Rambling and Mini-T updates...

All discussions about 1:18 scale and up electric offroad RCs.
Bird
bitPimp

Rambling and Mini-T updates...

Post by Bird »

Welp it's been a minute since I've had interweb capabilities... first my kid fucked up IE and iTunage and a few other apps, then someone dumped a drink in the keyboard and deaded it, so a few months back I got rid of my internets connection until I could get shit together to get shit back working properly... so now I gots the newest imaccin' keyboard there is, got my browser situation situated, got all my other fucked up apps situated, and got myself hooked up with the fastest DSL hookup I could score...

Anyhoo... enough about that shit, I'm just glad to be back in Pimp City, I spunt the last week totally immersed in the hood, drooling over all of the shit I've missed... you fuckers are still the cutting edge, I give props to everybody holding this shit down.

Enough chit-chat, though... I really haven't had a chance to move forward on any of the bit/zz/other 1/64 shit I have in the works(I really do have several LONG-dormant micro projects)... anyhow, up until the magazine ad for the 18th scale nats ran, I was all into my iw01, throwing efforts into hookin' that up... all that went out the window, it was mini-t time...

I went to the nats with a more modded version of my old mini t... ssg chassis, alloy where it matters, borrowed 219s mini lst radio(fm!) and Beast Raptor v2, pushed by my Spy, powered by a Thunder Power 900mah lipo(also borrowed from 219)...

Well I had a ball that weekend, learned a lot, got my ass schooled(last place in 2wd mod, lol)... but the truck kinda devolved due to breakage and other concerns that weekend...

So here's where it stands as of last night...

I'm currently running a stock plastic chassis, alloy only where it matters... arm mounts, carriers, knuckles... blah blah... got the Losi dual disk slipper, alloy pinions, 3racing ball diff, MIP CVDs, the Losi oil shocks... the chassis is basically set up like a hooked up mini t pro... I got one of my AE xp micro recievers taped in there, using the iWaver digital tx... still using the Spy, hardwired to a 22 turn Trinity Mass Termination bb mod motor, powered by Wattage 1500mah lipo packs... the hs85bb servo I had died in Enfield, so I'm pimpin' a hs55 now... WHATEVA! SHUT UP ALREADY BIRD YA RAMBLIN' FUCK!!! SHOW ME SOME FUCKEN PICS!!11!1!!

I don't really know how well it shows, but that front end shot shows the bitPimps logo over the Losi ione in the grill...

I'm rockin' a stock mini t lid right now, and RPM revolver rims with Integy tires in front and Losis in the back...

I'ma bash it like this for this summer, but I have on stash a Trinity 10mm stretch cf chassis, and some uber-beefy BRP rods, ends, and balls... saving that shit for nats next year, though... oh and I gots a set of 6 GP1100s, matched by Orion, that I need to build a pack out of, and a Pro-Line Crowd Pleazer 2.0(18t lid) that I think will match up perfectly with the 10mm stretch(I will be commissioning paint work for this, as I've realized that I FULLY SUCK AT PAINTING!!11!!!)

Oh shit and big thanks to Chrome for the hookup on the Lunsford Fatboy ti motor screws... thanks, pimp!!
crazydave
bitPimp

Post by crazydave »

Bird! Welcome back man. :-)

The MiniT is looking pretty spiffy, I dig those wheels. :-o
...crazy man, crazy...dig it.
crazydave's Gallery
Ratfink says: "Man, it's the craziest"
betty.k
bitPimp

Post by betty.k »

we don't like strangers 'round these parts :???: :lol:

good to have you back man :-) we kept ya seat warm for ya.
i used to be cool
ph2t
bitPimp

Post by ph2t »

Dang nice mini-T you gots mate....good to see you around :-)

how's that trukin' life?

ph2t.,
People are mean to you because you're a fucking idiot.
Bird
bitPimp

Post by Bird »

It feels good to finally be back fellas, it really does... heh, now I don't have to annoy mike askin' for updates on what you guys are up to...

@dave... ya, I love these RPM rims... I wanna get a white set and dye 'em red and sport black nylocks with them.

@ph2t... the truckin' life is alright... still havin' a shitload of fun... I'm to the point where I'm all fluid-like in traffic, clutchless shifting... lovin' it. I push that fucker like it's a sports car... oh, and I've been studying up on CB mods... I wanna be the only driver in the valley with a modded radio who can say he modded it himself(lol not larrys CB shop).

Oh duh... I've been runnin' the shit outta the mini t the past few days, and this Trinity motor sucks balls... not close to how the Peak Raider I had was on lipo, and nowhere near in the ballpark the Raptor v2 I ran at the 18th nats was...

So I'm shoppin' for a new motor already... either a Team Scream(half the guys in 2wd mod at the nats ran these, and they were hella fast), or I saw on one18th.com that there are newer Raptors out now... like 17 and 15 turns... after my experience with 219s Raptor, those are reeeeal tempting.

