Off-Road basher suggestions...

All discussions about 1:18 scale and up electric offroad RCs.
PimpFloyd
bitGangsta'

Re: Off-Road basher suggestions...

Post by PimpFloyd »

but that Slash was a blast
Apperently, it's a very popular model and it DOES look pretty cool - just sitting still! Good vids of all these at Traxxas website too!
I would have said the Stampede
Yeah, I still really like the "pede' and will probably buy one soon as well...a guy needs at least one monster truck in his RC arsenal after all...
is it the XL5 version
Yes sir...I haven't had a chance to bone up on the built-in functions included with the ESC yet...these modern ESC's sound alot different than the old 'growlers"...based on the higher frequency, I would not of been surprised to have lured a few Cototes in the yard last night...they sound a little like a wounded rabbit :?

I also picked up an Onyx 210 - my old charger would not charge greater than 2000mah bats - I'm really pleased about this and I can't wait to drop one of these 3000mah NiMH's in my Bolink :cool:

The Onyx is a nice little charger BTW, not a do it all but simple and straight forward.

Thanks again!

PF
sidewinder
bitProphet

Post by sidewinder »

payaso wrote:
sidewinder wrote:I don't usually like 4wd but that Slash was a blast, it was even able to drift a little on the pavement without rolling, it was much more stable than I thought it would be.

The slash is a 2wd pro2 truck. The slayer is a 4wd pro4 truck.

silla :D
I thought he said is was a Nitro Slash but I just googled "nitro slash" when I read that and I don't see anything so. :?
The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities. - Ayn Rand
payaso
bitPimp

Post by payaso »

Slash = batteries 2wd

slayer = nitro 4wd.

There are 4wd slashes, but it's a slayer that's been comverted to electric.

silla :D
payaso...... :)

"Imagination is everything. It's the preview to lifes coming attractions" -Albert Einstein
sidewinder
bitProphet

Post by sidewinder »

It must have been a Slayer then, I know the one in the store was a Slash because that's what the box said, but this was nitro so I guess it was the Slayer. It was very cool though...btw, if you're near a Pep Boys check out the dune buggies...well, buggies anyway. The tires look like they're made more for woods and fields than they are for dunes. They had forward and reverse, full suspensions, and pretty decent looking seats. I've seen them from the road and never paid any attention to them, but up close they look really nice. They've come a long way from the old Montgomery Wards three wheelers and minibikes that we had when I was a kid.
The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities. - Ayn Rand
PimpFloyd
bitGangsta'

Post by PimpFloyd »

Last night I was re-reading the manual for the Bandit and noticed I sort of bypassed the motor break-in procedure in my haste to try it out. They recommend slow accel moderate speed passes on a smooth surface. First two packs were more like full throttle romps thru grass and dirt :-(

At this point, I'm wondering if I should remove the motor and let it run for a while on 3 volts worth of D-cell flash light batteries or if it's basically too late to seat/break in the brushes. It seems fine but what do I know.

I'm not too overly bummed about this I guess, if the motor goes belly up early in it's life it can be replaced relatively cheaply, it's just a stock brushed motor after all. This is lesson I won't repeat again though :roll:

PF
crazydave
bitPimp

Post by crazydave »

PimpFloyd wrote:Last night I was re-reading the manual for the Bandit and noticed I sort of bypassed the motor break-in procedure in my haste to try it out. They recommend slow accel moderate speed passes on a smooth surface. First two packs were more like full throttle romps thru grass and dirt :-(

At this point, I'm wondering if I should remove the motor and let it run for a while on 3 volts worth of D-cell flash light batteries or if it's basically too late to seat/break in the brushes. It seems fine but what do I know.

I'm not too overly bummed about this I guess, if the motor goes belly up early in it's life it can be replaced relatively cheaply, it's just a stock brushed motor after all. This is lesson I won't repeat again though :roll:

PF
Its too late, its broken in now. If it was broken in properly, you would note an insignificant performance gain, and maybe a few more hours of motor life, but you'll be fine.

The Onyx chargers are nice especially for the price. I have a review pending on one. :-o
...crazy man, crazy...dig it.
crazydave's Gallery
Ratfink says: "Man, it's the craziest"
PimpFloyd
bitGangsta'

Post by PimpFloyd »

Thanks for the reply, Dave! I feel a little better now :D
The Onyx chargers are nice especially for the price. I have a review pending on one.
Let me know if I can offer any help on the review...I purchased the basic 210 model. So far, it's (after a whole two charges) it's great!

PF
ibjamn
bitDisciple

Post by ibjamn »

PimpFloyd wrote:Last night I was re-reading the manual for the Bandit and noticed I sort of bypassed the motor break-in procedure in my haste to try it out. They recommend slow accel moderate speed passes on a smooth surface. First two packs were more like full throttle romps thru grass and dirt :-(

PF
Don't sweat it too much. You can always get another one new from flea bay. Some of those guys disassemble new vehicles, and sell the parts seperately.

Just make sure you get some motor spray, and get into the can where the brushes are. It'll last longer that way.
PimpFloyd
bitGangsta'

Post by PimpFloyd »

Thanks for the heads-up on the motor spray! I DO need to get some of that! :-o

PF
crazydave
bitPimp

Post by crazydave »

If you use motor spray, don't forget the stock motor oil. The motor spray will strip the motor of oil, and the bushings should stay lubed. If you keep your motor clean and lubed that'll do more for your motor's long term performance than the break in.
...crazy man, crazy...dig it.
crazydave's Gallery
Ratfink says: "Man, it's the craziest"
ibjamn
bitDisciple

Post by ibjamn »

oh yeah, forgot to mention that. :lol:
sidewinder
bitProphet

Post by sidewinder »

Gee, maybe that's why my motors lock-up when they sit for a few weeks :roll: :-)

Has anyone here tried the stuff from The Cow RC? I keep hearing a few people say it's great stuff, but I haven't tried anything yet.
PimpFloyd
bitGangsta'

Post by PimpFloyd »

Thanks for heads-up on lube...I didn't realize there was special oil for the motors. I'll have to use a basic light weight oil for now.

Man...it's rained buckets here in S.E. Wisconsin all weekend...good day for projects I guess :roll:

PF