First Timers/Entry Level Electric Off-Road

All discussions about 1:18 scale and up electric offroad RCs.
MotorGong
bitNinja

First Timers/Entry Level Electric Off-Road

Post by MotorGong »

I tell ya, I cannot get enough of watching the vids of off-roaders. The jumps, the dirt, the stunts, the crashes, the races.

Oh YES. In due time, I will also own a killer off-roader.

Here's a good reason for me to get one too!

See, I have these kinda trashy neighbors. They have about 8 non-running autos in thier yard, along with just a ton of stuff you'd see on a stereotypical 'blue tarp farm'. :grin:
They are cool neighbors, anyhow. I rent here, and don't plan to stay forever, so I guess the huge mess doesn't bug me very much.

Well, this part of thier yard in about 50-70 paces from my front door!!
Very wide paths, 10+ feet. It goes all the way around in a complete circle, and I can use it any time I'd like. Heck, I could go out there and start digging up dirt for jumps and moguls, and these neighbors wouldn't mind. They'd come out and say, "cool, can I try your RC?" :grin:

It seems a sin to not have an off-road vehicle with a 'track' like this so close and accessible.

And I don't even know where to start. I figured I'd start with electric, but I have no clue what scale or what brand. I've done a little research, but I want the REAL story. Like breakage, parts availablility, and.....well, where to start.

I don't have a charger or a radio, I don't have anything. In about 2-3 months I'll have around $250-500 to spend on one, and wanted to start some research now.

Would you guys be willing to give me some good recommendations, and/or point me in some good directions?
BattleField 2 Stats
"Please not in the fire's neighborhood, heat, that place the spirit swim to play or take care of." ...LxxChar-G Instruction Manual
pimpsmurf
bitGangsta'

Post by pimpsmurf »

depends on what you want I guess. I'm really impressed with the rc18t. You can get one of those for $150-$200. The Factory team alloy & titanium upgrade kit is around $125. You can always get that later. 4wd ownage.

If you want to go lithium poly, get a 1500mah 10C rated battery or more. Some 270/280 size motors pull 100 amps off the line and up to 25amps CC. Remember that lithium polys are going to have a shorter cycle life before it gets too baked and can't handle the current anymore (fire. woot.)

If you are going NMHD, get a gp1100-based pack. They provide great runtimes for high current motors.

The team losi mini-t is a RWD alternative. There are loads up upgrades for it too, and it costs a little less (around $100-$125).

I'm going to hold off on 1:18 for a while. I am having a great time with my MZM. The rear gearbox really conducts that nasty motor heat away! It gets pretty warm in operation, but is so large it never gets hot (so it keeps conducting!) Now I'm working on a way to mount a fan with a filter under the second type of body (not the one with the truck bed) to blow air through pipes to the motor itself. I didn't like the idea of using flexy hose, but it looks like it is going to have to have a short piece to cover the (small) movement of the rear suspension. low-down shocks rock! =)

Hope you find something! That area looks rad! I'm hoping to get my truck running again also because I have a huge hill of dirt begging for some MZM lovin'.

-JNY
civicsr2cool
bitNinja

Post by civicsr2cool »

took the plunge recently myself :-D i would first say to u 2wd, 4wd? biggest question i think. then if u said 2wd i would say no go 4wd :lol: well im trying to tell u to get the rc18t :lol: and its prolly not the best idea to go brushless right away but it didnt stop me :?

so far with near 350 buckaroos ive gotten the rc18t kit itself, mamba brushless, airtonics servo, and 1800 lipo pack. yet to get are all the drive train mods(cvds and super diffs) and electronics.

as for you i would say rtr and then maybe new batt and the beast raptor motor. prolly easiest way for the money imo.

but if u want the mini-t well they are cheap enough to get lossa alloy before u get rc18t price.

but as always speed is money and how fast u wanna go?

