Dog's New Mamba 18B

All discussions about 1:18 scale and up electric offroad RCs.
dogbreathracing
bitPlaya'

Dog's New Mamba 18B

Post by dogbreathracing »

It's been awhile since I did anything new, and my racing buddies have been on me to get back into off-road ....so I have taken the side yard (was really brush, weeds, and small scrub trees) and transformed it into a free-style 1/18th scale off-road track, and then picked up a couple of Pro-Pulses and a Mamba powered RC18B.
You may have read my review on the Pro-Pulse, which is a good car for the money.....but I wanted something rock solid, has readily available parts, good handling, and an ample performer (meaning I wanted a bit more than stock speed, but didn't want to have to change brushes in a mod motor all the time, and wanted to be able to dial the motor to the power setting I wanted) this really only left one obivous choice....Brushless.
With the current pricing as low as $100, I couldn't pass up this oportunity. The first choice I had to make was how fast did I really NEED to go? The Mamba 25 combos start with the 42K motor which is about stock speed with a 6 cell pack but with longer run times, the 54K is quite a bit faster than stock with a 6 cell, still has great run time, and things can start to get really interesting with a 7 cell or 2/3 Lipo pack (this is about where I wanted to be for speed and run time) Then come the 64K, and 80K motors....great for speed runs, large ovals, and serious racing, but way to hot for the size track we are running on (approx 25X60 ft)
I went with the 54K, it is very nice, plenty of power, good speed (which is adjustable through settings in the ESC)
Will be giving some better impressions after tomorrows GTG when I unleash this on the other racers and see how it actually compares head to head with the other cars.........

....Hey Superfly! When you gonna get a 18 and come out and play? Call me and lets race!

Now the pics:
RC18B Mamba Powered, 54K motor

RC18B Mamba 25 ESC

Dogbreath Racing RC18B/Mamba with fresh paint

Dog's Free-Style Off-Road Track

Dog's Free-Style Off-Road Track 2
R/C Crash Test Dummy
Maxximum Attack
bitDisciple

Post by Maxximum Attack »

Warp Speed Tom... :-D

crazydave
bitPimp

Post by crazydave »

Cool, great to see someone staying sane with the brushless. You'll have let us know how it works out on that track. Nice track BTW.

Yeah, Superfly, when you gonna get a 18B and go race dogbreath? :lol:

(I'm just giving him shit because I know he just dropped some dough into his Micro-T)
...crazy man, crazy...dig it.
crazydave's Gallery
Ratfink says: "Man, it's the craziest"
dogbreathracing
bitPlaya'

Well the Mamba system performed exactly as expected, which is really nice since it is still set at level 1 timing so there are still three more settings to go as I get used to this kind of power. Brushless is so much more linear in it's response.
All I can say is....COOL!!!

...the others are already planning thier own up-grade to brushless since seeing this one run on our track...

...come on Fly, I know you've read this....weather is getting better every weekend, and do you remember that we BBQ after racing...
R/C Crash Test Dummy
dogbreathracing
bitPlaya'

New vid of some RC18's on my home track (but no vid of the Mamba yet)

Check it out.

http://rcuvideos.com/item/M20RCLRLWFQXZB0C
R/C Crash Test Dummy
sidewinder
bitProphet

Post by sidewinder »

Nice track, but what's really amazing id how two 1/18 scale cars managed to hit that tiny tree at almost exactly the same time. I'll bet you couldn't do that again if you tried. :-o
The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities. - Ayn Rand
dogbreathracing
bitPlaya'

The track is fairly small and at top speed it is very easy for the following driver to tag on the tail of the lead car, which works great .....until the lead car hits something, the following car usually does the same....

....But it's still a load of fun to drive on.
R/C Crash Test Dummy