Prometheus: Updated with new vid 7/12/07

All discussions about 1:18 scale and up electric offroad RCs.
sg219
bitPimp

Prometheus: Updated with new vid 7/12/07

Post by sg219 »

I finally got to do something!!!!

Sometime, way back in the fall, about October. I recieved a Raptor crawler chassis, that I bought from Ripper.

At the time I was collecting all the parts that I needed for the build of my FIRST crawler. I only needed small things like screws and stuff for a bit after I recieved the chassis.

Well....

Its freakin' late JUNE and I'm finally getting to build it!!!

I hope to have it done in a week or two. I have concerts next week, every night, from Wendsday till Sunday. Plus, work. So next week is pretty shot for me building.

Here are the pics of a 1000 words.....

There are a few things that need adjusted and/or redone.

I'm not liking how I have the center links attached to the axles.

The tranny still needs build/modified and attached.

Mount battery tray.

Attach the sevo's.

Electronics home.

Mount motor.

TEST!!!!!!!!! TEST!!!!!!!

Cut, paint, and attach the body. Not sure how far I'll go with the body, but I'd like to add a couple of scale things to it.

Later,

SG
Last edited by sg219 on Thu Jul 12, 2007 2:11 pm, edited 3 times in total.
evoraptor
bitNinja

Post by evoraptor »

Wow, you got a Raptor. One thing I'm going to suggest though. Bring the chassis down.. a lot. I know you're not done testing and everything, but you should know that. Other than that.. it's a piece of artwork.. I want to do something like that but I can't find a pede tranny. :grin:
sg219
bitPimp

Post by sg219 »

evoraptor wrote:Wow, you got a Raptor. One thing I'm going to suggest though. Bring the chassis down.. a lot. I know you're not done testing and everything, but you should know that. Other than that.. it's a piece of artwork.. I want to do something like that but I can't find a pede tranny. :grin:
I'm open to all suggestions. :-o

Thanks Evoraptor.

I don't know how this length is going to work out. But I'm going to try it first.
sg219
bitPimp

Post by sg219 »

Sorry....

I split the topic and screwed up. I just quoted the posts I made the mistake with.

honda_s2000 wrote:Yea definatly bring the chassis down a little , The body is a pretty short wheelbase by the looks of it , So maybe you want to lengthen the link and have it not so "scale" , So basically the axles are infront and behind the wheel arches a little. Since you'll prolly end up trimming them alot anyway. :-o

A really nice start though , I like it alot. Should be nice and capable , And I love those tires. Id paint the wheels black or something though , Im not really a fan of chrome bling on 4wd's
Zenith wrote:From what I can tell in the pictures, the inboard links are at the best angles for articulation and resistance to axle shimmy, if you plan to stay four-link. The only better setup for articulation would be a three-link/panhard bar setup.
sg219
bitPimp

Post by sg219 »

Allrighty now...

Pics first I guess.

Time for some details.

IT WORKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

-55T Integy Lathe motor
-1/4" CF tube over ALL the rods and linkage (got for FREE)
-4/40 rods
-Monster GT shocks/not springs, they are some crap I need to change
-MOABS
-Hitec HS645-MG servo in front and Old school Futaba FP-S28 in rear. I didn't buy the correct Y-harness so I needed to use two oppisite working servos for the 4-wheel steering. The Hitec is a direct plug in, but the Futaba had to be spliced. Due to the old 3-prong plug.
-Servo mounts are Traxxas #2716
-Electronics platform is a Radio Shack project box I had lyin' around. (from an OLD ass EzEnterprises deal.)
-Locked diffs all the way around. Locked with a 2-part epoxy putty. The kind that comes in a small plastic tube, gray on the outside and white in the center. Just rip a peice off and work together with you fingers and jam into place.
-Bearings all the way around.
-JR-XR2 TX and RX
-Raptor Chassis plates, servo mounting plates, and battery holder are all products of Ripper7777777's shop.

Still need to do......