:???:

hope it helped u a little bit.

prolly wouldnt hurt to go search the one18th fourums for a bit. prolly check the other models since i went straight for the rc18t i didnt even mind the others. ive heard by few that the minizilla isnt that bad nor is the vmg but thats mostly crawler choice.
[]D [] []V[] []D
evoraptor
bitNinja

Post by evoraptor »

i have a 4wd tamiya that cost me about 170 . ive driven it over practically everything, over jumps, rocks, into bushes, and hasnt broken down on me yet, only problem with mine is that it is kind of old and im not sure if it's available anymore... :( anyways, my suggestion is to get a tamiya buggy, or a monster truck if you would prefer one. they are great for bashing around and dont cost that much, although they are only moderately fast...
civicsr2cool
bitNinja

Post by civicsr2cool »

i forgot to give my input on 1:10 ahh! how did i do that. ok if u want some cheaper, fun quick laps get either a traxxas stampede, or rustler. both fun imo and nice if u ever get to take them to a real track to race stock. the pede is better cause jumps can never be too high and wheelies are unstoppable and rusties are more track junkies cause they are buggies. both are extremely extremely tough. :-o
[]D [] []V[] []D
Mazda787b
bitPlaya'

Post by Mazda787b »

You would be fine with one of the new, updated RC18T kits. It already comes with a 370 motor, and the new outdrive sleeves. Just buy a few extra battery packs, and a peak charger. Kan 1050s should suffice, and are almost as good as GP1100s, but alot less expensive. I would Reccomend a Pirhana Peak Digital charger. You can pick them up for about $40, and are PERFECT for all your Micro R/C needs.
There's no replacement for displacment.
betty.k
bitPimp

Post by betty.k »

i think you'll have the most fun with a 1:10 4wd monster buggy type chassis, like my hpi rs4 mt

unfortunately these are discontinued and there doesn't seem to be many other rc's matching that criteria. if you're willing to go nitro then there's plenty of choice! :o
i used to be cool
Tuner1989
bitNinja

Post by Tuner1989 »

Well i got a mini-t and i am pretty happy wiht the performance especially when compared to the cost. And since its rwd i can even pull some lil drifts some of the time :grin: .
stampede_dude
bitNinja

Post by stampede_dude »

If you want to do hardcore/bigger than a bump in the road, stay away from minis. People who reccomend minis for people who want to offroad pretty big most likely have never owned a 1/10th. I myself reccomend a Traxxas Stampede. (I have owned a Mini-t and a mini giant)
Its better to be hated for what you are than to be loved for what you are not
viperdout
bitGangsta'

Post by viperdout »

I had an Emaxx, and for some reason, I just love my Zilla more. If you go through lots of heavy grass, go for the Zilla or RC18MT, but if you stay on that track, RC18T.
MotorGong
bitNinja

Post by MotorGong »

Man, you guys are great!!!!!
I must have read this thread 20+ times during my research, and all of your responses have been more than helpful.
I love the different opinions and interests.....it really gives me good idea on directions to go!
I still don't have any additional questions as of yet, but I'll make sure I ask here!!!!!

:-) :-o
BattleField 2 Stats
"Please not in the fire's neighborhood, heat, that place the spirit swim to play or take care of." ...LxxChar-G Instruction Manual
payaso
bitPimp

Post by payaso »

I've been hearing a few good things about the Duratrax Mini Quake.. That'd be the one I'd go with. I just like the 8 shock set up.

silla :D
payaso...... :)

"Imagination is everything. It's the preview to lifes coming attractions" -Albert Einstein
viperdout
bitGangsta'

Post by viperdout »

payaso wrote:I've been hearing a few good things about the Duratrax Mini Quake.. That'd be the one I'd go with. I just like the 8 shock set up.

Upgrade diffs are expensive as hell though.
payaso
bitPimp

Post by payaso »

viperdout wrote:
payaso wrote:I've been hearing a few good things about the Duratrax Mini Quake.. That'd be the one I'd go with. I just like the 8 shock set up.

R/Cs, and hobbies of any sort are all expensive. That's just part of it.

I spend less on R/C in a month than your average drinker spends on alcohol for the month. And they piss that out in about an hour after it's been bought....lol

payaso...... :)

"Imagination is everything. It's the preview to lifes coming attractions" -Albert Einstein
viperdout
bitGangsta'

Post by viperdout »

payaso wrote:
viperdout wrote:

R/Cs, and hobbies of any sort are all expensive. That's just part of it.

I spend less on R/C in a month than your average drinker spends on alcohol for the month. And they piss that out in about an hour after it's been bought....lol

LOl, true, I was just pointing out the diffs are more expensive than RC18T diff upgrades. The SE kit includes them though, but I'm not sure it's RTR.