1:12 Tamiya Lunchbox

All discussions about 1:18 scale and up electric offroad RCs.
Clint
bitPimp

1:12 Tamiya Lunchbox

Post by Clint »

This was the reissue kit of the Tamiya Lunchbox. I dont know what
to say. Chassis design is ancient, rear suspension is LMAO ugly,
front wheels have mad camber and wide steering issues, rear axle clunks
against the chassis when you hit the throttle causing it to wheelie, cheap
friction shocks cause it to bounce uncontrollably and to top it off it's top
heavy and only 2wd.

AND I LOVE EVERY BIT OF IT! It's just as i remembered 20 years ago. :lol: :razz:

finished building it, but only just started to paint the body.

sg219
bitPimp

Post by sg219 »

Ahhhh, how cute. A little mini lunch box... :lol:

Looking good. Be sure to bounce that thing right into a vid. Everyone shoots vids of their "new" RC's. :-o
Bird
bitPimp

Post by Bird »

Couple of guys in my neighborhood had Lunchboxes/Midnight Pumpkins back in the day... and even back then, there was way more technologically advanced stuff around, but something about these simplified wheelie machines just kicked so much ass... too much fun... and they still are...

After I get my scaler done, I'm getting me an OG Tamiya to play with... still torn between this and the re-re Subie Brat, though...
crazydave
bitPimp

Post by crazydave »

I've wanted a Wild Willy since I was a kid. I also wouldn't mind the Lunchbox or Midnight Pumpkin, but Wild Willy was always my preference. I'm thinking I'll buy one for my kid when he gets just a little bit older.
...crazy man, crazy...dig it.
crazydave's Gallery
Ratfink says: "Man, it's the craziest"
payaso
bitPimp

Post by payaso »

crazydave wrote:I've wanted a Wild Willy since I was a kid. I also wouldn't mind the Lunchbox or Midnight Pumpkin, but Wild Willy was always my preference. I'm thinking I'll buy one for my kid when he gets just a little bit older.

Same here... Just something about em.

I did end up gettina a Maruchi Big Bear.. That thing rocked.

silla :D
payaso...... :)

"Imagination is everything. It's the preview to lifes coming attractions" -Albert Einstein
evoraptor
bitNinja

Post by evoraptor »

payaso wrote:
crazydave wrote:I've wanted a Wild Willy since I was a kid. I also wouldn't mind the Lunchbox or Midnight Pumpkin, but Wild Willy was always my preference. I'm thinking I'll buy one for my kid when he gets just a little bit older.

Didn't the Big Bear (I believe it's Marui? not so sure about Maruchi) have the ability to float or something? I vaguely remember something like that.

Awesome, a lunchbox. Simplicity at it's best.
payaso
bitPimp

Post by payaso »

evoraptor wrote:
payaso wrote:

Didn't the Big Bear (I believe it's Marui? not so sure about Maruchi) have the ability to float or something? I vaguely remember something like that.

Awesome, a lunchbox. Simplicity at it's best.
Yeah, you're right. It's Marui. My brain is toast. Didn't ever try to float it. I ran foams on the rear for wheelies....lol

payaso...... :)

"Imagination is everything. It's the preview to lifes coming attractions" -Albert Einstein
Clint
bitPimp

Post by Clint »

Paint is pactra acryl transparent amber. In person the shadows/edges/corners/nooks and crannies look candy yellow with a base of orange, camera didnt capture the effect. boo :o
it's basically the same color shading sequence as the orange/yellow smilies on this site. ie-> 8)

some chassis mods: Front camber fix, 1/4 front rake, stiffened rear axle roll springs. Electronics consist of the stock tamiya esc and 540 motor, tower pro metal gear servo and fm75 novak xxl rx and some generic 3000mah 6 cell nimh.