-Get better springs. Softer, shorter.
-Adjust steering throw.
-Adjust steering links.
-Paint and cut body.
-Mount body and body posts.
-Fine tune.

Test and PLAY!!!!!!!
steelwoolghandi
bitPimp

Post by steelwoolghandi »

SG that thing just looks bad to the bone! Nice work I even like the touch of making the chassis green a sure SG touch!

I cant wait to see some action pics and a body (green) on that thing!
My other hangout! R7R
My Bitpimps Gallery of Pics:
honda_s2000
bitNinja

Post by honda_s2000 »

Project "green machine" is born :-o
We don't need no god damn roads!
sg219
bitPimp

Post by sg219 »

steelwoolghandi wrote:SG that thing just looks bad to the bone! Nice work I even like the touch of making the chassis green a sure SG touch!

I cant wait to see some action pics and a body (green) on that thing!
Actually, Ripper painted the chassis for me before he sent it. I think his wife picked out the green paint!! :lol:

Thanks for the props! :-)
sg219
bitPimp

Post by sg219 »

Here are some more pics.

I got the body mounted. I used Associated body posts on the side of the chassis. I'm going to test the truck out, and see if I can lower the body a bit after testing. For now, this is where it sits.

I also cut some 1 1/4" peices of 4/40 rod and put them into a drill and installed them in the 4 screw holes of the project box that contains the elctronics. This way I can put a couple of wing nuts on there for easy opening and closing and still keep it tightly shut.

I also changed the springs all the way around. I put a set of Bandit springs on it. Front in the front and rear in the rear. Brought the ride height down about an inch.

I had it outside for a little test drive and its pretty damn fun, but I still want a looser suspension. The shocks don't seem to want to slide freely. Like they need oiled or they're bent or something. Gotta investigate a little closer.

Paint and accsesorize is all thats really left. Then some video!!!!
ph2t
bitPimp

Post by ph2t »

can't think of a better definition for "home grown" that that SG. :-o

Nice work man, you gotta growing thing for crawlers don't ya? lol....

ph2t.
People are mean to you because you're a fucking idiot.
sg219
bitPimp

Post by sg219 »

ph2t wrote:can't think of a better definition for "home grown" that that SG. :-o

Nice work man, you gotta growing thing for crawlers don't ya? lol....

ph2t.
Thanks for the props....:cool:

Needed to try my hands at something totally custom.

I'm allready plottin' on the next one.... :???: :suspect: :???:

Between all the ZZMT crawlers here at BP, and being at R7R, I eventually had to make something crawl.

...other than a newborn baby...
...or a chic on all fours...
honda_s2000
bitNinja

Post by honda_s2000 »

...or a chic on all fours...
:lol:

Nice work , Keep it up ;)
We don't need no god damn roads!
sg219
bitPimp

Post by sg219 »

I got a little further!!!

I got some minor testing and rough riding done. Everything seems to be holding up. I had one rod end rip out, but fixed it with some CA glue. I think I will eventually epoxy ALL the rod ends.

Here's some simple vid for the fans..............

Prometheus VIDEO

I also have the bod painted, but I ran out of sunlight. I'll try and have a pic or two posted soon.

I have a shitload of food to prepare for the 4th of July. Plus, my F'ed up ankle is holdin' me back a bit.

Enjoy the little vid.............

:-)
payaso
bitPimp

Post by payaso »

Coolio dude. Looks like it's got some torque... Are you going to gear it down a bit, or that's your final gearing?

Bitchin truck man. Looks scale.

silla :D
payaso...... :)

"Imagination is everything. It's the preview to lifes coming attractions" -Albert Einstein
sg219
bitPimp

Post by sg219 »

Thanks.

Its the final gearing. It has an assload of torque. Perfect for rolling over some obsure rocks and terrain.

As "Bird" says...."It has one HELL of a 'stoppie' thing going on."

Just gotta find some good crawlin' rocks. Got some in mind. :???: :-o