Cheap DSM

All discussions about 1:18 scale and up electric offroad RCs.
crazydave
bitPimp

Cheap DSM

Post by crazydave »

I don't know how you guys feel about 2.4 Ghz DSM radios, but personally, I never really could rationalize the extra cost, until I tried one, then I decided the reliability and convenience is worth it if you can afford it. Well, cost is no longer a factor, because Tower Hobbies is releasing their 224 system, and at a base price of $80, it is cheaper than most FM radios, and the same price as many AM radios. Now that seems like a no brainer to me.

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wt ... LXWPW0&P=7" target="_blank
...crazy man, crazy...dig it.
crazydave's Gallery
Ratfink says: "Man, it's the craziest"
VooDooMafia
bitPimp

Re: Cheap DSM

Post by VooDooMafia »

for that price you can't go wrong
I Don't care what you say PIMPIN aint easy, you Broke A$$ Mother F*&Ker
payaso
bitPimp

Post by payaso »

That is a great price to get your foot in the door with a 2.4 set up. It'd be nice if they had more options, though. EPA is a must have, if you run any type of high end servo.

I'm still running the FM synth JR XS3PRO. Now that most are on 2.4, I can run on any FM channel I want at the track.

silla :D
payaso...... :)

"Imagination is everything. It's the preview to lifes coming attractions" -Albert Einstein
sidewinder
bitProphet

Post by sidewinder »

Thanks, that looks great, now if I hadn't just spent too much money on a new buggy that I'm going to have to buy a $100 battery for... :-( Well, some day... :grin:
The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities. - Ayn Rand
crazydave
bitPimp

Post by crazydave »

payaso wrote:That is a great price to get your foot in the door with a 2.4 set up. It'd be nice if they had more options, though. EPA is a must have, if you run any type of high end servo.

I'm still running the FM synth JR XS3PRO. Now that most are on 2.4, I can run on any FM channel I want at the track.

silla :D
I agree, and I think it's really blows that companies make you pay a premium for high end radios with features you will probably never use, just to get this one vital function.

That funny about your radio, I wondered how long it would be before it started getting like that.

Why a $100 Sidewinder? I think the ones in the $30-$50 range work just fine. :???:
crazydave's Gallery
sidewinder
bitProphet

Post by sidewinder »

I just bought a Bandit VXL and I think I need a 3S 30C lipo with at least 4000mHa, I know I could run a regular Nihm pack but then I wouldn't have a 70+ mph buggy, and I've managed to convince myself that I really NEED a 70+Mph buggy. :-D

I found this battery: http://www.all-battery.com/111volt-5000 ... ypack.aspx which looks like it would fill the bill...you can get an 8000mAh 3S but then your talking close to $200.

I wish I knew what the difference in run times was between 4000 and 5000mAh, there's a lot cheaper battery that would work http://hobbycity.com/hobbycity/store/uh ... oduct=7634, I may just go with the cheap one even though its 20C with a 30C burst rate.
The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities. - Ayn Rand
SHAUN
bitDisciple

Post by SHAUN »

Thats a pretty decent radio.

Theres also this one from RC4WD
http://www.rc4wdstore.com/2/product_inf ... cts_id=616" target="_blank

Also, if you can swing it, the Spektrum DX2.0 has dropped to $129.99, but no longer includes the servo's with it. I'm saving for a DX3S, for $249, you get a ton of options crammed in an awesome radio, and telemetry, and 2 receivers.
1000+ post of BS.
crazydave
bitPimp

Post by crazydave »

SHAUN wrote:Thats a pretty decent radio.

Theres also this one from RC4WD
http://www.rc4wdstore.com/2/product_inf ... cts_id=616" target="_blank

Also, if you can swing it, the Spektrum DX2.0 has dropped to $129.99, but no longer includes the servo's with it. I'm saving for a DX3S, for $249, you get a ton of options crammed in an awesome radio, and telemetry, and 2 receivers.
I have a DX3S that I reviewed for the mag. It is awesome! :-D

Sidewinder, trust me, 70mph is ridiculous, you can have plenty of fun at 45-50mph, and save up for 70mph later. :lol:
crazydave's Gallery
sidewinder
bitProphet

Post by sidewinder »

I may end up doing that, a cop friend of mine clocked my F102 at 43mph when I had the mod motor in, and it was fun, I suppose in a field it would be better. :???:
PimpFloyd
bitGangsta'

Post by PimpFloyd »

Congrats on the new Bandit! I think you'll really dig it - especially the VXL version. I would be interested to hear how it performs with NiMH...before you pop for the LiPo.

The "bug" got ya...it eventaully gets us all :wink:

PF

Oh yeah, I would also be interested in your take on the stock suspension and any mods you make to it.
crazydave
bitPimp

Post by crazydave »

sidewinder wrote:I may end up doing that, a cop friend of mine clocked my F102 at 43mph when I had the mod motor in, and it was fun, I suppose in a field it would be better. :???:
That's what I'm saying, I'm getting ready to test a 70+ mph sedan, that's a street car that is low to the ground and meant for speed, but a 70 mph Bandit, in the rough stuff? Well I suppose that would be good for a few laughs before it breaks. :lol:

Once again, my opinion of coarse. Apparently there's lots of people that get their kicks from that kind of stuff.
crazydave's Gallery
sidewinder
bitProphet

Post by sidewinder »

PF, it came with a set of stiffer springs on the back so I can give you an almost instant review on springs at least...it should be here in a couple of days.

crazydave wrote:
sidewinder wrote:I may end up doing that, a cop friend of mine clocked my F102 at 43mph when I had the mod motor in, and it was fun, I suppose in a field it would be better. :???:
That's what I'm saying, I'm getting ready to test a 70+ mph sedan, that's a street car that is low to the ground and meant for speed, but a 70 mph Bandit, in the rough stuff? Well I suppose that would be good for a few laughs before it breaks. :lol:

Once again, my opinion of coarse. Apparently there's lots of people that get their kicks from that kind of stuff.

Dave, think about it...I'm damn near crippled from close tho 30 years of doing that in full size cars...and dying to get back into one. :wink: The cool part about breaking stuff is it gives you no choice but to upgrade. The biggest difference between doing it in a 1:1 car and a 1/10 scale buggy (other than being in it of course) is that I have to pay for the parts myself, that really sucks. I decided to go with a couple of 3300mAh 7.2V sticks that I have for now, and put a little aside when I can, then after it gets boring I'll jump up to the 3S lipo.