Oh and betty... thanks for keepin' my seat warm, man :-)
ph2t
bitPimp

Post by ph2t »

@ph2t... the truckin' life is alright... still havin' a shitload of fun... I'm to the point where I'm all fluid-like in traffic, clutchless shifting... lovin' it. I push that fucker like it's a sports car... oh, and I've been studying up on CB mods... I wanna be the only driver in the valley with a modded radio who can say he modded it himself(lol not larrys CB shop).
cool man, I worked for Kenworth Australia for 4 years. mad trucks, premo price though....what rig you ride?

also, re the motor stuff. go brushless as soon as possible if you can. the upkeep on brushed motors is a pain in he arse. I went brushless from day one with my half 8 and have been very happ with the zezo maintenance too.

I have an AON4900 from aonelectric.com it's not as fast as the mamba motors but it has excellent torque, specially in the half 8 which is front and rear gear diff with a centre diff as well, so the friction is healthy in this drivetrain.

The problem with brushless is that it has this association as a crazy fast motors that make all sorts of 1:18 chassis available go nuts. or that without the right batt/esc progaming it will just cog (or dump) and perform like shit...

the truth is you don't need crazy kV ratings, just a solid, torque motor that will run cool on a 6-7 cell nimh or lipoly (best) supply. the aon I use is only 4900, mamba's have higher numbers like 6800 and 8000. It means the amount fo RPM's per volt.

so at 7.2V (6 cell nimh) a 8000kV motor would be 57.6K RPM. that's afst even in brushless terms so a HIGH KV motor will usually run hot (orhotter) than a lower kV motor.

so just gear the bugger up a bit. I'm getting a ground speed of 50-60kpH running the AON4900(15t pinion), with 11.1V lipoly and the mamba-25 esc, . That's crazy shit right, lol, but still, even at that (extreme) voltage the motor doesn't get MEGA hot, healthy hot, but not I'm gonna fry shit hot....if you get mah drift....

a good, solid torque, (relatively) low kV motor will always be a safer longterm choice, gear it up and with that minit you should get nutter speeds... on top of this there is the (proverbial) ZERO maintenance..

I dunno, sorry for the rant.....but if I was to ever get into 1:10 (final frontier, lol..) I would go brushless from the start...

ph2t.
People are mean to you because you're a fucking idiot.
sg219
bitPimp

Post by sg219 »

I've been tryin to get him to get a brushless. He just doesn't want to bite.

He seems to blame it on seeing the parts I have to replace by running a brushless in my MLST.

The thing is, I drive my MLST like its not mine!!! I beat the shit out of it.

I'm POSITIVE that a properly operated RC can be an awesome thing with a brushless.

It all depends on the final outcome you want to acheive.

If you run a Mamba-25 ESC, you can program the shit out of it. You can get VERY specific with the settings. Incredible feature that NO other ESC has.

"Death and destruction" or "Rainbows and fairy tales" :lol:

Go brushless!!!!!
crazydave
bitPimp

Post by crazydave »

I don't know why, but I'm hesitant to go brushless too. I think maybe I'm concerned about the the MLST weight, and originally being a dual motor car. I just got it in my head for some reason that a pair of brushed motors will produce tons more torque than a single brushless.

The zero maintenence thing is grabbing my interest, but I do also like trying to tune my motors as well, so I don't know.

At any rate, the first thing I'm gonna do is go lipo.
...crazy man, crazy...dig it.
crazydave's Gallery
Ratfink says: "Man, it's the craziest"
betty.k
bitPimp

Post by betty.k »

crazydave wrote:I don't know why, but I'm hesitant to go brushless too.
same here, probably because i dunno which setup is for me. i don't wanna buy the wrong thing and i only wanna buy once.
i used to be cool
Bird
bitPimp

Post by Bird »

ph2t wrote:cool man, I worked for Kenworth Australia for 4 years. mad trucks, premo price though....what rig you ride?
Boss got me in a '01 Sterling(it's a ford)... as far as tri-axle dumptruck setups go, it's great... it's really light, pretty fast(Cummins 435 powered), and the tag(third) axle steers... it's really easy to drive it like a nut lol...

What I really really dig about it is the comfort factor... I got ice cold air and a roomy ass interior complete with armrests and power windows... one of the cushiest rides in my companys' fleet... definately one of the most hustlin' lol...

I'd kill for one of them KWs, though... those things are waaaay too nice and waaay to expensive to get beat on day in day out like we do... there's an independant guy I know with a kick-ass KW... all blinged out, like 800 hp motor, auto tranny... dude has like a billion LEDs on that thing... really nice truck... he could probly sell it and buy like 3 trucks like mine lol...

PS... I'm not all anti-brushless or anything... I'm just not completely sold on that shit yet...