Using a kneaded eraser to lock my diff

All discussions about 1:18 scale and up electric offroad RCs.
crazydave
bitPimp

Using a kneaded eraser to lock my diff

Post by crazydave »

I was reading one of the mags, and they were using this Kyosho stuff to lock their diffs. They mentioned it had a consistancy like a kneaded eraser, and that they tried and it even erased pencil lines. I figured kneaded erasers are just rubber, probably is the same. So I tried it to lock the center diff on my Mini LST.

This stuff is great for locking diffs. Its not completely locked, it still has a little spin, but for for all practical intents and purposes, its locked. Enough to where it lifts the front wheels off the ground a little under acceleration, and if I have the slightest bit of reverse momentum it flops right on its back. Its helped pull me out of some tight spots too. But if you hold the front or rear wheels to test worst case scenario, it'll spin just a little, but with a great deal of resistance, which is good because that helps protect the rest of the drivetrain. Best of all it peels right out of the gears, no mess.
...crazy man, crazy...dig it.
crazydave's Gallery
Ratfink says: "Man, it's the craziest"
betty.k
bitPimp

Post by betty.k »

sounds similar to the xmod kids locking their gear diffs with silly putty.

you reckon this stuff would hold up in a 1:10 offroader gear diff?

oh and damn good find, thanks for the tip :-o
i used to be cool
crazydave
bitPimp

Post by crazydave »

betty.k wrote:sounds similar to the xmod kids locking their gear diffs with silly putty.

you reckon this stuff would hold up in a 1:10 offroader gear diff?

oh and damn good find, thanks for the tip :-o
They were using the Kyosho stuff in an 1/8th scale diff, so if this is in fact exactly the same, then it should, but since I have neither the Kyosho stuff to compare, nor a 1/10th vehicle, I can't confirm that for a fact, but I reckon it would.
...crazy man, crazy...dig it.
crazydave's Gallery
Ratfink says: "Man, it's the craziest"
betty.k
bitPimp

Post by betty.k »

last question, do you use any lube as well or just the gummy eraser?
i used to be cool