with the cheap grasshopper than I was the faster bandit. That little GH was able to smoke rc10's and just about everything else around at the time. People laughed at first, the only mods were a trinity 540 motor (I think it was a trinity...yeah, pretty sure) and a saddle pack (strapped to the sides) to redistribute the weight a little. After I started beating people they started accusing me of cheating...which was really insulting because I really wasn't...not that I'm above it, I was just too lazy to spend the time. I don't even think I cleaned or oiled that thing more than a handful of times.

I don't really know if I'm serious about a basher or not, I saw the listing for the Traxxas and started missing having a (complete) buggy around.
PimpFloyd
bitGangsta'

Post by PimpFloyd »

I've been following this discussion basically because I want something for off-road so I'm trying to become educated...if that's possible - the choices are overwhelming. Based on A-Mains description...the Bandit package they list still requires radio gear - right?

That aside - it's a really cool looking buggy!

A-Main has a nice site/store too - pretty impressive.

PF
sidewinder
bitProphet

Post by sidewinder »

You know, now that you mention it I'll have to send an email and ask, I thought it included it since the box says "ready to race" and the VXL version says RTR "ready to run." I think it probably does because for the difference in price you'd be adding not only the radio equipment but the brushless upgrade too...it should cost more if they are adding both. If it does you could use the TX from your Bolink and just buy a receiver(it includes the XL5 esc...that's how I found it in the first place). Most RTRs even include the battery and basic charger...the VXL doesn't...I don't know if the Extreme includes it or not. :???:
PimpFloyd
bitGangsta'

Post by PimpFloyd »

I'd be really interested in what you find out. I noticed the esc in the description but didn't really see anything about a receiver or transmitter.

I kinda dig it! Pretty good price too!

Also, I was wondering if my JR Python (that I got with the Bolink) would be compatible with a more modern two channel AM RX - thanks for the heads up on that! That just adds fuel to the fire :-)

PF
payaso
bitPimp

Post by payaso »

Both the VXL Bandit and the Xl-5 Bandit are RTR. I believe the only model TRX sells without radio gear is the PE Revo.

The Bandit will be the best basher. I watch all the AE Losi Tamiya Yokomo breaking left and right at the track. Fast, but fragile. And with a few parts, the Bandit can be a racer.

crazydave
bitPimp

Post by crazydave »

payaso wrote:Maybe I read it wrong, but I know you're not trying to compare a Bandit to a Grasshopper, are you?

A Bandit would smoke the grasshopper on a off road track IMO. I never had a problem with mine flipping. Actually I've never had it traction roll ever. Traxxas is actually known for their silky smooth suspension, too.

Back in the day Traxxas used really stiff springs, and my Stampede was too bouncy. So I see what he is saying, but a Grasshopper? The Traxxas cars may have been bouncy, but at least they had oil dampers. Then again while my Rising Fighter does look goofy bouncing along, it does seem to plow through just about anything. :???:

Any rate, if that was your only glitch, you'll like the new shocks. They have patented "X-seals" that are smoother than standard O-rings, and the spring rate on the white springs feels about right to me. That was one of the enhancements that impressed me about the Nitro Sport. Something else that improved the handling is the shock towers are a lot stiffer. On my Stampede they were a rubbery nylon, that would bend as the suspension compressed. The ones on the Nitro Sport look to be identical, except they were made of a stiff composite.
crazydave's Gallery
sidewinder
bitProphet

Post by sidewinder »

Well, I guess if I'm going to be totally honest, one of the things that let me beat people in the stock buggy class on a pretty regular basis was the fact that the car was slower. You lose a lot of time when you shoot off of a corner and over the boards... the turn marshals aren't always paying attention, sometimes they might not like you so they take their time getting you back on the track, etc. It was something I learned back in my dirt bike days...if the bike (or in this case buggy) is too fast to keep on the track, you lose.

The plowing through anything was the old Tamiya buggies strength. They spent so much time dragging their bellies that they couldn't flip without a ton of help. The bottom of the GH was so scratched up that I was expecting to find holes chewed through the bottom.

I have an offer in on a used VXL at the LHS, it's in good shape, nothing broken that I could see and they said the kid that has it there really needs the money so? It comes with an almost new 5000Mah Nhim battery, a used 2300(or something like that) battery and a spare set of wheels/tires...he's asking $300. The counter guy said he hasn't had any offers and is worried about rent, so I offered $175, if he bites it should be a good deal...if not there's always something lurking around.
crazydave
bitPimp

Post by crazydave »

sidewinder wrote:Well, I guess if I'm going to be totally honest, one of the things that let me beat people in the stock buggy class on a pretty regular basis was the fact that the car was slower. You lose a lot of time when you shoot off of a corner and over the boards... the turn marshals aren't always paying attention, sometimes they might not like you so they take their time getting you back on the track, etc. It was something I learned back in my dirt bike days...if the bike (or in this case buggy) is too fast to keep on the track, you lose.
Once again I completely agree. If I could stay on the the track, I could at least place somewhere in the middle. I thought I needed the latest motor, and $100 matched cells, but I just made more mistakes with that setup, and I turned better lap times with my old motor and $10 sport packs.
crazydave's Gallery
sidewinder
bitProphet

Post by sidewinder »

I was looking at lipo batteries and it looks like they're getting cheaper, am I missing something on this? http://cgi.ebay.com/2800mAh-30C-11-1-3S ... |294%3A200

Other than being a generic ebay battery is there a reason this wouldn't be good for a buggy?