Frizzens Losi Micro Crawler

All discussions about 1:18 scale and up electric offroad RCs.
sidewinder
bitProphet

Re: Frizzens Losi Micro Crawler

Post by sidewinder »

I almozt bought a Karmen Ghia once...until I tried to drive it, they really weren't designed for my 6'1" 275lb frame...

btw, that was mostly muscle back then :mrgreen: ...uh, well, things may have changed a little since. :lol:

and I'm shorter too...apparently that really happens :sad: , who'd a thunk it?
The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities. - Ayn Rand
Pork_Hunt
bitHood

Post by Pork_Hunt »

frizzen wrote:Working Beadlocks are awesome! You do lose a bit of tire squish though.

Not sure what mod will be next... But I've traced the chassis and beadlock rings, might have more tuning holes in the future.
Hey Frizz,
I just got myself one of these for a birthday present too. What did you use for your pvc beadlock ring? dimensions etc...? Hope this doesn't sound like a vwdickhead question, but it sounds like a few people on that thread you linked to had dramas. Just wanted to grab some known good numbers and any tips you've got, before I hack on my gorgeous little rig!
frizzen
bitDisciple

Post by frizzen »

Find the adapter coupler #51577 they mentioned, then walk around and find the female-female coupler in the BIGGER size of that adapter, then you just buy 2 instead of the 4.

0.435 inch works, but put a little bevel on both edges, it's a bit tight otherwise.

Drill vent holes in your rings, open up the holes in your rims.

I've made and mounted 2 sets on trucks, haven't done my green one yet but they've been made. Need to take my first try back off and give it a little more bevel.
Jack of all trades, master of none; yet often better than master of one.
-
End genital mutilation, don't circumcise. Restore your fore'
Pork_Hunt
bitHood

Post by Pork_Hunt »

Cheers Frizz-bomb!
Got my rears done today, I ended up using 20mm female-female couplers, one per axle. AU$0.79 each! Looks like the rings have to be about the same width as the rim, or maybe a hair narrower. I froze my rims to help break the CA holding the tyres on, worked OK, but not thrilled with it. Any tips on cleanly breaking CA glue?
sidewinder
bitProphet

Post by sidewinder »

Really hot water, almost boiling, drop the wheel in and let it sit for about 30 seconds then gently push the tire loose...oh yeah, wear gloves. :roll:
The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities. - Ayn Rand
frizzen
bitDisciple

Post by frizzen »

I dunno, I just firmly rolled them a few times to help break the CA, then picked one spot on the rim, and proceeded to gently rip it off by pushing the sidewall toward the other sidewall, once that popped, just work it around, then do the other side. Usually you find an area of thinner glue that gives up sooner.

Sorry mate, didn't realize you weren't on my continent and forgot you Aussies use french to measure things. Um, as converted on my chinese micrometer, width of 0.435" turns into 1.03 cm, 0.0103m ? *shrug* :|
-
Pork_Hunt
bitHood

Post by Pork_Hunt »

frizzen wrote:I dunno, I just firmly rolled them a few times to help break the CA, then picked one spot on the rim, and proceeded to gently rip it off by pushing the sidewall toward the other sidewall, once that popped, just work it around, then do the other side...
Great description of what I did :) One of my front tyre foams suffered a little from too much CA, but I got them both ringed, solder-weighted and star-cut-foam this afternoon. I'm taking her out tomorrow, I'll try get some pictures of her in action! ***My build thread***
frizzen
bitDisciple

Post by frizzen »

So, I got tired of the green one being a stocker to test mods against... :twisted:

Rims each got: foams removed, six 1/16" vent holes drilled, then PVC beadlock rings with 8 holes 1/4" drilled in them, then came the lead shot.

Body drop, body trim, spring removal, switch relocate, some weight reduction up top, split the servo lead strands...

Lead is GOOD! but a volume equilivilent of #8 shot to 30 grains black powder is too much per rim. Motor gets too hot, but man it's stable!
-
frizzen
bitDisciple

Post by frizzen »

-
frizzen
bitDisciple

Post by frizzen »

ok, nobody is feeling the aluminum f-100 cab. Or nobody cares.

I think I'm gonna try a different route for a scaler... XK
-
sidewinder
bitProphet

Post by sidewinder »

Oh, I didn't see it...pretty cool. BTW, how are you gluing the panels together? Shoe Goo? I can't find any anywhere, I may have to break down and get some online.

Oh, and where did you find the donor?
frizzen
bitDisciple

Post by frizzen »

Shoe-Goo for the panel adhesive, i think it's also labeled as E-6000. craft or hobby shops should have some. The Ford F100 is a Revell 1/24 model kit, fenders opened up after shaping and folded double for strength. (all edges where not glued to another panel are doubled over flat)

Now I'm leaning toward a Dollar Store rc hardbody that's been taunting me for a couple years...
a Jeep XK
2006 Jeep Commander. Rear overhang is tiny bit shorter than real, but gives a KILLER departure angle! Width and wheel arches were like it was made for the Losi.

Bring on some opinions.
-
Sqwalerrr
bitPlaya'

Post by Sqwalerrr »

:shock: that.... looks... AMAZING!!!!!!!!!!! i love it :mrgreen:
hello world! Prepare for the gayness
bitPimp

Post by betty.k »

i want one.

no, wait. maybe 2.

fuck it, gimme 17 of those fuckers!! :eek:
i used to be cool
sidewinder
bitProphet

Post by sidewinder »

That does look like it was made for the Losi. Maybe make an exo-skeleton with some styrene rod and add a couple of military style gas cans on the back.