team asscociated mini late model

All discussions about 1:18 scale and up electric offroad RCs.
sidewinder
bitProphet

Re: team asscociated mini late model

Post by sidewinder »

That does look like fun. :mrgreen: But this looks even better.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r3e-fZRrGGA[/youtube]
The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities. - Ayn Rand
frizzen
bitDisciple

Post by frizzen »

Yes. Quite. Piepans and disposable baking trays are great for making 1/10 scaler bodies, they are reasonably durable yet will take realistic damage.

Sidewinder, I'll admit that it has a certain appeal! It's awesome seeing those stupid trailers getting ruined. Reminds me of some of the TopGear races. Combine the metal body with the trailer deathrace.....
Jack of all trades, master of none; yet often better than master of one.
-
End genital mutilation, don't circumcise. Restore your fore'
sidewinder
bitProphet

Post by sidewinder »

1:1 is a lot more fun. :mrgreen:

[YouTube]http://www.youtube.com/watch#playnext=1 ... gwFT2u0buQ[/YouTube]

They do this at Sandusky Speedway every year, I keep volunteering to drive but so far no takers, and I'm way too cheap to actually build a race car just to destroy it.

Hey frizzen, any info on making the bodies?Clubs that demo the cars? I cant find anything other than a few youtube demo derby vids?
The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities. - Ayn Rand
Scorpion
bitPlaya'

Post by Scorpion »

sidewinder wrote:That does look like fun. :mrgreen: But this looks even better.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r3e-fZRrGGA[/youtube]

Ha could you imagine one of those cars taking a good hit hard enough to crack the fuel tank then running over the fire... Now that would be a show
vwmicrosizer
bitGimp

Post by vwmicrosizer »

this is were bbeat up nikko cars come in handy :grin:
frizzen
bitDisciple

Post by frizzen »

Nothing solid. I mostly learned about it trolling the boards and lurking for years. Scale4x4rc and RCcrawler have some build threads on the metal body trucks. I've seen build threads about guys doing metal demo-derby body for old pancars, with pics and the occasional video link. Unfortunately, the "remember seeing it online" part of brain is also full of stupid bad crap like goatse, meatspin, lemonparty, 2girl1cup, rickrolls... Too much chaff to remember where I found the good stuff.

Here are a couple good ones, they'll get you started.
Go sit on a tarp, your brain *WILL* explode from the sheer awesomeness.
http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/showthre ... metal+body

http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/showthre ... metal+body

Short answer: Get a cheapy hardbody you want to replicate. Get throw-away baking pans (big piepans). Hack and Mash piepan stock onto body. Shoe-goo body parts together until it looks good. Paint. Mount body. Beat on it!
-
Scorpion
bitPlaya'

Post by Scorpion »

Oh my fucking jesus!!! those bodies are beyond amazing.. I think I busted a nut looking at the toyota build. :shock:
vwmicrosizer
bitGimp

Post by vwmicrosizer »

DAMN thats a nice toyota. i looked up some information about the banger cars and sometimes they use regular bodies.
sidewinder
bitProphet

Post by sidewinder »

Those were amazing :shock: I'm a member over the but I haven't posted much...I may have to pat more attention. Thanks for the links :-o

I'm now one step closer to having the knowledge to build my all metal 1/4 scale Ferrari 256. :mrgreen:

...now I just need to learn machining so I can make the engine. :-(
Scorpion
bitPlaya'

Post by Scorpion »

Oh look what I found..

http://uniquerc.com/how-to-make-rc-car- ... ium-sheet/

Seems like it would be pretty easy to take a dollar store truck and use to bend the aluminium.. I wonder if coke cans would be thick enough to work?? the stuff he is using looks pretty thin..
frizzen
bitDisciple

Post by frizzen »

I thought aluminum cans were a little harder than the piepan material. Bentup 1100 deadsoft vs something intended to be a pressure vessel. Also panel size limitation. But EASY sponsor decals!

I'm interested in seeing if it works!
-
Scorpion
bitPlaya'

Post by Scorpion »

Well coke cans dont work all that great but the baking pans are great. All I had to try it on was the front of a hot wheel car. Im amazed by the results though and how easy it is. I cant wait to try it on larger scale.

Ill post pictures tomorrow when I get to work im on my phone now.
vwmicrosizer
bitGimp

Post by vwmicrosizer »

i had a rc banger race with my 2 friends. it wasn't fair :| . my friend mason used a 1/10 shitty nikko toyota supra with pie pan bodies of course. keegan used a 1/10 chevy silverado monster truck. i used 1/18 nikko jeep wrangler that had the circuit board in it from a radio shack jeep. it was fun as hell. and keegan got pissed off beacause mason flipped his truck.
sidewinder
bitProphet

Post by sidewinder »

You might be able to use coke/beer cans if you anneal the metal (heat it up with a torch to soften it) when you work it, it would become harder again which might be better for strength. But I'm lazy so I ordered a roll of the aluminum foil.
Scorpion
bitPlaya'

Post by Scorpion »

Well I was thinking about coke cans because it would be free.. but the pie pans are so cheap it doesnt matter lol.. You get 3 12 and a quarter by 8 and a quarter pans for $2

This was more or less just a test to see how easy it would be to work with. I never intend to finish this one mainly because I have no need for a hotwheel sized aluminuim body

I used super glue and a peice of zip tie to attach the door so it was a little messy.. I didnt want to mix up any JB weld for that little amount but If I were doing a full project I would use the JB